Any ideas on cooking a Boston Butt Pork Roast?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
The other day, DW came home with two huge Boston Butts in a large plastic wrapper. I opened them up and froze them individually. She caught them on sale for 99 cents a pound, so now I have 2 huge 9lb Boston Butts. Obviously, I should smoke one. That’s an 8-10 hour job for sure.

The other, and then one I’ll probably cook first, needs to be done a different way.

So I’m searching for ideas on yummy TNT alternatives to cooking a Boston Butt. With enough ideas, I plan to make a recipe to do this first 9lb beast in the Outdoor DO. I’m pretty sure it will fit! :lol:

Any favorite ways to cook a Boston Butt other than smoking it?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
You can roast it in the oven like most roasts or smoke it like I would. When I smoke it I use a rub and mustard with a blend of woods such as cherry, hickory, apple and mesquite. As for oven cooking I would still use a rub of some kind with fat side up and a bit of water in the bottom of the roasting pan. Now set the over 350 and put the roast the in the oven and take it out when internal temperatures hit about 145 to 155 degree and let it rest. Now you can make a decent gravy with the drippings in the bottom of the pan.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I was thinking of a Crockpot style recipe. Any ideas for a liquid mixture. Maybe add veggies, etc? I'm going to modify it for the Outdoor DO. I figure I can run the DO for 3-4 hours and it will be done.

I'd considered using Apple Juice, Teriyaki, maybe a splash of vinegar.........

Lefty

Yank
I was thinking of a Crockpot style recipe. Any ideas for a liquid mixture. Maybe add veggies, etc? I'm going to modify it for the Outdoor DO. I figure I can run the DO for 3-4 hours and it will be done.

I'd considered using Apple Juice, Teriyaki, maybe a splash of vinegar.........
You just need about an inch of stock, I like to throw in an onion, pepper & garlic and give the but a good dry rub before cooking it. Save the liquid at the end for a gravy starter.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I agree with Lefty on that Keltin and apple juice or apple vinegar would also work well in the broth. Apple and pork just go perfectly together.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
So, would you use Chicken stock (instead of beef stock)? Sounds good...chicken stock, apple juice, splash of apple cider vinegar, and some oinions. Sounds real good!

Lefty

Yank
So, would you use Chicken stock (instead of beef stock)? Sounds good...chicken stock, apple juice, splash of apple cider vinegar, and some oinions. Sounds real good!

Either is fine, you can use all apple juice if you like or any combo.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Actually you could chicken, beef, veal or even vegetable stocks for it Keltin. I've use them all from time to time.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i had to throw my thoughts in here Keltin..lol

a pork butt not in the smoker?..wtf..j/k....lol

i occasionally(shhhhhhh dont tell anyone...lol) smoke it for as long as one chimney full of charcoal lasts, then i finish it in the crockpot or oven, just to get a slight smokey taste to it.

i add... apple juice(sometimes cider), some alcohol(captain morgans spiced rum or your favorite),any stock i have on hand,sometimes a little bit of apple sauce and plenty of garlic & onions.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
i had to throw my thoughts in here Keltin..lol

a pork butt not in the smoker?..wtf..j/k....lol

i occasionally(shhhhhhh dont tell anyone...lol) smoke it for as long as one chimney full of charcoal lasts, then i finish it in the crockpot or oven, just to get a slight smokey taste to it.

i add... apple juice(sometimes cider), some alcohol(captain morgans spiced rum or your favorite),any stock i have on hand,sometimes a little bit of apple sauce and plenty of garlic & onions.

I've got 2, and one of them is defintely getting smoked, but I want to try something different with the other one. I think I might burn myself out if I had 18 lbs of smoked pork????? :lol: