Apple Stuffed Pork Chops

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Figure 1 chop per person. Get the thickest chop you can find. You need at least an inch.
1 apple, peeled and diced
1 shallot, peeled and diced
1/4 c bourbon
1t butter
Flour for dredging
1 beaten egg
Sherry
1C beef stock
1/4 c diced carrots, celery and onion, each

Saute the apples and shallots in the butter till just tender. Add the Bourbon to deglaze the pan. Cook till all the booze evaporates.
January2010103.jpg

Meanwhile, cut slits into the loin of the chop
January2010100.jpg

Carefully take the blade as close to the bone as possible. Use your finger to check how deep the pocket is, returning with the knife if necessary to form a nice deep pocket.

Season the inside with salt and pepper. Add the sauteed apples.

January2010104.jpg

Season the outside with salt and pepper.
Dredge in flour, beaten egg and then back in the flour.

Saute in an oven proof pan till golden on both sides.

January2010105.jpg

January2010106.jpg

Deglaze the pan with 1/2 c sherry and the beef broth. Add the vegetables. Bring to a boil. Cover the pan and place it into a 350 degree oven for an hour.

Serve with the pan juices.
January2010111.jpg

January2010112.jpg

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I really like this recipe, Vera. I think the ingredients would appeal to kids - mine love pork chops and apple sauce - but it's sophisticated enough to serve to guests. Copied and pasted. Thanks, girlfriend.

BTW - your square, white plates look wonderful! Where did you find them?

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I got the plates at Macy's. Should have waited till today though...I just went to Bed Bath and Beyond and the same plates were about half the price:glare:

I stuffed them with apples because Lou refuses to eat applesauce with dinner. He'll eat it for dessert, but insists it has no place on the dinner plate. I fixed his wagon!! I shoved the apples into the chop, forcing the issue.

Anything you like could be stuffed into the pocket.