“Memories” of Woodstock and Beyond....1969

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
“Memories” of Woodstock and Beyond....
We purchased our three-day passes ($36 for two) well in advance and when that Thursday came, off we went....... our adventure came to an end at exit 19 on the New York State Thruway, where State Troopers informed us that if we went any farther, we’d bump into a 14-mile long parking lot just up the road..... we were not THAT adventurous ! I gave our tickets to the Trooper, (he asked if he could have them for a souvenir, and they were NO refundable...) got off the Thruway, passed under it, and got back on going south..... end of the adventure.

In July of the following year, we spent another$42 (almost half of my weekly take-home pay) to attend the Powder Ridge (Conn.) Rock Festival, billed as Woodstock North.... This time, we took the train out of Grand Central, rather than drive... When we arrived at our destination,at about 10 at night, there was a line of local teens in their vehicles, waiting to give us a lift out to the site...When we were dropped off, at the private road back to the Ski Resort that was Powder Ridge, we had to walk in, carrying our gear, for about three miles. We got to the site about midnight, found room to pitch our tent, and tried to get some sleep.... we were back up at dawn, only to find that the night before, a group of local
landowners / farmers had secured an injunction, barring the event from taking place.... Well, with over 60,000 of us already on site, they could stop the music from happening, but they could not stop the party..... We had three days of a great party !
We DID get to hear some music... There was an auxiliary Stage set up outside the main gate, probably to keep any overflow crowd entertained... Somebody Wired the Sound system into a Mr. Softee truck, and some local bands performed there .... The only scheduled acts that played on that stage though, were Melanie, and Ten Years After...

Got back to the city about 8:am the following Tuesday, and slept for 20 hours .!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Great Story, loved it!
I bet you and the warden had a great time even though things didn't turn out as planned.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow. :clap: :clap: Great story.
A friend of mine ...semi friend I should say said his brother was going to NY for some concert. It was Woodstock. I never saw the semi friend again to find out if he made it there or not. I suspect a lot tried and didn't quite see the show.