Boom in tiny bedbugs is causing big trouble

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
Buildings have cooties so it seems.

WASHINGTON — The biggest bedbug outbreak since World War II has sent a collective shudder among apartment dwellers, college students and business travelers across the nation.
The bugs — reddish brown, flat and about the size of a grain of rice — suck human blood. They resist many pesticides and spread quickly in certain mattress-heavy buildings, such as hotels, dormitories and apartment complexes.

Two shelters have closed temporarily in Charlotte, N.C. , because of bedbugs, a Yahoo chat group dedicates itself to sufferers and countless bedbug blogs provide forums for news, tips and commiseration. State inspectors say that more emphasis may be needed to tackle the creatures.
Federal officials have taken notice of the resurgence. Last month, the Environmental Protection Agency held its first-ever bedbug summit, and now a North Carolina congressman wants to take on the insect.
Democratic Rep. G.K. Butterfield just introduced legislation that would authorize $50 million that's already in the Department of Commerce budget to train health inspectors how to recognize signs of the insects.
The Don't Let the Bed Bugs Bite Act of 2009 also would require public housing agencies to submit bedbug inspection plans to the federal government. It would add bedbugs to a rodent and cockroach program in the Department of Health and Human Services .

http://news.yahoo.com/s/mcclatchy/20090515/sc_mcclatchy/3234191_1

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Try camping in your own bedroll. That way you won't take anything home to DW! If she's like my wife, she wouldn't believe you got bedbugs from the Holiday Inn Express. Mine would think I was at the "No Tell Motel."

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito

Attachments

• omg.jpg
    omg.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 80

chowhound

I saw a bed bug show on that exterminator program. I guess the problem is they don't poop where they eat (you might say), so they can be extremely tough to locate their nest and get rid of them. Exterminators even have bed bug sniffing dogs to try to help find them during the day.