What is WRONG with my bean plants????

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I planted Scarlet Runner Beans for the first time this year, in a pot that had Asian Long Beans in it last year.

The bean stalks are completely deformed!! I'm thinking there might be eggs underneath the top skin of the stalks.

What is this?!! How do I correct it?!

Lee

Attachments

• Runner beans 1.JPG
    Runner beans 1.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 287
  • Runner beans 2.JPG
    Runner beans 2.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 281
  • Runner beans 3.JPG
    Runner beans 3.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 277

Leni

I'm not sure what that is but I suggest that you take a cutting over to your local nursery and ask them. Put the cutting into a ziploc baggie so that it doesn't infect their plants.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I have no idea but maybe you could take a sample into a local nursery. Just make sure you seal it up in a baggie before you take it in. If they don't know, they can probably tell you how to find out.

:lol: I should have refreshed the page before I posted. I didn't see Leni's post :lol:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
my guess would be insect(s) vs. disease.

when a bug lays an egg/etc it often results in a "bump" or a "gall" - regrets I couldn't trace down anything specific.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It's on one of my tomato plants, too! It's the tomato right next to the runner beans.

I pulled up the affected runner beans and threw them away, but this tomato plant is a nice beefsteak.

I'll do as suggested and take a cutting to a local garden center.

Thanks, guys!

Lee

Attachments

• Tomato plant bumps.JPG
    Tomato plant bumps.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 242

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, after seeing this, maybe my tomato bumps are different.

Lee

What Are These Bumps On My Tomato Plant?

Bumpy-Stems-on-Tomato-Plant.jpg
If you look closely at a tomato stem, you will notice hundreds, if not thousands, of little tiny hairs.
These hairs will turn into roots when buried underground. That is why it is advantageous to plant tomatoes deep.
By planting your tomatoes deep, those hairs will grow into roots, creating a stronger and healthier root system.
When these hairs are above ground, they will form tiny bumps (often called Tomato Stem Primordia) on the stems of the plant.
The Tomato Stem Primordia are the earliest stage of development of the roots. The bumps are caused by high humidity, predominantly wet weather, or overwatering. The bumps themselves are not harmful to your tomato plants, and are usually deemed as normal.

goatherder

I don't know what is wrong with your plants, but since you have such nice and clear photos, I would post them on a garden forum or send them to the Cooperative Extension Service, for their opinions.