Migas Tex Mex Brunch

PanchoHambre

Migas are one of my favorite Tex-Mex dishes and were very popular in Houston at both taquerias and trendy brunch places. This was the perfect meal for a Saturday brunch after a night of partying gearing up for a weekend of more partying. It works for dinner as well but in my mind is really a brunch dish and definitely falls into the comfort food category. The heat from the chillies is balanced by the eggs and tortillas and condiments. It is flavorful but not hot. The base of this dish is basically eggs-salsa-chilies and fried bits of corn tortilla served in flour tortillas (like tacos) with beans, PicoDeGallo and other condiments. It leaves a lot of room for interpretation. It is a quick meal especially if you have the beans and Pico on hand and very savory and filling. Here’s my take on it.

Migas

8-10 Large Eggs
½ lb Bacon
4 Jalapeno Peppers (seeded & diced)
3 TBS Salsa (your choice)
8 Med Flour Tortillas
4 Corn Tortillas
¼ Cup Milk
S&P (to taste)
Accoutrements:
1/ Bunch Fresh Cilantro (stemmed and diced)
2 Cups Pico De Gallo (recipe follows)
2 Cups BBQ Pinto Beans (recipe follows)
1 Haas Avocado peeled and sliced
6 oz Queso Fresco Crumbled
1 Cup Sour Cream
Hot sauce of your choosing
1 six-pack beer (preferably Shiner Bock)

Cut corn tortillas into small pieces and set aside (I cut a diagonal grid forming small triangles about ½” the long way)
Add eggs and milk s&p to large mixing bowl. Beat in the salsa until the mixture is fluffy.
Add the jalapenos to the egg mixture and set aside
Fry bacon in a large skillet. Set bacon aside and reserve grease in skillet.
Keeping skillet on the flame add tortilla pieces and fry in bacon grease until golden brown.
Add egg/salsa mixture to skillet and stir to combine with the fried tortilla pieces until eggs are completely cooked.
*When the eggs are almost done warm flour tortillas in oven

Serve Egg tortilla mixture with Tortillas, Pinto Beans, Bacon, Pico DeGallo, Cilantro, Sour Cream & Hot Sauce. Ingredients can be folded in the tortillas to the taste of the diner and eaten with hands like a taco. Beans can be on the side or thrown into the tortilla with the rest of it (I include)
Drink the beer while eating

Pico De Gallo

2 medium tomatoes (seeded and diced)
½ Red Onion (diced)
2 Jalapenos (seeded and diced)
½ Bunch Cilantro (stemmed and chopped)
1 clove garlic (minced)

Juice from 2 limes
S&P to taste

Combine all ingredients mix and chill in covered dish

BBQ Beans

1 Can Pinto Beans (drained and rinsed)
½ Sweet Onion (diced)
1 medium Tomato (diced)
2 TBS Lard
2 cloves Garlic (minced)
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp Mustard
1 Tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
½ Cup BBQ sauce

Add lard to sauté pan heat until melted
Caramelize onions in hot lard
Add tomato and garlic and sauté until sweat
Add Beans & remaining ingredients to pan and mix well.
Place lid on statute pan, lower heat, simmer until mixture thickens (about 1/2 hr) stirring occasionally.

Substitutions:

Chorizo can be substituted for bacon. Meat can be omitted entirely for a vegetarian dish but oil must be added to pan to fry the tortilla bits
Serrano Peppers or any hot chili can be used in place of jalapenos

Mild cheddar can be subbed for the Queso Fresco.

Beer is optional… if Shiner Bock is not available a German inspired TX brew is preferable but any beer will suffice in a pinch. Bloody Mary’s or Mimosas are acceptable as is cinnamon roasted coffee.

If you do not have or feel like making PicoDeGallo salsa will do (a chunky version would be preferable)

Migas are usually served with refried beans, I am not a fan and I find the BBQ beans add more flavor to the dish but you could use canned prepared beans of you choosing or any recipe you like)

[FONT=&quot]This recipe should serve 4. It can easily be reduced but is tough to reduce the Pico and Beans recipes because you end up with a lot of part ingredients. They are only condiments in the dish so not much is needed so you will have extra

[/FONT]
P1010002.jpg

My photo is wrong on 2 counts. 1 I used large tortillas because that’s what I had so ended up with more burrito proportions , 2 there is not avocado because the available avocados sucked.

simplicity

You did it! You wrote a recipe for this dish that many of us don't have a recipe for. At first glance I thought "Wow, his migas must be a lot fancier than mine." Then I started reading and decided they were about the same. It's comfort food for me as well.

Thanks for taking the time to write a recipe.

PanchoHambre

. At first glance I thought "Wow, his migas must be a lot fancier than mine." Then I started reading and decided they were about the same. It's comfort food for me as well.

LOL...its all those darned condiments.... but they really make it good...
I was surprised that the directions got so long for what is basically a breakfast taco.... my buddy Chuy just showed me once so I never had a recipe.

Migas always on my list when I visit... always at Buffalo Grille

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I just printed this out. Looks great for a Saturday night dinner this fall!

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I made a version of Migas that Chris Kimball posted in his Milk Street newsletter.

Used eggs, turkey chourico, chopped kale, red onion, garlic and homemade croutons (they MADE the dish!)

Great dinner!

I will be experimenting with more migas variations.

Anyone have a favorite?

Lee

Attachments

• Migas.JPG
    Migas.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 120