Honey question

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I'm trying to cut down on processed foods. Can honey be substituted for granulated sugar when baking? :confused:

Leni

It depends. If you are supposed to blend sugar and butter together then no. That is part of the levening process. Baking is a chemistry act and changing one ingredient can mess the whole thing up. The basic problem is that you are adding a liquid instead of a dry ingredient. You can experiment but be prepared for not so good results. If you do use honey you will want to cut down on another liquid.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I agree with Leni. Liquid balance is the issue.

Maybe, raw sugar?

Could honey be dehydrated?

Here's an idea, maybe, weigh some honey, heat it till it is dry and weigh it again. The in your recipe take out that weight of another liquid.

When JoeV stops by, he may have a suggestion.

Moxie

Yes you most certainly can as long as you follow a few simple rules.

Honey is sweeter than sugar so you might want to cut back a little depending on what you're making.

Honey is partially liquid. Each cup of honey is about 1/4 to 1/3 cup liquid and the rest is the sugar solids. Cut back at least 1/4 cup of liquid for each cup of honey you use.

Honey browns faster in the oven. Turn your oven down by 25F to avoid overbaking or burning.

Honey has more acidity than sugar. Add a pinch of baking soda to balance it. Baking soda also encourages browning so this makes it double important to turn the oven down a bit.

It may take a little trial and error to get it right but honey also has more flavor than white sugar so you will be rewarded with extra flavor in your baked goods.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
"liquid balance" is only one part of the overall effect.

I'm sure this has never happened to anyone here . . . but . . .
you go buy a batch of glazed doughnuts.

they sit over-night
next day the hard sugar glaze has turned into watery runny sticky stuff.

sugar absorbs water from the air - hygroscopic

honey's tendency is about tenfold that of sugar.

bottom line, it's quite possible to create breads / pastries using honey that in short order go wet&soggy.

fwiw.