any suggestions for a great menu??

Deelady

I am planning a surprise Birthday Party for my Fiance for when he returns from Iraq next week and I am struggling with what to serve....

I am planning on there being possibly 10 of us. Its just going to be a casual party, drinking, pool playing eating ect.

I dont want to be in the kitchen the whole time but I dont want to serve just whatever....

My only menu ideas so far are.....

Fried Pretzel bites with Mustard dipping sauce

Fried Pepperoni with marinara dipping sauce (this is a maybe on the menu)

Beer and onions Braised Brats served on hoagies with bell peppers and onions

Fried chicken wing drummets

Spinach dip with french bread

Salsa (someone is bringing one I guess there are known for??)

Margaritas

????????and from therenon I am stumped....

Any great party pleaser recipes that you would never know you didnt slave over??? :smile:

TIA!!

lilylove

YIPPPPEEEEEE on his coming home again!!!!! How long does he get to stay? I'm excited for you!!!!!!

How about a big pot of soup that you can make the day before or chili or stew..?

or a casserole or some type ... a fancy mac and cheeseor scallaped ham and potatoes or the shreaded cabbage that I posted the other day? All can be made a head of time and warmed up on party day.

Add some artichokes to the spinach dip to make it special and yummy!
Clam dip with crackers
fruit and veggie trays

Have fun!!
let people bring things!!

Deelady

I actually thought of a 7 layer dip....but all I heard in my head was people saying (Oh why did you have to put olives??...Oh why did you have to put beans?? Oh why did you have to put guacamole???) By the time they get done with it, it will be a 3 Layer dip!! :S

GrantsKat

strawberries dipped in chocolate and a couple of bottles of champagne.......tell everyone the party was cancelled!

:sorry: I guess that doesnt help much.........:neutral:

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
For our family Christmas party I made coffee crusted beef tenderloin. Rub it, roast it, chill it, slice it. Serve it on some fancy slices of bread with a piece of green leaf lettuce and some mayo-mustard. It was very easy, delicious, and they went through them like vultures... I can dig out the recipe if it sounds good to you.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
strawberries dipped in chocolate and a couple of bottles of champagne.......tell everyone the party was cancelled!

I was thinking along those lines myself. I know when I came home food wasn't what I wanted. :smile:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Dee, would you consider an antipasto?

All you have to do is roll stuff, and arrange stuff, and BOOM, you're done! Serve with some nice Italian bread or rolls, if you want to make sandwiches.

If you want something hot to go with, you could make a big pan of lasagna or ziti. Or maybe a crockpot of Italian sausages, peppers and onions. Or, what the hell, ALL of it! :)

Here are a couple that I've done at different people's houses. I LOVE the stuff!

Lee

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Dee, would you consider an antipasto?

All you have to do is roll stuff, and arrange stuff, and BOOM, you're done! Serve with some nice Italian bread or rolls, if you want to make sandwiches.

If you want something hot to go with, you could make a big pan of lasagna or ziti. Or maybe a crockpot of Italian sausages, peppers and onions. Or, what the hell, ALL of it! :)

Here are a couple that I've done at different people's houses. I LOVE the stuff!

Lee

Holy cow, Lee!!!! That is just gorgeous!! With an assortment of good breads and plenty of beer, I can't imagine anything better! But Dee, I was wondering what sort of dessert you'd have. Cheesecake might be good with your menu. And we all wanna know - is he coming home for good??? I wish I lived closer cuz I'd take your little girl for a week so you can really celebrate.

Deelady

Don't worry....he'll be home almost a week befor the party.....we'll have plenty of time beforhand (as well as after ;) ) for that!! :wub::blush::ohmy:

Deelady

Holy cow, Lee!!!! That is just gorgeous!! With an assortment of good breads and plenty of beer, I can't imagine anything better! But Dee, I was wondering what sort of dessert you'd have. Cheesecake might be good with your menu. And we all wanna know - is he coming home for good??? I wish I lived closer cuz I'd take your little girl for a week so you can really celebrate.

Actually for dessert I have it set...its kinda silly but he loves it....he adores chocolate chip cookies so I am getting one of those huge Mrs Fields cookie pizzas. :thumb: Normally I always have homemade cookies waiting for him each time he comes home but this time I have much else to do!

Qsis, I think the platters are beautiful and I believe you have inspired me to hit Trader Joes and make a platter! Since I know mostly people will enjoy munching while playing pool!

Fishers Mom that is so sweet! But no he is not home for good, just for a little under a month! But we will have plenty of times to get out since his sister live not 2 mins away! :)
I already have tickets to see a concert and we are going to a historic restraunt down town to have a nice dinner.
We will also be busy planning our Weddingmoon :D

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes the antipasto idea is a great one. We actually do that for dinner on the weekends occasionally. Perhaps some cheese cake, ice cream or even fresh fruit for desert if that is necessary though not for me.

Last edited:

PanchoHambre

Well with Margheritas do you really care what the food is.... you got a party no matter what!

Sounds like sort of a pub-grub type menu which is great. here are some of my favs

Buffalo Blue Cheese dip... could go with you chicken... but best with hot wings

Beer Battered Kosher Dill Pickles

Fried Ravioli

Sweet Potato Fries

Sliders

Popcorm Shrimp

Hush Puppies

Baked Clams

Bangers and Mash

yeah I like bars....and bar food

Deelady

I love bar food as well, and those all sound great to me....but given that the birthday boy is very much allergic to any shell fish...may not be such a good idea for some of those! ;) Or he he may be packing back to Iraq alot sooner than planned!! :ohmy:

I have two bonless chuck roasts in the freezer....other than post roast or stew any ideas of maybe being able to put those to use?? Last time I sliced them thin and made Shawarmas that were a huge hit!

Any ideas?

Well with Margheritas do you really care what the food is.... you got a party no matter what!

Sounds like sort of a pub-grub type menu which is great. here are some of my favs

Fried Ravioli

Sweet Potato Fries

Sliders

Popcorm Shrimp

Hush Puppies

Baked Clams

Bangers and Mash

Deelady

Oh and along with the margaritas we are also having several kinds of wine we picked up at a winery, and about 5 different kinds of beer.....I call him the beer snob! :thumb:

Fried Ravioli

Sweet Potato Fries

Sliders

Popcorm Shrimp

Hush Puppies

Baked Clams

Bangers and Mash

PanchoHambre

yeah.... you don't want to kill the poor guy X on the seafood... I love it but with white wine it always comes right back at me:sad:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
I have two bonless chuck roasts in the freezer....other than post roast or stew any ideas of maybe being able to put those to use?? Last time I sliced them thin and made Shawarmas that were a huge hit!

Any ideas?

you can make a pulled beef sandwich out of them instead of pulled pork...

throw in slow cooker (crock pot) with garlic,onions,your favorite bbq sauce and cook until falls apart

serve with your favorite sides

easy to make, no constant watching and u can put it on the night before and will be done when u r ready to eat

Deelady

you can make a pulled beef sandwich out of them instead of pulled pork...

throw in slow cooker (crock pot) with garlic,onions,your favorite bbq sauce and cook until falls apart

serve with your favorite sides

easy to make, no constant watching and u can put it on the night before and will be done when u r ready to eat

Hmmmmm you think one roast would be enough ? I have a 2 lb one and a 3 lb one....?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Hmmmmm you think one roast would be enough ? I have a 2 lb one and a 3 lb one....?

Use them both which will give you 5 lbs for 10 people or 2 lbs of meat per person. That is more than I can eat in one sitting. It will keep for lunch or snacks the next day though.

Deelady

Use them both which will give you 5 lbs for 10 people or 2 lbs of meat per person. That is more than I can eat in one sitting. It will keep for lunch or snacks the next day though.

Oh, because the reason I was asking was because I knew I would have all the other food as well, but I didnt know how much it would cook down....?

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter

yup use both

i still to this even though i bbq mostly... u will have other sides... when i sell pulled pork sandwiches i serve from 6-10oz servings...depends on the person...

my preferred commercial bbq sauce is sweet baby ray's.... i like the honey line...

cant get it where i am, anybody wanna ship me a bottle?..lmao

CharlieD

My all time favorite appetizer is mixture of the good ketchup and butter spread on a crouton, like maybe cut up French baguette, and then sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan. Yum. Not the healthiest one, but darn tasty.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
my preferred commercial bbq sauce is sweet baby ray's.... i like the honey line...

cant get it where i am, anybody wanna ship me a bottle?..lmao

To be honest I've never heard of it before. When I use commercial I go with KC brands and find them all decent for store bought.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i usually buy mine at walmart... less than $2 for a bottle

41sgBP3vHhL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Deelady

Will do you guys! Thanks.....and I also decided to serve a broccoli slaw with it.

Let me put this all together and see if I'm set.......