Oddly shaped French Breakfast radishes

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've planted the variety of French Breakfast radish around the perimeters of my tomato pots for years.

This year, I changed the soil in the pots to rich Moisture Control potting mix, but have not done anything else differently.

The radishes are much longer and more slender than I've ever seen them!

Good though! Firm, crisp, with just a little heat.

Lee

Attachments

• Radishes 6-12.JPG
    Radishes 6-12.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 183

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Now I have a craving for radishes. After making a Kim Chee batch up with daikon radish now I want some plan old radishes. Love them.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
nice looking crop!

radish grow quickly, so the increased nutrients & more even moisture was a good move.

curiously I plant my tomatoes in a 'poor' section of the garden - if it's too rich I get lots of bush and not so much fruit.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
nice looking crop!

curiously I plant my tomatoes in a 'poor' section of the garden - if it's too rich I get lots of bush and not so much fruit.

Oh, don't tell me that, Chowder!!! I had been planting my tomatoes in the same big pots for years and years, adding new Miracle Gro soil and mixing it in each year. And feeding with Miracle Gro every 2 weeks.

But for the last 2 years, my tomato plants have been very scraggly and poor, with a low yield. The old Italians I complained to all told me "change the soil, change the soil!"

So, last Fall, I practically broke my back emptying all the pots of the old soil and hauling the soil in bags up to the dumpster (I live in a townhouse complex, so there's not place to just toss that much old soil). This Spring, I practically broke my back filling the pots with NEW soil, which is like black gold, and then I added some granulated tomato food!

If I don't get a lot of great tomatoes, I will be beside myself!

Lee

P.S. Didn't mean to hijack my own radish thread!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
We actually tried one of those setups this year that hang a tomato plant upside down. It sure is growing fast but no fruit yet. I did observe something about tomato plants though and what you plant with them. My wife years ago when we lived in Texas planted a jalapeno plant between each tomato plant. The jalapenos had about the same heat as a bell pepper while the tomatoes where hot to the taste like a pepper. I liked it but actually dislike growing tomatoes. They don't go away every year and in my yard come back wild the next spring. I'm also a big fan of Miracle Grow also for herbs, vegetables etc.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>plants have been very scraggly and poor, with a low yield.

then I wouldn't worry too much. if the soil is "too rich" - specifically too much nitrogen - that's what causes lots of vegetative growth and allows the fruiting part to become less important to the plant...

if the plants were sickly, not an excess nitrogen thing, but indeed could be exhaustion of some other nutrient/trace element need or an upset pH as chemical fertilizers ala Miracle Grow / etc are apt to cause in the longer term - especially in pots.

Leni

Chowderman is correct about the nitrogen. Also keep in mind that farmers rotate their crops. The reason for that is not only depletion but the build up of pathogens. I rotate my crops every two years.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
These radishes have become MONSTERS!! LOL! But as of mid-June, they are still crispy, not woody.

I continue to be amazed! Most are as long as my fingers, and twice as big around!

Lee

Attachments

• Huge radishes 6-12.JPG
    Huge radishes 6-12.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 141

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Beautiful radishes! I've never tried them, but I understand that the tops are edible and kind of taste like mustard greens.