Beef Stew with Sun Dried Tomatoes

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Here's a favorite at our house. It's a thick and chunky stew, and the sun dried tomatoes, wine, and toasty minced onion bits make it very flavorful.

3904225659_2ff26fc6de.jpg

1 lb to 1 1/2 lb chuck roast, cut into bite-sized pieces
flour
black pepper
vegetable oil
scant tablespoon dried minced onion
2 cans Swansons beef broth
3/4 cup Cabernet Sauvignon
scant tablespoon of brown gravy mix (Great Value works fine)
5 to 6 baby carrots, large chop
5 to 6 stalks of celery, large chop
2 medium onions, large chop
1/2 pkg sun dried tomatoes (Great Lakes 100g pkg, dry pack, use 1/2 pkg)
salt

Dredge the meat in flour seasoned with black pepper. Brown in a small amount of very hot oil, in batches, until the meat is crusty and well browned.

Add all the meat back into the pan and sprinkle on the dried minced onion. When the onion bits begin to turn golden, add the red wine. Stir to remove bits from the bottom of the pan, and then add the broth and the gravy mix. Simmer, uncovered, on very low for one hour.

Add the carrots, celery, onions, and the tomatoes. Simmer, covered, for another hour. Add salt if needed.

chowhound

That looks fantastic. A lot like my stew (lol).
I like the addition of sundried tomatoes and will give that a try next time. I looooove thick and chunky stew!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Thanks, chow. I bet you put potatoes in yours. Sometimes I do, just depends.

chowhound

Yep. I love potatoes, too, so they go in. Really it's the beef (of course) and carrots though that are requirements. I won't have a problem swapping out the potatoes for the sun dried tomatoes.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Yep. I love potatoes, too, so they go in. Really it's the beef (of course) and carrots though that are requirements. I won't have a problem swapping out the potatoes for the sun dried tomatoes.

Oh yeah, lots of carrots. :mrgreen:

Thanks, HC :mrgreen:

Deelady

I dont suppose you can use sangria wine and oil packed sundried tomatoes (drained of course) can you....thats what I have on hand :(

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I dont suppose you can use sangria wine and oil packed sundried tomatoes (drained of course) can you....thats what I have on hand :(

You can use the oil packed tomatoes for sure. I'm not sure about the sangria, maybe use extra beef broth instead. I've never done it that way, but you never know until you try :smile:.

Deelady

Ummm hello woman...I thought you were suppose to be a good influence???:ohmy:
Remember I'm a 5 month prego woman?? :twak:;)

Deelady

LOL suuuuree! Actually I had an occasional glass of red wine with my first pregnancy that my Dr said was fine. But with this pregnancy I havent even wanted a sip, just doesn't appealing at all. But I am looking forward to a Martini when I am done breast feeding!!!! :D