anybody ever make Pupusa's?

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i got the try some Salvadoran food this past summer and would sure like to find someone who knows how to make them properly..lol

Pupusa that were served with curtido slaw(pickled Salvadoran slaw)

20080523pupusa.jpg

FooD

In L.A. pupusas are popular with street vendors and pupusa trucks. My wife is Salvaroran and she gets them through someone who does pupusas. She would never cook these herself as they're readily available everywhere here in the southland. I love them.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
In L.A. pupusas are popular with street vendors and pupusa trucks. My wife is Salvaroran and she gets them through someone who does pupusas. She would never cook these herself as they're readily available everywhere here in the southland. I love them.

i tried them in Northern Cali this year at a festival...i was hooked...i ate them for 5 days straight..lol

I want to try them, & saved some recipes for arepas, as well. If you can find the flour/cornmeal at a Hispanic grocery, they look like they would be fun to make. I wonder if I could cheat & use biscuit dough.

Here are some videos that might help.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UCUB61mq6I&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7TA0nwCSuA[/ame]

Arepas

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7abAaXHA6SU[/ame]

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i think the biscuit dough would give it the wrong texture and make it a different flavor.

i have many mexican markets around here but no one makes pupusa's around me..lol

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
thanks Mama...its about 15miles away.. darn it, its by Amandas favorite mall... that all you can eat Pupusa's are gonna cost me..lol

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
You're welcome Jeff! Glad I could help....I just hope they live up to all the hype.

thanks Mama...its about 15miles away.. darn it, its by Amandas favorite mall... that all you can eat Pupusa's are gonna cost me..lol

Sounds like a win-win to me. Dinner & shopping. :hide:

Yeah. I know the texture & taste would be different. My brain jumped into mini calzones, mini stuffed tacos etc as appetizers.

I can do a search through my recipes for the name of the flour (cornmeal/cornstarch) & cordita, but you'll probably find the same on line. The videos are cool, because they show how the dough is put together, & the variety of ingredients if you want to try it at home. I want one. lol

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
they are so good CC...you gotta have them with Curtido(Salvadoran cabbage salad/coleslaw)...its spicy,fermented sometimes and vinegary.

papusa's are generally made from masa de maíz but tradtionally like real corn tortillas Hominy from what i have been reading. The ones on most recipes listed use masa harina(finely ground corn flour)

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I make tortillas from masa harina, and like the DDD version the best. The thin tortilla would cook fasteR than the other versions, and the plate controlling the thickness is a good idea. My tortilla press would just make them too thin to handle.

I just may try this today for lunch with the leftover neck bones from the sauce I made.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've sure never made it but have eaten it a few times, mostly in Central America and if I remember correctly once in a place in California.