REAL HAND-MADE TORTILLAS

DonRent

Does anyone know where I can buy/order the "real" hand-padded old fashion tortillas ??? Any info would be really greatly appreciated.... :applause:
Don

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I don't know where to buy/order "real" old fashioned tortillas but do have a recipe I've tried that has worked for me the few times I've made them

Flour Tortillas

What you will need
Rolling Pin
1 Gallon Ziplock

It would be nice to have
Tortilla Press
Tortilla warmer (If you don't have one use a small covered casserole.)

Ingredients
3 cups unbleached flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. Crisco solid
about 1 1/4 cups warm water

In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients. Use a whisk and gently mix.
Use a fork and cut in the Crisco. Keep working it in till there are no lumps of Crisco you turn the mixture over with the whisk.

Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture and add about half of the water. Mix it with a spoon.

Add about half of the remaining water and mix.

Carefully add the rest of the water a little at a time and mix.
You are trying to achieve a smooth non sticky dough that you can work easily by hand. If you have added all the water and it is still dry and stringy, add 1 Tbsp more of water.. If the dough is too wet, add one tbsp more of flour till you get the smooth consistency. The trick that usually works for me is when all the water is in, it still seems a bit dry. I add 1 Tbsp of water and it seems to get too wet, but, when I sprinkle 1 Tbsp of flower and work it, it just comes out perfect. Divide the dough ball into 12 equal parts. Put the dough balls aside to rest.

Now for the trick. Take the gallon ziplock and cut off the top. Then slit down the two sides. You have a sort of a plastic file folder.

Take one of the balls and center it between the tow sides of the ziplock. If you have a tortilla press, put the ziplock in the press with the dough ball in the center and press. Then take it out and put it flat on the counter. Use the rolling pin to further flatten it out. Work from the center out.

If you do not have a tortilla press, use the rolling pin and work from the center out and roll it flat. The zip lock will keep anything from sticking to the rolling pin

Carefully peel back one side of the ziplock.. Careful starting it. Once you get it started, it should peel well. The first couple are the hardest. I think the Crisco then lubricates the plastic and from then on it is cool. (Maybe a spray of non stick stuff)

Then peel the tortilla back off the bottom plastic. Kind of let it lay over your hand. Gently plop the tortilla on a fairly hot,dry cast iron griddle. If you do not get it flat immediately, leave it. It will stick in place for a few seconds. You are cooking about 30 – 50 seconds per side. You want to brown it a little,not burn. Just before it browns is OK too. When it is ready to turn, it will release from the griddle and you can flip it.

When the second side is done pop it into a tortilla warmer or covered casserole. The tortilla will be stiff when it comes off the griddle. After a few minutes in the warmer, you will have a beautiful soft warm tortilla. My tortillas have stayed warm for several hours (3 or so) in the warmer.

DonRent

Thanks Joe, but I must apologise, because I really meant CORN tortillas... Corn T's are the orginal ones and the "flour"s are an American attempt to so- call improve them....

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh man, joe, I LOVE flour tortillas and the ones I get around here aren't good at all.

I will try these! Thanks!!!

Lee

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Ok here is one for corn tortillas

Ingredients

1 3/4 cups masa harina
1 1/8 cups water

Directions

In a medium bowl, mix together masa harina and hot water until thoroughly combined. Turn dough onto a clean surface and knead until pliable and smooth. If dough is too sticky, add more masa harina; if it begins to dry out, sprinkle with water. Cover dough tightly with plastic wrap and allow to stand for 30 minutes. Preheat a cast iron skillet or griddle to medium-high. Divide dough into 15 equal-size balls. Using a tortilla press, a rolling pin, or your hands, press each ball of dough flat between two sheets of plastic wrap.

Immediately place tortilla in preheated pan and allow to cook for approximately 30 seconds, or until browned and slightly puffy. Turn tortilla over to brown on second side for approximately 30 seconds more, then transfer to a plate. Repeat process with each ball of dough. Keep tortillas covered with a towel to stay warm and moist until ready to serve.

I have many more if you need them. :mrgreen:

High Cheese

Saucier
Thanks Joe, but I must apologise, because I really meant CORN tortillas... Corn T's are the orginal ones and the "flour"s are an American attempt to so- call improve them....

After using corn tortillas I can't eat the flour ones anymore. Tastes like newspaper.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I actually meant to post the corn ones but grabbed the wrong file.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I have to say, I find different uses for corn and flour tortillas.

Flour is a bit harder to make right, thye have to be really thin.

HC - when you make a roux if you do not cook it long enough it tastes floury. Same with the flour tortilla. I press them in my tortilla press then put in a gallon plastic bag and roll them before cooking. Makes a big difference.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have to say, I find different uses for corn and flour tortillas.

Flour is a bit harder to make right, thye have to be really thin.

HC - when you make a roux if you do not cook it long enough it tastes floury. Same with the flour tortilla. I press them in my tortilla press then put in a gallon plastic bag and roll them before cooking. Makes a big difference.

I agree with that a 100% or they taste like flour. The corn are good and very easy to make as all one needs is a cast iron skillet and little else.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
That is what I was thinking Wart regardless of Corn or flour based.