Madeleines

Johnny West

In honor of my new granddaughter....

Today is our St. George's Day Tea at church. Yesterday afternoon I made three batches of Madeleines to take for my cookie offering. I couldn't find our madeleine pan so yesterday morning I set out at 0600 to find one - by 0900 I hit three grocery stores with no luck. After a chat with friend, googled the pan, and Bed, Bath, and Beyond had them. We have a store a few miles from me and there I was, in business. The recipe is quite easy but 16 minutes was too long, cut the time back a minute, and they came out perfect. The overly brown ones Nancy took to work last night and they were a hit.

I'll be bringing a French cookie to an English tea - hope they don't mind.

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/gourmet-madeleine-cookies-199205#activity-feed

Gourmet Madeleine Cookies

Recipe by blucoat
picQi349N.jpg
Photo by April Thyrme

undefined
PREP TIME: 15 mins TOTAL TIME: 40 mins YIELD: 20 cookies
About This Recipe

"Delicious and soft French cookies. The recipe is from Bon Appetit Magazine (January 2000). "This cookie launched a thousand memories — and a literary masterpiece — for Marcel Proust. The group enjoys madeleines with tea, just as the narrator did in Swann’s Way." Uses a special madeleine pan (a metal mold with scallop-shaped indentations, sold at cookware stores)."

Ingredients

• 2 large eggs
    • 2/3 cup sugar
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    • 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
    • 1 pinch salt
    • 1 cup all-purpose flour
    • 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, cooled slightly
    • powdered sugar

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375°F Generously butter and flour pan for large madeleines (about 3x1 1/4 inches).

1. Using electric mixer, beat eggs and 2/3 cup sugar in large bowl just to blend. Beat in vanilla, lemon peel and salt. Add flour; beat just until blended. Gradually add cooled melted butter in steady stream, beating just until blended.
  2. Spoon 1 tablespoon batter into each indentation in pan. Bake until puffed and brown, about 10-16 minutes. Cool 5 minutes. Gently remove from pan. Repeat process, buttering and flouring pan before each batch. (Can be made 1 day ahead.).
  3. Dust cookies with powdered sugar.

Attachments

• ###Maddie's.jpg
    ###Maddie's.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 993
Last edited by a moderator:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
They look wonderful! I've never made them.

Did you dust with confectioner's sugar, John?

Lee

Johnny West

A dear church lady friend of mine passed away and her funeral is today. My vicar asked if I would bring madeleine's again as she really like the one's I made for last Sunday. Yesterday I made 48. These really came out nice and am getting it down. I do want to try Julia Child's recipe but only when I'm not rushed as it's a bit more labour intensive.

Attachments

• ###Maddoes for Jo.jpg
    ###Maddoes for Jo.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 949
  • ###Maddies for Jo II.jpg
    ###Maddies for Jo II.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 954