Dressing (Stuffing) - The Best!

Granny

For years, I was on a quest to find the perfect dressing recipe. Every Thanksgiving and Christmas I would try a different one. About 5 years ago I found this recipe, and my search was over.

If a couple of the ingredients seem unusual to you, it is because you are use to the same old traditional ingredients. Never fear, this dressing is awesome.

Dressing

1 stick butter
1 onion, chopped
3 ribs celery, chopped
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can chicken broth
1 teaspoon sage
1 box Stovetop (Sage or Herb flavor)
7 slices sandwich bread; toasted, crumbled

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cook onion and celery in butter. Remove from heat. Stir in the soup, broth and sage. Stir in the Stovetop, then the toast.

Spread into a greased 8" square pan. Bake 30 to 40 minutes until lightly browned.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I showed your recipe to my wife. Her response:

i like it. will do it this year. it is very close to what i have done before just not the soup part. sounds good.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I once used Stovetop before, but to me, it has too much salt in it, so I make my own - like I've been doing for years. :mellow:

Granny

Yes, Stovetop is too salty for some people, but because other things are added, the recipe didn't seem at all salty to me, but some people like more salt than others, we are all different. Although I no longer make it, I still love traditional home-made dressing as well.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
we make ours w/ toast/celery/onion/butter/sage/other seasonings, over a range; then we stuff a turkey, tie, bake, baste, then dine.

we bake extras in a baking dish.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I like both traditional regular bread & cornbraed stuffing. Sometimes, I mixe the two together.

Call me old school, but I just don't like any of that other junk that people like to put in it, such as apples, walnuts, raisins, cranberries, cherries or any of that crap!

Sometimes, our mom used to cut corners and use the Jiffy corn muffing mix for the bread in the stuffing! Problem with that was that the cornbread was real sweet - making the stuffing wicked sweet!!! :bonk: :bbq:

Johnny West

I like both traditional regular bread & cornbraed stuffing. Sometimes, I mixe the two together.

Call me old school, but I just don't like any of that other junk that people like to put in it, such as apples, walnuts, raisins, cranberries, cherries or any of that crap!

Sometimes, our mom used to cut corners and use the Jiffy corn muffing mix for the bread in the stuffing! Problem with that was that the cornbread was real sweet - making the stuffing wicked sweet!!! :bonk: :bbq:

I can agree with you Shermie. I do like oysters or chopped giblets, though. If I use fruits or nuts it's with geese (not so much ducks as I like la'orange or red wine braise with wild duck). With pheasants it's a traditional dressing with a bit more sage and abit of bacon grease. Now I'm hungry.