Chicken?

Derek

Banned
I think I know why I dislike chicken so much?

My folks always cooked it the same exact way every time we had it.

So I'm thinking that's why I don't like chicken that much, But now I'm on my own I can try experiment with cooked chicken and chicken flavors.

What would guys suggest I start so I can like chicken again? I do like those little Cornish Hens

Probably calls for a flavor inject and a lots of chiles right?

Thanks everyone for the replies in advanced.

buckytom

Grill Master
how did your parents cook it, so we don't offer the same suggestions.

it sounds to me like you like darker meat, more moist chicken, yes?

game hens are a good way to go. we just rinse them, making sure to remove any guts left in the inside. they're patted dry, rubbed with olive oil, sea salt and pepper, then sprinkled with paprika. sometimes garlic powder, also.

put 'em on a rack in a baking pan, and roast at 375 for about an hour.

Derek

Banned
how did your parents cook it, so we don't offer the same suggestions.

it sounds to me like you like darker meat, more moist chicken, yes?

game hens are a good way to go. we just rinse them, making sure to remove any guts left in the inside. they're patted dry, rubbed with olive oil, sea salt and pepper, then sprinkled with paprika. sometimes garlic powder, also.

put 'em on a rack in a baking pan, and roast at 375 for about an hour.
Mostly chicken breasts sauteed until cooked, It was dry most of the time, And then buying chicken breasts cut them up in bits and fry them in flour and peanut oil.

CharlieD

I was going to say chicken Marsala, but since you already do not like chicken breast you may want to start with dark meat first. I'd say chicken leg quarters baked and then add some nice mushroom gravy with some mashed potato on the side.

Derek

Banned
Make a beer can chicken on the grill.
(oven works too)
I've come to like it much more than just roasting one.
Here's the recipe I use... never ever dry just TASTY!
:)
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Beer-Can-Chicken-102216

Thank you Ladies, I will give it a try, SQ I was going to try that with the beer soon.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
If you like cornish game hens, an alternative to roasting them as BT suggested, is to butterfly them and grill them outside. Magnificent!

My favorite way to have chicken:

Mom's Baked Chicken

Chicken leg quarters, chicken wings, drumsticks or thighs
2 cups flour, seasoned with poultry seasoning or whatever you like
1 head garlic
Celery leaves
butter
Pam

Shake up chicken in seasoned flour. Place pieces on a foiled and Pammed cookie sheet, where you have placed a whole head of garlic cloves (separated, but not peeled). Top each piece of chicken with a small smear of butter, a couple of celery leaves and some seasoned salt. Bake at 350 for an hour and 15 minutes.

Derek, I tell you, this is my all time favorite!!! The skin is crispy and delicious and the meat is tender and moist!

I will post this in a separate thread when I make it next and have a photo. My mother has been making chicken like this since I was a kid, and though I try a million other recipes, I always go back to this one!

Lee

lilylove

line a pan with tin foil... put in about a 1/4 cup of veggie oil

put pan in 350 oven for 10 minutes. Remove pan.

lay some chicken pieces in pan...what ever you like... I use legs and thighs

sprinkle with salt, pepper, oregano and paprika
stick back in oven for 25 minutes

Take pan out of oven turn chicken over and spinkle the other side of the chicken with the spices.

bake for another 10 minutes.

open a can of mushrooms... spread over chicken use the mushroom juice too.

top with parm cheese and more of the spice mixture. Bake until cheese is warm and melted.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Smothered Chicken:

Ingredients:

3-1/2# or larger whole chicken (quartered) (or you can use pieces of your choice)
1-1/2 Cups all-purpose flour
Salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, garlic powder & paprika.
Vegetable oil for frying
Homemade chicken gravy (see below) or 2 (12 oz) jars of roasted chicken gravy.

Directions:

In a 1-gallon plastic storage bag combine flour, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, garlic powder and paprika. Shake well to combine.

Quarter the chicken (or cut up into pieces, your choice) and toss in flour mixture, making sure chicken is well coated. Set chicken to the side.
In a straight-sided pan, heat 1/2inch of vegetable oil on medium high heat. Oil is ready when oil foams when some flour is dusted over oil.

Fry coated chicken until golden brown, about 8-10 minutes per side.

Remove chicken to a drain rack and pour off most of the oil from the pan (if using bottle gravy) except for about 4-5 T, being careful to leave the bits of flour and crispy pieces behind. If using bottle gravy, pour gravy into the pan and heat with medium heat, then skip the next step.

Gravy directions:

1/4Cup of all-purpose flour
2 (14 oz) cans of chicken stock
1 Cup diced onion
1/2Cup diced celery
1/2Cup diced bell pepper (any color)

Over medium high heat whisk flour into oil, combining all the remnants from the pan and scraping down the sides until you get a dark roux. Then toss in diced onions and stir until onions soften and start to darken, about 4-5 minutes. Add celery and bell pepper and stir for about 1 minute. Slowly pour in chicken stock, whisking constantly to combine. Adjust seasoning to taste, and simmer to slightly thicken.

Return chicken to pan and turn in gravy to coat all pieces. Cover tightly and allow to simmer for 10-20 minutes, or until chicken is completely done with no pink near the bone. Serve with choice of potato, tossed salad and vegetable of choice.

P1010554.jpg

High Cheese

Saucier
I think I know why I dislike chicken so much?

My folks always cooked it the same exact way every time we had it.

So I'm thinking that's why I don't like chicken that much, But now I'm on my own I can try experiment with cooked chicken and chicken flavors.

What would guys suggest I start so I can like chicken again? I do like those little Cornish Hens

Probably calls for a flavor inject and a lots of chiles right?

Thanks everyone for the replies in advanced.

Chicken breast is about the most boring piece of protein known to man.

Use dark meat, plus the dark meat has a super huge window of doneness, but remember it takes longer to cook.

You can:

Grill them with poultry seasoning, salt/pepper
Marinade in 1/2 soy 1/2 terriyaki and grill or saute them
Braise in canned diced tomatoes with onions, bay leaf, garlic and capers, plate over rice
Pan fry with veggies
Debone and make kebobs.
Those bottled specialty sauces are great for basting and grilling.