National Ice Cream Day – July 19, 2020

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
National Ice Cream Day – July 19, 2020

https://nationaltoday.com/national-ice-cream-day/

Thanks to President Reagan, we celebrate National Ice Cream Day every third Sunday in July, meaning July 19 this year. Reagan wanted to commemorate a treat enjoyed by over 90 percent of the US population. In 1984, he decreed a day for ice cream and his proclamation actually glorified the dairy industry in America. In fact, Americans still lead the world when it comes to eating this frozen delight: 23 gallons a year to be precise. Reagan also proclaimed July as National Ice Cream month, describing ice cream as ‘‘a nutritious and wholesome food enjoyed by over ninety percent of the people in the United States.’’ Since then, the holiday has sparked world-wide cravings and is traditionally celebrated year after year. Standing in the frozen food aisle trying desperately to make a choice? Or brainstorming how to celebrate this fabulous day? Well, look no further. Inspiration has arrived.

HISTORY OF NATIONAL ICE CREAM DAY

There’s no known inventor that can be credited with creating ice cream unfortunately. But the history of ice cream is as rich as gelato. It’s been said that an ice cream like food was first consumed in China sometime between 618-97 AD. The first dish was made from flour, buffalo milk and camphor, an organic compound commonly used in lotion. It’s also been noted that Alexander the Great adored ice and snow flavoured with nectar and honey.

We’ve also identified that the Bible indicates that King Solomon enjoyed iced drinks during the harvest season. Speaking of homemade, during the Roman Empire, Caesar would send people to gather snow from the mountains, just to cover it in fruit and juices.

Close to a thousand years later in Italy, Marco Polo had returned from the Far East and bought back a recipe for what we now know as sherbet. It is assumed that this recipe developed into what we now know as ice cream which was once called ‘‘Cream Ice.’ It was in 1660 that the general public was presented with ice cream. An Italian man named Francesco Procopio Dei Coltelli decided to perfect a machine made by his fisherman grandfather which produced top-quality gelato in his café. The recipe blended milk, butter, eggs and cream and was sold in Paris.

The first mention of ice cream in the United States derives from a letter written in Maryland in 1744 by Governor William Bladen’s guest. Then, the New York Gazette on May 12, 1777 printed the first advert for ice cream in the United States. Following the American Revolution, ice cream became super popular in the US.

Since then ice cream has exploded onto the desert scene with the creation of home machines, as well as the emergence of ice cream vans, ice cream floats, sundaes and well-known brands like ‘‘Ben and Jerry’s’’ and ‘‘Haagen-Dazs’’ that we still consume to this day. The effect of ice cream on society is so great, that the brain of an ice cream lover has been likened to that of an addict. When the brain wants ice cream, it reacts like a passionate fanatic.

Attachments

• E780ACE4-1F15-48C6-A57F-361334E3B144.jpg
    E780ACE4-1F15-48C6-A57F-361334E3B144.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 88

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter

Attachments

• E9833607-BEDA-4FB5-ADCE-EFE2CCA0A83E.jpg
    E9833607-BEDA-4FB5-ADCE-EFE2CCA0A83E.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 79857C96-165A-4E40-8293-665E3E2040A1.png
    79857C96-165A-4E40-8293-665E3E2040A1.png
    187.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 3CB072CF-7943-4423-8C14-B4907BDE0A22.png
    3CB072CF-7943-4423-8C14-B4907BDE0A22.png
    42.6 KB · Views: 91

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
More . . .

Attachments

• DABE32FD-D646-4DBB-B780-90EDC225E65A.gif
    DABE32FD-D646-4DBB-B780-90EDC225E65A.gif
    499.9 KB · Views: 91

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
After that recall when they knew there was a problem and chose to ignore, I have banned them from my home forever.

I guess I missed that? Been out of country 24 years in Bryers land. (Virginia)

Last edited:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
WOW! How did I miss this? :hide:

3 folks died! 8 million gallons recalled!

https://www.cdc.gov/listeria/outbreaks/ice-cream-03-15/index.html

It's been so long ago that I don't remember if I first found out about it on here or if I already knew about it. I'm pretty sure it was on here, and I posted basically the same thing....Blue Bell will never pass my lips again. I think a poster named waybomb, who used to post about recalls, said something about it. I can't find that thread right now. I always read his stuff. Miss his posts.

Putting profits over public safety is just a no-go for me. It's right up there with the gougers overcharging for bags of ice after a hurricane.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
It's been so long ago that I don't remember if I first found out about it on here or if I already knew about it. I'm pretty sure it was on here, and I posted basically the same thing....Blue Bell will never pass my lips again. I think a poster named waybomb, who used to post about recalls, said something about it. I can't find that thread right now. I always read his stuff. Miss his posts.

Putting profits over public safety is just a no-go for me. It's right up there with the gougers overcharging for bags of ice after a hurricane.

Fred is in the meat processing business so he looks at all the recalls. I’ll ask him to stop by more often. He’s a member of Doc’s FF forum.

If he posted then guess it didn’t register with me. At the time I didn’t think I would be back in Texas.

Jim

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Fred is in the meat processing business so he looks at all the recalls. I’ll ask him to stop by more often. He’s a member of Doc’s FF forum.

If he posted then guess it didn’t register with me. At the time I didn’t think I would be back in Texas.

Jim

I sent him a message.

Jim

waybomb

I'll start posting them USDA recalls again, but haven't been all that many. Mostly it's been a label error, such as not listing a allergen that was not noted on an ingredient label used. I have not seen a listeria, ecoli or salmonella in a long time.
Label recalls, to me, are stupid.

The ice cream recall was many many moons ago. I never saw the official finding, but iirc, it was problem with the HTST back feeding raw milk. Could be a different recall though. Not sure.

Yup, love my toys.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
I'll start posting them USDA recalls again, but haven't been all that many. Mostly it's been a label error, such as not listing a allergen that was not noted on an ingredient label used. I have not seen a listeria, ecoli or salmonella in a long time.

The ice cream recall was many many moons ago. I never saw the official finding, but iirc, it was problem with the HTST back feeding raw milk. Could be a different recall though. Not sure.

Yup, love my toys.

Thanks Fred!

Cooksie

Site Supporter

Yup, love my toys.

I appreciate your posting the calls :thankyou:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
When jim slagle and talked about this earlier, I found this:

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/blue...uilty-and-pay-1935-million-ice-cream-listeria

Blue Bell Creameries Agrees to Plead Guilty and Pay $19.35 Million for Ice Cream Listeria Contamination – Former Company President Charged
Texas-based ice cream manufacturer Blue Bell Creameries L.P. agreed to plead guilty to charges it shipped contaminated products linked to a 2015 listeriosis outbreak, and the company’s former president was charged in connection with a scheme to cover up the incident, the Justice Department announced today.

In a plea agreement filed with a criminal information in federal court in Austin, Texas, Blue Bell agreed to plead guilty to two misdemeanor counts of distributing adulterated ice cream products and pay a criminal fine and forfeiture amount totaling $17.25 million. Blue Bell also agreed to pay an additional $2.1 million to resolve civil False Claims Act allegations regarding ice cream products manufactured under insanitary conditions and sold to federal facilities. The total $19.35 million in fine, forfeiture, and civil settlement payments constitutes the second largest-ever amount paid in resolution of a food-safety matter.

In a related case, Blue Bell’s former president, Paul Kruse, also was charged with seven felony counts related to his alleged efforts to conceal from customers what the company knew about the listeria contamination.