NCT COOK'S CHALLENGE VOLUME 2010

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
But will "seasonal" be a Cook Challenge when seasonal is in season? :biggrin:
but EVERY MONTH is in season. just pick an item that is in season for your state and cook it. sort of like the secret ingrediet challenge we just had only use what is in season for your state. I think it would be great to have a seperate "seasonal" challenge every month, that way people can discover new seasonal ingredients, use them and also help local producers with much needed income. we should all support local farmers. i live in jersey and far to many of the small mom and pop farms have gone under because of the big chains and they can't compete. supporting local will give you the freshest and usually organic ingredients. ok sorry rant over.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
but EVERY MONTH is in season. just pick an item that is in season for your state and cook it.

I was thinking something more along the lines of being in tune with the Farmer's Market. Around here, the farmers are hibernating from October to March. Fresh produce starts to show in April. The Farmer's Market goes into full Swing in May......but it closes again at the end of August.

The only things in season in Alabama during the winter months is Collard greens and Turnips (according to that list). No one grows that here, so it is shipped in from who knows where. But from April to August, I can get fresh corn, beans, potatoes, and so much more.

sort of like the secret ingrediet challenge we just had only use what is in season for your state. I think it would be great to have a seperate "seasonal" challenge every month,

That's what I'm talking about. I was suggesting that, for May through August, why not set aside the last week of each month for "Seasonal". No random number pick, just agree it is Seasonal something.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I was thinking something more along the lines of being in tune with the Farmer's Market. Around here, the farmers are hibernating from October to March. Fresh produce starts to show in April. The Farmer's Market goes into full Swing in May......but it closes again at the end of August.

The only things in season in Alabama during the winter months is Collard greens and Turnips (according to that list). No one grows that here, so it is shipped in from who knows where. But from April to August, I can get fresh corn, beans, potatoes, and so much more.

That's what I'm talking about. I was suggesting that, for May through August, why not set aside the last week of each month for "Seasonal". No random number pick, just agree it is Seasonal something.
OOPS sorry i missed that last week thing.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
how about:

fruit (any variety fresh or dried)
ground critter (any ground meat - land or air)