mash potato volunteers needed

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
25 years or so back.... misjudged the roast time on a chunk-o-beef. had the mashed potatoes all done up and roast was still way too rare.

chucked the potatoes in their serving (metal) bowl on the bottom of the oven shelf while the roast 'finished'

the peanut gallery proclaimed the mashed potatoes the best this side of Pluto. so I've been doing 'em like that since.

needed: mashing volunteers to test out this theory.

there's nothing magic about it, no secret ingredients, but that oven time does seem to make a real difference.

mashed potatoes:
russet potatoes is my choice.
peeled, boiled in salted water, drained, allow to 'air dry' aka steam off any surface wetness.
toss in a bowl, add 2-3 tbsp (unsalted) butter.
mash. now, I've done it with hand mixer and done it with a ricer, so takes your pick....
either way I prefer to start the mash without adding any extra liquid - get the potatoes broken down and smooth before adding the milk. the theory is to avoid making potato glue....too much mixing/mashing with added liquid makes for potato paste.
lightly salt, fresh ground white pepper, add milk and mash / mix for consistency. milk here is typically 1%.
put in oven proof serving bowl, use the back of a spoon / doohickey of choice to pat/create 'peaks' of mash if you want - depending on oven heat the peaks may color and make for pretty.
into oven - anywhere from 300-425F for roughly 10 minutes.

I'm not sure of the exact mechanism - a short "aging" time appears to make the mash more homogeneous and somehow 'creamier' -

mebets everyone has had rubber chicken and three day old mashed potatoes that have been kept too long - too long is not good.....

so the question is: is this a repeatable method and does is seem to make a difference?

any testers?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sure, I'm usually up for testing something!

I've got a ton of leftovers from the weekend to use up this week, but next chance I get to use the oven, I'll try to remember this!

Lee

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i'll test. my pals should apprecieate 'em. my wednesday shall be half-dedicated to potato. i shop on wednesdays--

Shermie

Site Supporter
25 years or so back.... misjudged the roast time on a chunk-o-beef. had the mashed potatoes all done up and roast was still way too rare.

chucked the potatoes in their serving (metal) bowl on the bottom of the oven shelf while the roast 'finished'

the peanut gallery proclaimed the mashed potatoes the best this side of Pluto. so I've been doing 'em like that since.

needed: mashing volunteers to test out this theory.

there's nothing magic about it, no secret ingredients, but that oven time does seem to make a real difference.

mashed potatoes:
russet potatoes is my choice.
peeled, boiled in salted water, drained, allow to 'air dry' aka steam off any surface wetness.
toss in a bowl, add 2-3 tbsp (unsalted) butter.
mash. now, I've done it with hand mixer and done it with a ricer, so takes your pick....
either way I prefer to start the mash without adding any extra liquid - get the potatoes broken down and smooth before adding the milk. the theory is to avoid making potato glue....too much mixing/mashing with added liquid makes for potato paste.
lightly salt, fresh ground white pepper, add milk and mash / mix for consistency. milk here is typically 1%.
put in oven proof serving bowl, use the back of a spoon / doohickey of choice to pat/create 'peaks' of mash if you want - depending on oven heat the peaks may color and make for pretty.
into oven - anywhere from 300-425F for roughly 10 minutes.

I'm not sure of the exact mechanism - a short "aging" time appears to make the mash more homogeneous and somehow 'creamier' -

mebets everyone has had rubber chicken and three day old mashed potatoes that have been kept too long - too long is not good.....

so the question is: is this a repeatable method and does is seem to make a difference?

any testers?

On the boiling part, first, after peeling the potatoes, I cut them into medium size chunks, then I fill the pot with just enough cold water to cover, add a little salt and then partially cover the pot.

I then set the timer on the microwave oven to pinpoint the time when I think the taters will start boiling. Once the boiling has begun, I let it go for a few seconds longer.

Then I turn off the burner, cover the pot completely and let the taters sit in the hot water for 15 to 20 minutes, give or take a few. The trapped steam and hot water finishes the job. After that, the taters are soft, perfectly cooked & not falling apart!

I then drain them, and once the hot water is off of them, I immediately place the taters into a large bowl, add the butter, milk, salt and a couple dashes of ground white pepper and mash them.

The bowl is usually a stainless steel one, so when done mashing and adjusting the seasonings, if needed, I cover the bowl and place it over a large pot of softly simmering water to keep it hot.

This method I was taught to do about 30-some-odd years ago, and it has been a proven winner every time! :piesmiley1::eating2:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, but Shermie, are you up for testing ChowderMan's technique????

Lee

Shermie

Site Supporter
I may try it.

Might be hard to deviate from my method though.

Last edited:

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
I have been "testing" this for about 35 years now. We make a batch of taters and mash then cover our home made Chinese pie with them and bake for an hour. The taters get just a little bit of crust to them which I love.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
actually it's important to not deviate from "your method" - the theory under test is whether 10-15 minutes of resting freshly mashed potatoes in the oven improves their taste/flavor/texture.

if you change up 'your method' it will be difficult to judge whether the oven rest makes a difference.

I included "my method" simply as reference to the 'no magic ingredient / etc' -

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Have let mashed potatoes sit in the warmer at times but never noticed a difference in them. Now with that said I make my mashed potatoes with more butter, less milk and some sour cream when I make them. I also use whole milk but little. Now as per spices the usual salt and white pepper. I've also used roasted garlic, shallots, home made onion dip in place sour cream etc. It really depends on what I'm serving them with. It also has a lot to do with the type of potatoes I use to make the mashed. I don't always just use russet potatoes, nor do I always want it creamy as some work better chunky in some cases.

Shermie

Site Supporter
actually it's important to not deviate from "your method" - the theory under test is whether 10-15 minutes of resting freshly mashed potatoes in the oven improves their taste/flavor/texture.

if you change up 'your method' it will be difficult to judge whether the oven rest makes a difference.

The only time that I've ever put mashed taters in the oven that I know of, is when I'm making Shepherds Pie.

As you may or may not know, the mashed taters are put on top of the meat mixture and is lightly browned (pictured below).

Which now gives me a craving for Shepherds Pie!! Darn!! I opened my big mouth!! Hah!! :eating2:

Attachments

• Shepherds-Pie.jpg
    Shepherds-Pie.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Have let mashed potatoes sit in the warmer at times but never noticed a difference in them. Now with that said I make my mashed potatoes with more butter, less milk and some sour cream when I make them. I also use whole milk but little. Now as per spices the usual salt and white pepper. I've also used roasted garlic, shallots, home made onion dip in place sour cream etc. It really depends on what I'm serving them with. It also has a lot to do with the type of potatoes I use to make the mashed. I don't always just use russet potatoes, nor do I always want it creamy as some work better chunky in some cases.

I've also heard that using light cream or half & half makes them creamier and a little richer.

I don't use that, on account I'm trying to lose some weight. Lowfat milk (1%) is good enough for me!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've also heard that using light cream or half & half makes them creamier and a little richer.

I don't use that, on account I'm trying to lose some weight. Lowfat milk (1%) is good enough for me!

I lucky in the weight regard since I've never had an overweight problem.

One of my favorite mashed potato recipes uses mashed sweet potato that I got from Food Network by Emeril Lagasse. I only use the orange cups for holidays but make it every couple of months in smaller amounts for just my wife and I.

Brandy and Orange-Mashed Sweet Potatoes in Orange Cups - Emeril Lagasse, 2001

Ingredients

7 large sweet potatoes, about 3 pounds
4 large oranges
1 stick unsalted butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
3 large eggs
3/4 cup fresh orange juice
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup brandy
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Place the potatoes on a baking sheet and bake until tender, about 1 hour. Remove from the oven and let rest until just cool enough to handle.

Lower the oven to 350 degrees F.

Make the orange cups by cutting the oranges in half and scooping out the pulp, leaving only the shell. Set aside.

While still somewhat hot, peel the potatoes and place in a large bowl. Discard the skins and tough, stringy fibers. Add the butter, and with an electric mixer, beat out the lumps. Add the sugar, eggs, orange juice, heavy cream, and brandy, and mix until smooth. Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt, and mix well. Re-season, to taste.

Spoon the sweet potato mixture into the orange cups, mounding and smoothing the top. Bake until puffed and slightly golden, about 20 minutes.

Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 40 min
Serves 8

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I'll be curious to hear the results.

'a change in things' with time and heat is not an unknown effect. but what & how that applies to 'mashed potatoes' is still escaping me.

so far as seeing the effect...
more fat / less fat
additives (cheese, onion family, etc)
1%, 2%, whole milk
milk vs cream
dilution - I've found overly thinned mashed potatoes "sponge up" more when heated / reheated, dunno....

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Okay, what you said there is important, ChowderMan: use your own recipe, but try resting the mashed potatoes in the oven before serving.

What would make a good side-by-side test?

a) Put half of the mashed potatoes in the oven for 15 minutes, while keeping the other half in the pot on top of the stove on low?

or

b) Serve the second half immediately, then taste the oven-rested potatoes in 15 minutes?

I'm asking because I make mashed potatoes so rarely that I think I'd need a side-by-side test to taste the difference!

Lee

Shermie

Site Supporter
I lucky in the weight regard since I've never had an overweight problem.

One of my favorite mashed potato recipes uses mashed sweet potato that I got from Food Network by Emeril Lagasse. I only use the orange cups for holidays but make it every couple of months in smaller amounts for just my wife and I.

Brandy and Orange-Mashed Sweet Potatoes in Orange Cups - Emeril Lagasse, 2001

Ingredients

7 large sweet potatoes, about 3 pounds
4 large oranges
1 stick unsalted butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
3 large eggs
3/4 cup fresh orange juice
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup brandy
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Place the potatoes on a baking sheet and bake until tender, about 1 hour. Remove from the oven and let rest until just cool enough to handle.

Lower the oven to 350 degrees F.

Make the orange cups by cutting the oranges in half and scooping out the pulp, leaving only the shell. Set aside.

While still somewhat hot, peel the potatoes and place in a large bowl. Discard the skins and tough, stringy fibers. Add the butter, and with an electric mixer, beat out the lumps. Add the sugar, eggs, orange juice, heavy cream, and brandy, and mix until smooth. Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt, and mix well. Re-season, to taste.

Spoon the sweet potato mixture into the orange cups, mounding and smoothing the top. Bake until puffed and slightly golden, about 20 minutes.

Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 40 min
Serves 8

Thanks, joec.

Speaking of mashed sweet taters, I took my two grand nephews when they were here to a BBQ restaurant.

We all had an appetizer and then the main course.

One of the side dishes that I chose was the Sweet Potato Pudding. I've been getting this for some time now, but when we were there, I found out that they had dropped the ball on this side dish!!

It was normally good, but when I had it this last time, I noticed a lump of stringy mass in my mouth that had grossed me out!! I had spit it out onto the plate!! Needless to say, that when I did that, it grossed out one of my nephews!!

I apologized to him for having done that, but I will never order that order that side dish again, not there!!

At home when I mash sweet potatoes, I rice them beforehand, to get out the stringy matter. One of my worst pet peeves is stringy sweet potatoes in ANY form!! :eating2: :mad:

Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks, joec.

Speaking of mashed sweet taters, I took my two grand nephews when they were here to a BBQ restaurant.

We all had an appetizer and then the main course.

One of the side dishes that I chose was the Sweet Potato Pudding. I've been getting this for some time now, but when we were there, I found out that they had dropped the ball on this side dish!!

It was normally good, but when I had it this last time, I noticed a lump of stringy mass in my mouth that had grossed me out!! I had spit it out onto the plate!! Needless to say, that when I did that, it grossed out one of my nephews!!

I apologized to him for having done that, but I will never order that order that side dish again, not there!!

At home when I mash sweet potatoes, I rice them beforehand, to get out the stringy matter. One of my worst pet peeves is stringy sweet potatoes in ANY form!! :eating2: :mad:

I use a food processor and transfer the potatoes to a Kitchen-Aid to mix it with the rest of the ingredients. Sweet Potatoes are fibrous though and need extra preparation sometimes to make them smooth.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>What would make a good side-by-side test?

that is the billion tater question. to which I don't have a good answer.

will mashed kept on the counter for 15-20 minutes do 'same' as mashed 'tempered' in a hot oven for 15-20 minutes? dunno.

I think it comes down to chuck it in a hot oven and see if it makes a difference from 'ye olde memories'

I have to say, my DW will challenge me every time I cheat and don't 'temper the tots' - ala "Did you make these like before?"

perhaps the difference is not entirely un-subtle?

Shermie

Site Supporter
I use a food processor and transfer the potatoes to a Kitchen-Aid to mix it with the rest of the ingredients. Sweet Potatoes are fibrous though and need extra preparation sometimes to make them smooth.

One of the mounting brackets came off the ricer the last time that I used it.

I've been looking for another one, or have considered other options for the next time that I need one.

But I MUST get one, because I don't want stringy sweet potato pie, nor will I ever tolerate stringy mashed sweet taters at all!! :yuk: :ohmy: :mad:

Shermie

Site Supporter
for a ricer, look at CuisiPro - sturdy, comes with three plates/hole sizes....

Do you have a pic of what it looks like?

I know that KA has a veggie / fruit strainer attachment available for use with their stand mixers, which might work.

It is used for soft things. But it might be too expensive. But I need one that won't make too much of a mess though. And I'll have to have it before or by the next time that I want to make sweet tater pies. :piesmiley1::eating2:

Shermie

Site Supporter

I used to just mash them and then add the rest of the ingredients to them. But what was happening was that all that stringy matter was coming onto the beater!!

Then some of it would slide off and go back into the mixture! Gross!!! I learned to remove all that stringy matter them from an old friend who used to do that years ago. He didn't like that crap in his sweet tater pies either. :piesmiley1: :eating2:

Shermie

Site Supporter
And it is usually at the narrower pointed end of the sweet taters or yams where you'll find all that stringy matter.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
check this link:
https://kissthecookonline.com/shop/cusipro-potato-ricer/

I have had three ricers over the years. they all "failed" - handles bent, weld spots broke off, etc etc.

the Cuisipro I've had for 10+ years - no complaints.

I often don't peel potatoes for mashed - wash / cut / boil - then into the ricer. the skins stick to the plunger - just wipe 'em off with a finger. note however, using the plate with the biggest holes, some shreds of skins may go thru. 'specs in the mashed' is not a problem here but ymmv.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I have one like that, and I've used it many times.

But I was looking for something larger - something that will accommodate more potatoes at a time.

Thanks anyway.