Finally!!!!

Leni

I hate to hear that Wart. Here I can and do garden year round. I love gardening and especially the results.

DH and I went way overboard buying tomatoes this year. I must have something between 50 and 60 plants. It's a good thing that I have a dehydrator. The problem was that each of us bought without the other around. I must have a dozen Japanese Black Triffle. I've never grown them before.

Mama, I think that you can buy Black Cherry and Black Pearl seeds and maybe plants from Burpee. Your garden looks great! It looks like you are going to have a surplus. DH loves okra and I haven't planted any. Thanks for reminding me.

By the way. I just picked my first red tomato yesterday.

Beautiful pics, Mama. (I see a caprese salad or gazpacho in the near future.) Appreciate your sharing, as I'm in a condo. Time for me to go to the Farmers' Market. Hey, if you need any recipe ideas, give a shout out. Luv tomatoes,

belaine

Bottle Washer
Super Site Supporter
We have raised beds for the first time. Gopher got in one of them last week and got my parsley, basil and one tomato plant grrrrrrr. I must learn to post pictures.

Leni

When you set up a raised bed in an area with digging varmits it's a good idea to lay down chicken wire, hard cloth, whatever has holes small enough to keep them out.

A friend gave me a tomato breakfast idea. A friend sent it to her and she said that it was really good. Cooking the tomato really brought out the flavor.

Preheat the oven to 450
Hollow out a tomat
Put whatever you want on the bottom, cooked bacon, ham, etc
Crack an egg into the tomato
Salt and pepper

Put the tomato into the oven for about 10 minutes or so. The white should be set and the yolk still runny.

I just bought some tomatoes from the local farm stand. I'll make this tomorrow and will let you know what I think.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
When you set up a raised bed in an area with digging varmits it's a good idea to lay down chicken wire, hard cloth, whatever has holes small enough to keep them out.

A friend gave me a tomato breakfast idea. A friend sent it to her and she said that it was really good. Cooking the tomato really brought out the flavor.

Preheat the oven to 450
Hollow out a tomat
Put whatever you want on the bottom, cooked bacon, ham, etc
Crack an egg into the tomato
Salt and pepper

Put the tomato into the oven for about 10 minutes or so. The white should be set and the yolk still runny.

I just bought some tomatoes from the local farm stand. I'll make this tomorrow and will let you know what I think.
Please post a pic if possible Leni. That sounds great!!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Update on my garden! I'm gonna try to wait to pick the tomatoes until my Birthday on Thursday!

Attachments

• garden06062011-0.jpg
    garden06062011-0.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 126
  • garden06062011-1.jpg
    garden06062011-1.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 126
  • garden06062011-2.jpg
    garden06062011-2.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 126
  • garden06062011-3.jpg
    garden06062011-3.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 131
  • garden06062011-4.jpg
    garden06062011-4.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 125
  • garden06062011-5.jpg
    garden06062011-5.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 126
  • garden06062011-6.jpg
    garden06062011-6.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 121

Leni

I finally made the egg in the tomato. I can see where it would have come out better than it did.

First: the tomatoes were too small. The whites spilled over into the pan that I used. Best to use stuffing tomatoes anyhow. They are easier to hollow out.

Second: next time I'd use tomatoes that I grew that ripened on the vine. The ones that I used did not have much flavor.

Third: I had put crumbled bacon into the bottom of the tomato. I think that I'd include basil and maybe mushrooms.

Finally, I cooked them too long. I kept thinking that the whites weren't set yet but it turned out to be clear tomato juice. So the yolks were waxy instead of runny. DH did not care for all of the tomato juice. I'll have to experiment with that.

mhend

Mama, your garden is just lovely! Fresh, off-the-vine tomatoes sounds like a wonderful birthday present! :)

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Ignore the rustling in your garden and the barking of any dogs it is nothing to be concerned about. :whistling:

Leni

Peeps, naughty, naughty, naughty. ;)

I just picked my first Sungold cherry tomatoes. They were wonderful!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks Mary, Peepers and LS!

I was thinking the same thing Mary. I've been so looking forward to some vine ripe tomatoes out of my garden. The timing couldn't have been more perfect!

Peepers...come on down...I'm sure I'll have plenty!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Thanks Mary, Peepers and LS!

I was thinking the same thing Mary. I've been so looking forward to some vine ripe tomatoes out of my garden. The timing couldn't have been more perfect!

Peepers...come on down...I'm sure I'll have plenty!
I would fry up some of those peppers and red tomatoes with onions and garlic!! YUMMY You can do some fried green tomatoes!!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I've already had some fried green tomatoes! I'm looking forward to that first tomato sandwich!

I've got to get out there in the morning and pick the mustard greens and then clean, chop, wilt and freeze them. I probably won't have a lot of packages for the freezer but it's my first time growing them and I've learned a lot. I hear the ones in the fall are sweeter. Hopefully I'll get to find out if that's true.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I've already had some fried green tomatoes! I'm looking forward to that first tomato sandwich!

I've got to get out there in the morning and pick the mustard greens and then clean, chop, wilt and freeze them. I probably won't have a lot of packages for the freezer but it's my first time growing them and I've learned a lot. I hear the ones in the fall are sweeter. Hopefully I'll get to find out if that's true.
They come up twice?

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
No, you have to reseed them in the fall but because the weather is getting colder as they mature, it's supposed to make them sweeter...that's what they say anyway...
Oh. Personally I like bitter greens with mashed taters. Nice contrast but thats just me.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I harvested the mustard greens this morning. Ground to freezer was about 2 hours. I ended up with a little over 4 pounds.

Attachments

• mustardgreens-01.jpg
    mustardgreens-01.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 162
  • mustardgreens-02.jpg
    mustardgreens-02.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 137

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
It's really starting to come in good now :w00t:

This morning I got 12 tomatoes, 1 green pepper, 4 banana peppers and a bunch of lettuce! I might just be able to call myself a gardener pretty soon :lol:

Attachments

• garden06192011.jpg
    garden06192011.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
:lol: Thanks Peepers! I'm pretty excited. This is the first real garden I've ever had so it's been a lot of fun and a real learning experience! Here's a few more pics from this morning.

Attachments

• garden06192011-1.jpg
    garden06192011-1.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 125
  • garden06192011-2.jpg
    garden06192011-2.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 119
  • garden06192011-3.jpg
    garden06192011-3.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 128
  • garden06192011-4.jpg
    garden06192011-4.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 141
  • garden06192011-5.jpg
    garden06192011-5.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 124

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH OH OH OH I want some squash flowers to fry!! Mom would pick all the male flowers and just dip in egg and lightly seasoned flour and fry in butter. YUMMY!!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I don't know the difference between the male and female blossoms LOL. How do you tell the difference?

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I don't know the difference between the male and female blossoms LOL. How do you tell the difference?
UMMMMM the pregnant ones are females? LOL I don't have a green thumb like mom did. LOL Maybe one of the more knowledgeable gardeners can tell you. Sorry.

loboloco

Mama, not jacking your thread, but thought some would like to see my 'take'. This is only the tomatoes and cukes, and then only the 'pickling' type. Burpless, my mother takes most of those.
Corn has been picked and we are now leaving the rest for seed. Beans, peas, squash, and butterbeans are mostly a mess at a time right now.
Cantaloupe, one or two a day. sweet taters not ready yet.

Attachments

• DSCF0035.jpg
    DSCF0035.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 128

Leni

I've got a collender full of cherry tomatoes, Sun Gold, Black Pearl, and Black Cherry. We're eating them at every meal. All this from only five plants.