Roasted chicken with bacon

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I combined two recipes: one from Hammersley's Bistro (which is famous for their roasted chicken) and one from Tyler Florence. They were similar, but I liked a couple of differences, so I combined the two.

It was verrrrrrrrrrrry moist, as if I had brined it! And it was good, though I didn't really taste the flavors of the stuffing in the chicken.

If you like an easy, moist, one-pan meal though, this is great for you!

Lee

Roasted Chicken with Bacon

1 whole roasting chicken, 3-4 pounds
1 1/2 large red onions (slice the whole one in big rounds; cut the half in 4 quarters
4 red potatoes, not peeled but cut in half
1/2 head of garlic cloves, smashed
1/2 lemon, cut in quarters
2 pounds of whole cremini mushrooms
5 slices of bacon
a bunch of fresh thyme
poultry seasoning
olive oil
salt and pepper

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Place cut potatoes and onion rounds in the bottom of a Pammed and foil roasting pan. Drizzle olive oil, toss, and season with salt and pepper.

In a mixing bowl, mix chunks of red onion, lemon, garlic, and half of the bunch of thyme. Drizzle with olive oil and toss. Season with s and p. Stuff chicken with this mixture.

Truss chicken. Season skin with poultry seasoning. Set the stuffed and trussed chicken on top of the potatoes and onions in the roasting pan. Lay bacon slices over the chicken breast. Top with the rest of the thyme.

Roast chicken for 45 minutes. Baste. Add the mushrooms to the pan, around the chicken. Baste every twenty minutes. Continue roasting another 45 minutes (a total of 1 1/2 hours) or until the temperature in the thigh is 175. Let rest before carving.

Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Oh My!!!!!! You've got a winner there!!! I've got a whole roaster in the freezer that's got it's name written all over this one!