Hard to season Cast Iron?

Phiddlechik

yeah, but 8 bucks wasted, is 8 bucks wasted. spend more and get something decent. Like this:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/SCI-Scandicrafts-7-Cup-Cast-Aebleskiver/dp/B001D6Y2E0[/ame]

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
yeah, but 8 bucks wasted, is 8 bucks wasted. spend more and get something decent. Like this:
http://www.amazon.com/SCI-Scandicrafts-7-Cup-Cast-Aebleskiver/dp/B001D6Y2E0

That certainly makes sense, but as a fiddler, one that likes to toy, change, construct, modify, and enhance, it's a bit of challenge.

Personally, I've had no problems seasoning CI, but I've never bumped into super cheap CI, so I was wondering if others have seen it? Is it possible that some CI simply will not hold a seasoning? So far, it seems everyone is of the opinion that all CI is CI since no one has seen a piece of CI that can't hold a seasoning?

And honestly, how can you make CI cheaper? It's a super cheap base metal no-frills appliance as it is. It's iron...the cast part is how it's molded. Iron is one of the most basic metals there is. I don't see how they can cheapen cheap iron by adding something "cheaper" - what's cheaper than base iron?? If anything, it will probably be stupidly thin?

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Keltin, please answer me this.
Why do most of them look different than they did, say 20-30 yrs ago?
Swear to God, I have done everything to care for mine and it doesn't look like Gram's did.
Her surface was always smooth. I think she washed it in hot soapy water with a brillo pad.
After she'd clean it, she'd rub the insides with oil and stick it back in the gas oven to store.
I have done the same basic thing with mine, but it's got rough insides and doesn't have that smoothness at all.
Think I'll toss it and buy a new one, and pay big bucks if I have to.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Swear to God, I have done everything to care for mine and it doesn't look like Gram's did.
Her surface was always smooth. I think she washed it in hot soapy water with a brillo pad.
After she'd clean it, she'd rub the insides with oil and stick it back in the gas oven to store.
I have done the same basic thing with mine, but it's got rough insides and doesn't have that smoothness at all.

Nah, don’t toss it. The iron layers can peel like an onion and make it rough. It can happen over the years if the polymerization is thin (the seasoning) and the original press or cast was loose. Just re-work it. Strip it down to base, sand it with 000 grit steel wool to make it smooth, and then re-season. Once sanded smooth, you’ll be down to the next layer of ready to go and smooth iron that you can season!

I’d MUCH rather have an old piece to refurbish than buy a new piece to start with!

Look what this guy did with an old piece that most would throw in the trash!!! :w00t:

That is one amazing back-from-the-dead CI stories that proves the worth of classic CI!

http://curiouskai.blogspot.com/2009/12/reconditioning-cast-iron-frying-pan.html

mhend

I have one cast iron skillet that was my great-grandmothers, then my grandmothers, then my mothers and now it's mine and it is my absolute favorite thing to use in the kitchen. I have never had to re-season it - but Sass, I know what you mean. I have only bought one other CI skillet and it NEVER seasoned up the way this one is. It's sitting in a cupboard somewhere I think. :)

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I have one cast iron skillet that was my great-grandmothers, then my grandmothers, then my mothers and now it's mine and it is my absolute favorite thing to use in the kitchen. I have never had to re-season it - but Sass, I know what you mean. I have only bought one other CI skillet and it NEVER seasoned up the way this one is. It's sitting in a cupboard somewhere I think. :)
I'll probably end up scouring thrift shops and garage sales now to find one that's been properly cared for, and then I'll bring it home and keep it that way.
In the meantime, I'll use my bumpy, rough Lodge for frying eggs and steaks, etc.. :lol:

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
The old cast iron was machined smooth at the factory. Most of the new cast iron is a rough casting, and Lodge has done a credible job of convincing the buyers that it doesn't matter. You are far better off finding the old Griswold, Wagner, or other brands
Your new Lodge will never be as good as the old stuff.