Babcia Bread aka Polish Sweet Bread

Deelady

Babcia Bread aka Polish Sweet Bread (Chleb Drozdzowy)

Ingredients

1 stick butter
1/2 cup milk
2 1/2 teaspoons (1 package) yeast
3 3/4 cups AP flour, divided
3 eggs
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
Procedure

1. Put the milk and butter into microwave-safe container and heat to melt the butter. The milk shouldn't boil, it should be just warm enough to melt the butter. Cool (if needed) to lukewarm.
2. Put the milk mixture into the bowl of your stand mixer, add the yeast and 1 cup of flour, and mix well.
3. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it sit for 15 minutes. It will rise a bit during this time.
4. Add eggs, and beat with the paddle attachment until well combined. Add salt, sugar and vanilla and beat well. Add the remaining 2 3/4 cups of flour, mix with the paddle to combine, then switch to the dough hook and knead well.
5. During kneading, the dough will begin sticking to the sides of the bowl and building up, until very little is left on the hook. Stop the mixer and scrape it down as this happens. It may take several times before the dough gives up on this sticking. Eventually, the dough will form a ball around the hook, with just a little "foot" of dough stuck to the bottom of the bowl, but the sides will remain clean. Keep kneading until the dough is smooth and shiny. It will be a soft dough, but it shouldn't be sticky or goopy at all. If it is sticky, add additional flour as needed, in small increments. It shouldn't need a lot more flour; this dough seems loose while kneading but holds its shape well after you form it.
6. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough rest until doubled in size; it may take 2 hours, or more.
7. Sprinkle cornmeal on the bottom of a 10-inch loaf pan.
8. Knead dough again, shape, and put into a bread pan. You shouldn't need any flour to knead or shape this dough. It's not sticky at all.
9. Let it rise again until doubled in size. Again, It can take a long time to rise. Be patient.
10. Brush top with beaten egg yolk mixed with water, if desired, for a shiny top. You can slash the top, or leave it as-is.
11. Bake at 325 degrees for 45-55 minutes, until deeply browned.
12. Let the loaf cool for five minutes before taking it out of the pan to cool completely on a rack before cutting.

Source: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...olish-sweet-bread-chleb-drozdzowy-recipe.html

Attachments

• food 193.jpg
    food 193.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 458
  • food 196.jpg
    food 196.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 458

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Dee! How SPECTACULAR!!!!

Please post a photo when you slice it! I am dying to see the "crumb" (as the pros say).

Lee

Deelady

Thanks Lee but as I said in the IC thread I'm afraid I didn't cook it long enough and the center was raw! I was very upset since we spent all day just about on it :( DD still loved eating the outside though! LOL
I guess I have a thing or two to learn on the art of bread making :shock:

Attachments

• food 197.jpg
    food 197.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 451

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, I am very impressed with your bravery and extremely proud of your effort!

You are more adventurous than I!

Your DD and I would be fighting over the best pieces!! :)

Lee

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
You just didn't bake it long enough, sweetie. It was an excellent effort though--the best test is to tap the bottom and if it is hollow sounding it is done.