5 Spice Mix as sub for cinnamon & ginger

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
When a recipe calls for cinnamon I usually use some ginger too as we like that taste.

I recently decided that using 5 spice Mix would be more efficient, as it has both of those spices in there and more.

The taste in my honey cake was fine, but the tsimmes (cooked carrots) was awful !!!!

Anyone ?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Here is a basic recipe for Five Spice Powder. It is a pretty strong spice mixture with a little going a long way.

5 teaspoon ground anise (aniseed)
5 teaspoon star anise
1 cinnamon stick (5) in cassia bark
2 tablespoon whole cloves
7 teaspoon fennel seeds

joec

Gold Site Supporter
It has cinnomon but no ginger at traditionally. The recipe I gave you would need to grind it all into a fine powder to be 5 spice as you would buy it.

FryBoy

When a recipe calls for cinnamon I usually use some ginger too as we like that taste.

I recently decided that using 5 spice Mix would be more efficient, as it has both of those spices in there and more.

The taste in my honey cake was fine, but the tsimmes (cooked carrots) was awful !!!!

Anyone ?
To my palate, the dominate taste in Chinese Five Spice Powder is the star anise, which can be overpowering. I wouldn't use it as a substitute for cinnamon and/or ginger.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
The cloves and fennel seeds can also be a bit overpowering as well as the anise. Mix those together and cinnamon is hardly noticeable at all, at least to my palette. It isn't one of my favorite combinations at all though each item I do like separately just not a fan for the mixture really.