Eye of Round Roast

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I don't usually buy this cut because I never can get it tender enough for my taste but, since it was marked down at Sam's when I was there, I decided what the heck. I'll give it another try. I'm going to try the America's Test Kitchen method and see how it goes. I'll post picks and a review tomorrow. I cut the roast in half since it was 5 lbs and then salted each half and wrapped it in plastic wrap. It needs to sit for 24 hours so I'll roast it tomorrow. Anyone else tried this method?

America's Test Kitchen Eye Of Round Roast

1 boneless eye-round roast (3½ to 4½ pounds) (see note)
4 teaspoons kosher salt or 2 teaspoons table salt
2 teaspoons vegetable oil plus 1 tablespoon
2 teaspoons ground black pepper

Sprinkle all sides of roast evenly with salt. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate 18 to 24 hours. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 225 degrees. Pat roast dry with paper towels; rub with 2 teaspoons oil and sprinkle all sides evenly with pepper. Heat remaining tablespoon oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until starting to smoke. Sear roast until browned on all sides, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer roast to wire rack set in rimmed baking sheet. Roast until meat-probe thermometer or instant-read thermometer inserted into center of roast registers 115 degrees for medium-rare, 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 hours, or 125 degrees for medium, 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 hours. Turn oven off; leave roast in oven, without opening door, until meat-probe thermometer or instant-read thermometer inserted into center of roast registers 130 degrees for medium-rare or 140 degrees for medium, 30 to 50 minutes longer. Transfer roast to carving board and let rest 15 minutes. Slice meat crosswise as thinly as possible and serve.

NOTE: Serves 6 to 8. Published January 1, 2008. From Cook's Illustrated. We don't recommend cooking this roast past medium. Open the oven door as little as possible and remove the roast from the oven while taking its temperature. If the roast has not reached the desired temperature in the time specified in step 3, heat the oven to 225 degrees for 5 minutes, shut it off, and continue to cook the roast to the desired temperature. For a smaller (2 1/2- to 3 1/2-pound) roast, reduce the amount of kosher salt to 3 teaspoons (1 1/2 teaspoons table salt) and black pepper to 1 1/2 teaspoons. For a 4 1/2- to 6-pound roast, cut in half crosswise before cooking to create 2 smaller roasts. Slice the roast as thinly as possible and serve with Horseradish Cream Sauce ), if desired.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
not that "exact" method, but I'm a big fan of low&slow roasting - which takes time, but pretty much produces the juicy / tender result.

for poultry I've found 235'F in my oven works to render out the fat, for beef/pork, 245'F - that being a "roast until done (temp)" approach.

the eye round is typically quite lean, so I would expect a lower temp with the 'oven off' heat soak time should work just peachy keen presuming you've got a good read on the thermometer..... I'm actually not a fan of the 'turn off & wait" type methods - I've found the approach too variable when one is aiming / committed for "dinner at x:yy"

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I don't buy that cut of beef for the same reason you stated, Mama. But I am a believer in ATK, so I'll be very interested in your results.

I know it's a favorite of either Peep's or Lifesaver's ... or both.

Lee

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Okay, so here's what I did:

I cut the roast in half since it was 5 lbs., then salted it pretty well and gave it a good sprinkling of garlic powder. Then I wrapped it in plastic wrap and refrigerated it for a little over 24 hours.

After removing it from the fridge and unwrapped it, I patted it dry and then rubbed a Tablespoon of Canola Oil on the outside of each half roast and then sprinkled them with pepper.

I seared all sides of the roast in a frying pan until nicely browned and then place them on a wire rack on a rimmed baking sheet covered with foil.

I roasted them in a preheated 225° oven until they reached an internal temperature of 125° (about 2 hours). The recipe called for cutting the oven off, which I did and leaving the roast undisturbed in the oven until it reached an internal temperature of 140° for medium. They said it should take about 50 minutes. I guess that must be for electric ovens. Mine is a gas and it must have cooled off too quickly because after 30 minutes, it was still at 128° Sooo.....I decided to turn the oven back on to 200° until it reached 140°. I removed it from the oven and let it sit for about 10 minutes before slicing it as thin as I could with an electric knife. The whole process ended up taking about 4 hours.

Was it worth it.....a resounding YES! It was very moist, tender and perfectly pink all the way through! Hands down the best eye of round roast I have ever had! I highly recommend this method.

Attachments

• eyeofroundroast.jpg
    eyeofroundroast.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 223

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
My favorite cut to roast.

I cook mine 15 minutes a lb. First 15 @ 550F then down to 350F for the remaining time. They are always tender, moist and flavorful to me.

Yours looks just like mine does nice and pink. Slice thin YUMMY!! I make burgundy pan gravy to serve with mine.

bunyap

Yes, I have used this method several times for parties and dinner. It is always a hit. Although the eye is not my favorite cut, I have always had success with this method and it is a quick cook too. I freeze left overs and even that is good.

CharlieD

Eye of round roast? Is it like lion? If yes then Chateaubriand is a perfect thing to make. It is not only the best part of meat you can get it is also the easiest one to make. If you have grill preheat it and put the seasoned meat at 45 degrees on the grates, just long enough to leave “burnt” marks, turn 90 degrees to get the marks going diagonally. Now turn it upside down. Repeat the “burnings”. When done, put it in the oven for 12-20 minutes, do not, please do not overcook. At the most make it medium. While it is in the oven, mix some horseradish with some sour cream or mayo, whatever you like/prefer, about half and half. Take meat of the oven let it rest for about 10 minutes. Remember during that time meat is still cooking. Slice it against the grain serve with the sauce you just made. Heaven.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
That looks like a delicious recipe Charlie but isn't Chateaubriand made with beef tenderloin? I don't think that recipe will work with Eye of Round. Eye of round is a fairly inexpensive cut of meat that can be pretty tough. If you seared it and put it in the oven for 20 minutes, it would be "ice cube rare" in the middle and probably the consistency of shoe leather.

That does sound like a wonderful way to cook a tenderloin though. I'll be putting that recipe on my "to do" list. Thank you!

CharlieD

That is why I asked what Eye round was? I was not familiar with the term. I thought it was an eye of the roust.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
That is why I asked what Eye round was? I was not familiar with the term. I thought it was an eye of the roust.

Sorry CharlieD.....I read your post a little too quickly :poster_oops:.
The eye of round comes from here:

Attachments

• beef-chart.jpg
    beef-chart.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 189