Pie Susan's Pie Crust Primer

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Pie Susan's Pie Crust Primer
I wrote this for another foodie forum when I was trying to teach folks how to make a proper pie crust. I wrote it out as I was making a pie and figured out all the little tricks that I have learned over the years and thought that I would post them here. Some of these tips, were passed down to me by my grandmother and mother.

For your typical pie dough crust:
flour, butter, shortening, salt and water--this is what I do:

1. I keep all purpose flour in the freezer for my pie doughs. I do not use pastry flour.
2. I also ensure that any fat (be in butter or shortening or a combo) is frozen or chilled hard in the fridge. Sometimes I use butter and sometimes I use half butter and half shortening (even butter flavored Crisco). The butter has a better flavor but the shortening will make a flakier crust. I cut the butter and shortening into dice before I sift the flour and put it back in the fridge until I need it.
3. I always sift my flour before I measure by spooning the flour into measuring cups and leveling off with a butter knife.
4. I use a scant amount of salt--I almost always cut down the amount of salt when baking. (especially if baking powder and baking soda are also used) If you don't use any, your pie dough will taste flat.
5. I use the food processor to mix the dough and turn the machine off and on. I do not let it just keep running.
6. I always use ice water. Sometimes, depending upon your flour, you may need a tad more water than your recipe calls for.
7. I never make a double crust at once. I prefer to make one crust at a time. It means that I touch and work the dough less.
8. I turn out a sorta crumbly dough with chunks of fat still visible onto plastic wrap and use the plastic wrap to get the dough into a ball and then I flatten it--that way, my warm hands don't touch the dough. If it seems too crumbly to gather into a ball after trying, you can put it back into the work bowl and add a little bit more water at a time. Caution: you don't want to add too much water. Sometimes a tablespoon more can be too much. Whenever you make a dough, try to ensure that before you chill it, it is in the shape that you are going to roll it in.
9. Then, I let the dough chill in the fridge over night or for several hours.
10. When I take the dough out, I will lightly flour my surface and pound the dough a little with my pin. Then, I will roll it out and put it on a baking sheet covered with saran and put it back in the fridge while I am fixing the filling.
11. The rolling and crimping can be done in many styles.
12. For an apple pie: I brush the top crust with milk (don't allow the milk to puddle) and I sprinkle sugar on top after I cut in the vents.
13. I always cover my pie edges after 15-20 minute with a pie shield made out of tin foil. If the middle of my pie gets too brown, I put foil over the entire top.
14. I almost always use pyrex to bake my pies in--I get a properly done bottom crust when I do.

extra tips:
15. I always roll out my pie in a cool room.
16. After I roll out the top crust, I place it in the fridge while I am fixing the pie filling. I will have to let it warm a bit before I can put it on the pie and crimp it, but if I don't do this and my room is too warm, it makes it harder to get on top of the pie.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Susan, thanks so much for doing this. I am a pretty good cook and I am pie-phobic. I do make tarts all the time because they seem easier than making pies. Now I am actually going to make a pie. Soon. I'll let you know how it turns out after I ask DH what kind of pie he wants.....

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Hey just what I needed!! My wife is pretty good at pie crusts, but I am sure this will expand her knowledge so she can make even better pies. Or as someone famous says, "And that's a good thing." LOL.

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
These are great tips Susan! I have only started to make my own pie crusts, nothing to write home about, but they have turned out decent enough for me to keep trying.

My Mother was reknown for her pie crusts, in the family and out. She always used lard, this was back in the '50s. She didn't have the luxury of a cool room (think the valleys in Los Angeles area in summertime), didn't use ice water, didn't chill her crust before rolling it out - had a cloth she rolled it on, and a sock for her wooden rolling pin. Her crusts were invariably flaky, tender, and tasty.

I never tried to do it until my wife wanted a pie once, after she got sick. I used Crisco instead of lard, and believe it or not, my crust was as good as Mom's. Absoluted shocked myself, and decided it was beginner's luck - haven't tried it since.

Fred

smoke king

Banned
Mmmmm pie! "From scratch" pies are something I've always shied away from, due in part that my mother and grandmother were so frikkin' good at it, and I watched as my big sister struggled with it for a long time before she finally "got it"

Now, armed with your tips, maybe I can give it a try!

Pie Pie Pie!!!:yum:( I crack up just thinking about those guys!)

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I can't tell you how happy it makes me feel when I can demystify something for someone. I love to teach people how to bake and I don't mind answering questions. Although I have been baking my entire life, I am not a professional--so I can only answer based on my lifetime of experience. I might not be able to answer every question but I can help try to find it online.

I have never worked with lard. It is not something my mom ever brought in the house. Further, it goes rancid and can be awful. One really needs to find a fresh source--a store where it is bought and used. I usually send people to Mexican grocers. They use a lot in their cuisine and so you can be more assured of a fresh product.

leolady

My Mother was reknown for her pie crusts, in the family and out. She always used lard, this was back in the '50s. She didn't have the luxury of a cool room (think the valleys in Los Angeles area in summertime), didn't use ice water, didn't chill her crust before rolling it out - had a cloth she rolled it on, and a sock for her wooden rolling pin. Her crusts were invariably flaky, tender, and tasty.
Fred

Lard makes for the flakiest tender crusts IMHO. Nothing else will do for me.:thumb:

But great thread Piesusan!

homecook

I've always used lard also. I get it at a small grocery store close by. I know the people and know it's fresh. My grandmother always used lard in alot of her pastry baking.
You're additional information is very informative. Thanks

Barb

leolady

My paternal grandmother sold pies from the back of her car during the depression to help support her family.

My maternal grandmother was a cook. Both always used lard in baking. Leaf lard is preferred.

I like pyrex pie pans but I really love Corningware. It is less likely to break and are useful for so many things in the kitchen.

d365_1.jpg

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
There are religious reasons why my family did not use lard but I have eaten pies made with lard. Sometimes they can be heavy and a bit greasy tasting. It all depends upon the recipe and the skill of the baker. As I have health issues, I try to avoid eating certain fats--no lard or even schmaltz for me. My stomach won't let me anymore. I rarely even eat bacon but sometimes it is too hard to resist. lol

I am happy you like my primer. One can still use the tips when using lard. Some people make all shortening or all butter crusts. I prefer half and half. Shortening for the flakiness and butter for the taste.