Dinner Sunday April 11

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I have my menu ready. It's my friend Larry's 78th birthday and we're having a few friends over for a celebration.

Appetizer: Amore tomatoes stuffed with boursin cheese

Salad: Greens from my garden with mango, sweet onion, macadamia nuts, and a white balsamic raspberry vinaigrette.

Main course: Steam poached salmon with a lemon dill aioli, green beans (maybe almondine), orzo 'with stuff'

Dessert: Chocolate cake with chocolate mousse filling and fudge frosting, homemade vanilla ice cream.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Nothing special, I bought some nice bread and some swiss cheese at the deli, so probably a sandwich of some sort.

buckytom

Grill Master
happy birthday larry.

i'm taking my boy to the devils' game this afternoon, so dinner will be something at the game. probably sausage-n-peppers for me, and a hot dog for the sprog. maybe nachos too.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Tonight is "fried" night. I'm going to fry shrimp, and I may try to fry some scallops too. I've had fried scallops in a restaurant and loved them, but I've never tried them at home. We'll see. I'm sure hubby will want baked potatoes too, and I'll have to have a salad.

Outdoor charcoal-grilled well-seasoned turkey burgers going on here - with all the trimmings (spicy-hot dill pickle chips, sliced sweet onions, ketchup, a variety of mustards, pickled jalapeno pepper slices, dill & sweet pickle relish - you name it!).

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Outdoor charcoal-grilled well-seasoned turkey burgers going on here - with all the trimmings (spicy-hot dill pickle chips, sliced sweet onions, ketchup, a variety of mustards, pickled jalapeno pepper slices, dill & sweet pickle relish - you name it!).

I love turkey burgers, Breezy.
Your trimmings sound delicious.
Some people say they are bland and there is no way to jazz up the burger well enough for flavour before adding condiments.
Not true.
I add garlic, parsley,onion and thyme to my burger mix before pan frying and they come out really good.
What do you add to yours?

Husband doesn't eat red meat, so turkey burgers have been a way of life for us for over 20 years. And I LOVE them!!

What I do is open the package of turkey meat (the regular - NOT the ground breast meat) & divide it in the tray into 4 equal portions. Sometimes I'll prick out one portion & freeze it to use in an Asian stirfry (many of them call for 1/4 pound of ground meat); other times I'll just plan on 4 burgers. Right there in the open styrofoam package I'll add a serious sprinkling of Worcestershire sauce, some granulated garlic, & a heavy sprinkling of McCormack's "Monterey Chicken Grill" seasoning. Sometimes I'll add other stuff according to taste or a recipe - but those are the basics.

Terrific tasty burgers every time! (Can't wait - he's out there grilling them as I type. . . . maybe I'll have blue cheese on mine tonight; or cheddar?)

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Hey, I never thought of using worcestershire sauce, or the chicken grill seasoning!
Thanks for the tip :)

Shrimp stuffed mushrooms - from the deli case
Linguine & white clam sauce (w/ lemon juice, garlic & parsley)
Garlic bread & a small mixed green salad
(Should finish up chocolate chip rugalach & strawberries, before they go off)

PanchoHambre

exhausted and started late.. grilled chicken pasta salad w roasted peppers/artichoke hearts/black olives/garbanzos in a oil vinegar dressing... opening 3 cans and a jar, boiling some water and grilling chicken is feeling overambitious right now. It will be lunch this week which is my main motivation.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Here was the birthday dinner

Amore tomatoes stuffed with Boursin

Raspberry white balsamic in the lettuce patch

Mango & macadamia nut salad

Salmon prepped for the oven

Attachments

• 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 110
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 111
  • 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 112
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 115

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Dinner part deux

Salmon ready to serve (it kind of fell apart when I skinned it and plated it, but it tasted better than it looked.)

Lemon dill mayonaisse

Green beans with brown butter and almonds

Cake!

Attachments

• 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 109
  • 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 110
  • 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 106

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Looks Great SS! :thumb: Ummmmmmm. And that cake. :eek: yum yum :D
Congrats you are now entered into the win a NCT apron thread for starting the What's for dinner thread. Way to go!!!!!

BC, turkey burgers do sound interesting, especially with all the stuff you add to them. So you don't use the ground turkey, but what do you use? I'll have to give them a try soon. I love grilling out but can't have beef burgers all the time.

Last night we had Chicken Kabobs, baked potato's and spinach salad. Very tasty. :D

BC, turkey burgers do sound interesting, especially with all the stuff you add to them. So you don't use the ground turkey, but what do you use?

Sorry - guess my wording was confusing. I do use ground turkey for my turkey burgers, but it comes in two types - the "regular", just marked "Ground Turkey", which is a ground combination of white & dark meat; & "Ground Turkey Breast", which is ground all-white breast meat. I don't care for the ground turkey breast because I find it dryer & less flavorful than the regular mix.

Last edited by a moderator:

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Looks yummy! We were lazy last night, and I just had a sandwich. Hard salami on honey wheat, Vermont Cheddar (made in WI, LOL), Dijon mustard, and mayonnaise. Chips and pickles on the side, and an ice cream sandwich for dessert...

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sorry - guess my wording was confusing. I do use ground turkey for my turkey burgers, but it comes in two types - the "regular", just marked "Ground Turkey", which is a ground combination of white & dark meat; & "Ground Turkey Breast", which is ground all-white breast meat. I don't care for the ground turkey breast because I find it dryer & less flavorful than the regular mix.
Ahhh, I got it now. :D Thanks for the explanation. :tiphat: :thumb:
I will try these sometime.

And you do have to look at the label, because physically, both the regular ground turkey & the ground turkey breast look the same raw. I've done more than my fair share of accidentally buying the ground turkey breast instead of the regular because I wasn't paying attention.:bonk:

It's not a criminal offense, but like I said, the end product just seems a lot dryer with the ground white meat, regardless of what you add to it.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ahhh, Thanks again for the tip. :thumb: :tiphat:

Since we know you do like ground turkey, what are your thoughts on turkey bacon? I've tried it once. yeck is the best word I can think of to describe it. I have no idea of the brand name or if it was all white or a mixture of the meats.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Since we know you do like ground turkey, what are your thoughts on turkey bacon? I've tried it once. Yuck is the best word I can think of to describe it. I have no idea of the brand name or if it was all white or a mixture of the meats.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I've tried it once. Yuck is the best word I can think of to describe it.
I had it once quite a few years ago and I thought the same thing. Yuck. I hear there are some really good brands now, but I've never tried it again.

Since we know you do like ground turkey, what are your thoughts on turkey bacon? I've tried it once. Yuck is the best word I can think of to describe it. I have no idea of the brand name or if it was all white or a mixture of the meats.

Turkey bacon is also a staple here. Always have a pack in the fridge & a pack in the freezer for Mr. Breezycooking.

It's definitely an acquired taste if you're used to pork bacon, but I like it & cook with it regularly, saving my own personal pork bacon treat for garden tomato season & those luscious BLT's!! I do make hubby just as luscious BLT's with his beloved turkey bacon though.

I use turkey bacon in any recipe calling for bacon throughout the year. But because it doesn't produce any fat, for recipes calling for sauteeing bacon in order to produce "drippings" for the rest of the recipe (Coq au Vin, etc.), I simply add several dollops of extra-virgin olive oil to the turkey bacon. Has worked perfectly in every recipe so far, & is healthier as well. You get the smoky bacon flavor + a healthier fat/oil.

As far as brands, just try a few & choose. The mainstream brands (Oscar Meyer, Butterball, Jimmy Dean) are pretty much the same, but there are a few artisinal brands that crop up in upscale markets once in awhile or are available online. I've tried a few, but never find the price worth it. I've also tried "duck bacon" - again, not worth the price in my opinion.

Other turkey products I buy regularly & regularly enjoy:

Turkey Ham - WONDERFUL. Can barely tell apart from pork ham. I buy it sliced at the deli counter & in large chunks as well. Serve as ham steaks, diced in stir fries, as part of Eggs Benedict - literally anywhere one would want regular ham. And way healthier.

Turkey Pastrami - makes a FABULOUS fat-free pastrami sandwich. Very peppery. All the flavor, none of the bad stuff. Some seeded rye, sauerkraut, swiss, & Thousand Island Dressing & you have a terrific pseudo-Reuben.

Sausages - OH. MY. GOD. The variety these days is endless. Hot Italian, Sweet Italian, Buffalo Chicken flavored, Andouille, Chorizo, Jalapeno, Feta/Spinach - the list is - quite frankly - endless.

As you can see, I'm a big turkey (& chicken) product fan. I love the fact that I'm not sacrificing anything at all in the flavor department; just a lot of the bad stuff.:wink: