1 teaspoon Salt
1/2 tablespoon Garlic powder
1 cup Water
1 1/2 cube Knorr Beef Bouillon
3 pounds Lean ground beef
3 tablespoons Shortening
3/4 cup Whole wheat flour

-= Instructions =-
Mix all the spices and herbs together. In a large sauce pan dissolve the bouillon in the water, and bring to a boil. Add beef and shortening, and cook until pink is gone. Push meat to the sides, and dissolve the spices in the juices that collect in the center. Stir and cook for about 15 minutes. Push meat to the sides, and dissolve flour. Stir quickly, turn off heat and continue stirring for at least 2 minutes.

This is concentrated chili, and it is best left overnight, and can even be frozen. Reheat chili on low heat, and dilute with water until it reaches the preferred consistency.

Chili sitting overnight:

img0489lp.jpg

Concentrated Chili with water added:

img0490qj.jpg

Bowl of chili:

img0498ut.jpg

Deelady

Definately being saved!! Hubby will love this on hotdogs!! I will love it over crispy steak fries!!! YUM!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I had some chili in a diner a couple of weeks ago that was absolutely the best chili that I have ever eaten. It had no tomato products in it, and the texture was very similar to yours. I'll be trying this too. Looks great!

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I had some chili in a diner a couple of weeks ago that was absolutely the best chili that I have ever eaten. It had no tomato products in it, and the texture was very similar to yours. I'll be trying this too. Looks great!

The basis of this recipe was from a restaurant chili. I added my own touches to it to make it my own. That's why the recipe is for 3 lbs of meat, but it can easily be cut into 1/3. I've done that way many times, and just made the whole thing right away. Letting it set definitely makes a difference though.

Deelady

How much water do you use when you are rehydrating it? Also do you not add all the spices in at the beginning? or not until the meat is already cooked?

TIA :)

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
How much water do you use when you are rehydrating it? Also do you not add all the spices in at the beginning? or not until the meat is already cooked?

TIA :)

Cook the beef until all the pink is gone, add the spices, then cook another 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the flour, remove from the heat and stir continuously for 2 minutes (this takes some muscle).

To dilute, start with 1/2 cup of water per pound, and go from there. Adding more is no problem. You can add beans or whatever else you like at this time too.

Deelady

Cook the beef until all the pink is gone, add the spices, then cook another 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the flour, remove from the heat and stir continuously for 2 minutes (this takes some muscle).

To dilute, start with 1/2 cup of water per pound, and go from there. Adding more is no problem. You can add beans or whatever else you like at this time too.

Thanks Rob :) Sorry for being so dense ;) lol

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter

why do you add flour to thicken then water to thin? why not just leave out the flour? i'm just wondering.

K

Kimchee

That's an interesting take on chili!
Definitely what I would have thought of as more of
a "topping" chili, instead of a "have a bowl of" chili....

But on second thinkings, it certainly could be beaned up and
"accessorized" for quite a few incarnations!

I think I might just have to give it a try, thanks!

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
why do you add flour to thicken then water to thin? why not just leave out the flour? i'm just wondering.

It makes a sort of gravy, so you don't have to simmer this for hours and hours to thicken it. You can make this chili in 30 min. start to finish. However it tastes better if you make the concentrated chili first and leave it overnight.

Everything about this chili is fast and easy. All dry seasonings, and the only fresh ingredient is the meat (which is already ground up for you). That's why it is good for a restaurant, very little prep on this dish.

I'm up in the air about the shortening. I switched the recipe to lean ground beef, and added shortening so I could better control the fat, but I'm not sure I like it as much as using a fattier ground beef.

This recipe is still a work in progress, so I'm likely to change it many more times before I settle on one that I feel is the best. I added the beef bouillon to give it depth, but I think it needs something else to brighten it up a bit. Normally tomatoes would do that, but I really want to avoid them. Every other chili on the planet has tomatoes, so I would like to have my own without them. Maybe a little Crème fraîche.

I will say that it is a lot of fun w
orking with this recipe!

Last edited:

CharlieD

That definitely sounds like my kind of cooking, “half an hour” part and no dairy. I never have enough time and cannot use any dairy. But speaking of beans (my DW loves them) when or how could I add them?

P.S.
Also, what does shortening do? The meat I have at home is pretty fatty, I wouldn’t want to add any more fat if I do not have to.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
that definetely sounds like my kind of cooking, half an hour part. I never have enough time. But speaking of beans 9my DW loves them) when or how could i add them?

Charlie, if it were me, I'd put them in after diluting the concentrated chili. Give them enough time to heat up. Or just heat them up on the side and let people put them in themselves.

No you don't have to add more fat. In fact it's probably better that way. I was just experimenting with the shortening.

CharlieD

Thanks, for sure I am going to try this, my wife will be very happy. I am not big on Chilli, or any beef (or any long cooked meats any way) but she will like it and I know i will rat it too. Awesome. Thanks again.

CharlieD

Gosh, I just spent half an hour looking for this poat. It's weird how search did not find it when I searched for "chilli".

I better copy this and add to my recipe book.

So thanks.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Gosh, I just spent half an hour looking for this poat. It's weird how search did not find it when I searched for "chilli".

I better copy this and add to my recipe book.

So thanks.
maybe because you spelled it with 2 L's and thread title only has 1 L? just guessing but maybe.

CharlieD

Yeah, I thought about that, you're probably right. But interestingly the search did find it in the end even though I spelled it wrong.