The Midsummer Eve

Saliha

It´s the Midsummer night in Finland. Magical, mystical summer night.

This video about our the Midsummer Eve is quite romantic but basicly yes, we are looking such connections to the nature with this feast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2tinqjEfqw

Few thousand of years "Ukko" was the God of the weather, but still in our language Ukko-nen means "thunderstrom".

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Saliha, it looks lovely!

What kinds of things do people do to celebrate it?

What do YOU and your family do?

Lee

Saliha

Many like to go to the countryside, where bonfires are common. People spend time with friends and family, swim and go to the sauna - just like in this video. The bath wisk made by the birch is so common that those whose can´t make it by themselves, can buy it from the markets. Children make magic like collect flowers and put them under their pillows as aim to see their future spouse in the dream. People also eat well: new boiled potatoes with dill and herring or they like to barbeque. :eat1: Fresh strawberries are also usually available at this time and they go well with ice cream.

I spend at this year my midsummer eve at the city and while the evening walking at the yesterday, it felt like the whole city was empty from people. But when I was a kid, I too made such magic like collected flowers.

Celebrating the midsummer is very old tradition, from the era of paganism so it has continued in here over thousands of years with quite similar ways - bonfires, eating and drinking well.

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ah, I would enjoy experiencing that!

Thanks, Saliha!

Lee