Tomatoes in Topsy Turvy for 6 weeks

Ross in Ventura

4cc251b0.jpg

ea6aab9b.jpg

March 13, 20011 On the left Brandywine on the right Italian Heirloom.
71a1f25e.jpg

3/19/11
35f226d4.jpg

68bfbbbf.jpg

4/3/11
7756ce5b.jpg

4add69d6.jpg

4/16/11
660d69c2.jpg

4bd1bc47.jpg

4/23/11

Everything is growing nicely

Thanks for looking

Ross

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Those Topsy Turvys work great, don't they, Ross?

Yours look terrific!

Lee

buckytom

Grill Master
ross, i wonder if tomatoes, generally a vining fruit, act any differently when grown upside down?

that is do they produce fruit on the same number of branches, spaced the same number apart?

do they wait until the branches are at least sideways to gravity, like a natural vine?

are indeterminate varieties better upside down, or would determinate varieties be better?

do they produce suckers as fast or as often, or vertically growing suckers more often due to gravity?

are inverted suckers productive? (no jokes please)

Ross in Ventura

Those Topsy Turvys work great, don't they, Ross?

Yours look terrific!

Lee
Thanks Lee

Ross
ross, i wonder if tomatoes, generally a vining fruit, act any differently when grown upside down?

that is do they produce fruit on the same number of branches, spaced the same number apart?

do they wait until the branches are at least sideways to gravity, like a natural vine?

are indeterminate varieties better upside down, or would determinate varieties be better?

do they produce suckers as fast or as often, or vertically growing suckers more often due to gravity?

are inverted suckers productive? (no jokes please)

Gosh Buckytom, Thats to complicated for me here are the ones I grew last year http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=913968&catid=1

Ross

buckytom

Grill Master
thanks ross. nice pics.

from first glances, determinate varieties would seem to work better upside down simply because the vine doesn't grow too long. they all seem to try to turn around to chase the sun.

i'd think the vines of indeterminate varieties would break from the weight especially when fruiting unless they found some support for strain relief.

GotGarlic

Your tomatoes look really nice, Ross. Topsy Turvys didn't work well at all for us last year. The vines didn't grow very long and we just got a few, very small tomatoes, while our tomatoes in the ground grew and produced beautifully. Not sure whether we did something wrong, but I'm glad yours are doing well. We just planted 6 varieties of tomatoes yesterday.

JackieBlue

Banned
How do the Topsy Turvy tomatoes taste? For here in Jersey, I don't think I would use that because I think we have the best tomatoes around.:mrgreen: Interesting concept though.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
My dogs would love that. The tomatoes grow down and it is easier for them to reach them. Otherwise, they chew the vine off (After waiting till they ripen) and eat the tomatoes off the vine on the ground.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Ross, your TT tomato planters look to be doing lovely.
Do you know something? when those first started appearing around here on peoples patios and porches, I thought they were some kind of wind sock.
Goes to show how daft I am.
Then I saw them in stores.
I might actually get one and hang it off my garden shed and see how it goes.