Dinner...sunday .. december 20 ..

Love2"Q"

Everyone must be out shopping ...
so since my kitchen is almost back together ... i am cooking it up ..
beer can chicken .. ABTs .. keilbasa for the princess ..
corn on the cob , mashed taters and stuffing ...
some gravy and a few beers ..
what about everyone else ..
all 3 of you that are here ..

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
Years ago (about 14) we took a trip to Jerusalem where we toured a farmer's market. One of the purveyors had a big pot of bubbling tomato sauce in which he'd cook/poach eggs. He explained that the sauce was rather spicy. Since I can't tolerate hot spices, and I'm not a fan of eggs (as my Uncle said, "I won't eat anything that comes from a chicken's ass"), I wouldn't try it. My wife did and absolutely loved it. For years we looked for something similar, but with no luck.

A few weeks ago we took a trip to Montreal and found a small Turkish restaurant we loved on Ste. Catherine. Among other things, they served a dish they called Menemen. Jan tried it and loved it, but by now, she couldn't remember exactly what the dish tasted like. In the "I guess it was meant to be" department, we went back to our room and I was browsing through the then current edition of Saveur. On page 124 they had a recipe for Shakshuka which sounded very similar. Well, that's what I made today for her lunch. The recipe, with my adaptations and pictures, can be found HERE

666-shakshuka.png

Deelady

Man that sounds like a feast!! Enjoy!

We are having a late lunch/snack right now so I'm not sure ow hungry we'll be....

homecook

I've been baking more cookies this afternoon. I've been here and there. lol

I'm making a batch of sloppy joes so when the kids (dd & sil) get back here they'll have something to eat. I've been eating cookies, not too hungry.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
9 inches of snow outside!!
Beef Stew with whole wheat italian bread and tossed salad. Christmas cookies for dessert. I'm drinking wine...not sure what I've got here:whistling:

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Years ago (about 14) we took a trip to Jerusalem where we toured a farmer's market. One of the purveyors had a big pot of bubbling tomato sauce in which he'd cook/poach eggs. He explained that the sauce was rather spicy. Since I can't tolerate hot spices, and I'm not a fan of eggs (as my Uncle said, "I won't eat anything that comes from a chicken's ass"), I wouldn't try it. My wife did and absolutely loved it. For years we looked for something similar, but with no luck.

A few weeks ago we took a trip to Montreal and found a small Turkish restaurant we loved on Ste. Catherine. Among other things, they served a dish they called Menemen. Jan tried it and loved it, but by now, she couldn't remember exactly what the dish tasted like. In the "I guess it was meant to be" department, we went back to our room and I was browsing through the then current edition of Saveur. On page 124 they had a recipe for Shakshuka which sounded very similar. Well, that's what I made today for her lunch. The recipe, with my adaptations and pictures, can be found HERE

666-shakshuka.png

I grew up eating something similar, especially when my mom's pantry and fridge was running low....spicy sauce, pepper and onion slices and eggs poached in the sauce - with italian bread.

dansdiamond

Food Sound Eng.
Gold Site Supporter
Looks like left overs. a little finger food.

002-5.jpg

SCALLOPS WOULN'T FIT IN LAST NIGHT CIOPINNO!

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
we can't decide- went from leftovers to pizza. i can't take pizza, i consumed that too often in my other city. ~shudder~ maybe chinese for me & a stromboli for him?

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter

666-shakshuka.png

Hey, I subscribe to that site!! Both New Recipes and Popular Recipes, very cool!
I think this is something the wife would love, so I will try and make it sometime soon, thanks!

And those scallops look great too! We are having fish tonight, nothing special just some Flounder with veggies and a rice dish.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
LOL, Just some basil I added for color for the picture :) But, that sure does look like a frog <BG>

suziquzie

i'm about to go check the freezer for something with many fatty empty calories to feed my children because i am tooooooo lazy to cook anything decent after my 2, starting at 4am, 10 hour, working with teenagers and one certifiable adult, workdays, :p

obviously i'm drinking my dinner, dh says he's not hungry. he'll end up with cookies.

homecook

I changed my mind and went with chili. The grandkids and I got done with the cookies and mom and dad came to pick them up. Son-in-law has to work early tomorrow so they took their dinner home with them. lol I had a bowl of chili and some saltines.
Oh, and a couple/few beers.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
waiting for jake to open this wine! i got soup & lo-mein noodles. they give ya wayyyyyyyyy too many. got like 1/4 of the way thru that take-out box. soup needed work though. too many floaties. yeah, wine's uncorked, later guys!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I changed my mind and went with chili. The grandkids and I got done with the cookies and mom and dad came to pick them up. Son-in-law has to work early tomorrow so they took their dinner home with them. lol I had a bowl of chili and some saltines.
Oh, and a couple/few beers.
You??????? A few beers?????? I'm shocked!

NOT!:yum:

DW made beef tips over noodles and a salad of mixed greens, almonds, raisins, tomatoes and raspberry vinaigrette dressing. It was DELICIOUS! She used 1/2 C of Merlot in the sauce, and it was over the top.

P1020327.jpg

I was busy baking today. We needed some daily bread, and DS is having a holiday party at work tomorrow, and asked me to make "some of those nasty cinnamon rolls" for him to bring.:yum: Since there will be a lot of people and a lot of desserts, I made "mini" rolls instead of full size rolls.

P1020325.jpg

P1020326.jpg

We're having pulled pork sammies on Christmas Eve, so I put a rub on 10# of pork butts and put it out in the garage to sit for 4-5 hours. I'll pop it in the oven on 225F around 10 tonight, and it should be done sometime in the morning. I'll shred it and drown it in SBR sauce then freeze it for Thursday. BTW, I saw a tip on Foodnetwork today, and am using thick sliced onion slices as trivets to keep the meat off the bottom of the pan. We'll see how that works out.:whistling:

P1020328.jpg

Last edited:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Looks fab Joe.
Onions for trivets? what a brilliant idea!
Better make them damned thick, if ya know what I mean lol

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Had some leftover turkey and turkey broth in the freezer from Thanksgiving so I made turkey and dumplings with green beans.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Looks fab Joe.
Onions for trivets? what a brilliant idea!
Better make them damned thick, if ya know what I mean lol
Yep! They are about 3/8" thick, but we all know what will happen to them, regardless of how thick they are.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I'd take Ray's advice and use half if not 3/4 of an onion myself....:whistling:
I have been making this for many years, and have never used this technique, so I'm not concerned with the outcome. It will still be swimming in fat by the morning, and it will be delicious.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I have been making this for many years, and have never used this technique, so I'm not concerned with the outcome. It will still be swimming in fat by the morning, and it will be delicious.
That I am certain of! :kiss:
Dis is cooking Joe, not polyticks:yum:
Smooch!