Accidental Cooking Cuts

Wasn't sure where to put this, but what do you folks do when you cut yourselves? Yes - I know that that sounds stupid, but really - what do you do?

Just sliced the heel of of my palm while washing a serrated bread knife, & I can't get the damn thing to stop bleeding. I'm not going to die or anything - it's not a deep cut - but would just like to get it to stop bleeding. Am compressing it with paper towels, yadayadayada. Any other advice?

GotGarlic

Tight pressure for several minutes should stop the bleeding. Don't remove the towels if they soak through - just add more. Removing them can break the clot. If it doesn't stop after 10-15 minutes, I'd go to an urgent care center. I hope it's better by now.

Leni

Ice also works. Put it in a paper towel or wash cloth. The cold causes the blood vessels to constrict. Do not apply ice directly to the wound. Other than that GotGarlic is correct.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Direct pressure is usually best regardless of size of wound. Then depending on servility from stitches to a band aid cover it after cleaning it good.

A tip in the future on cleaning knives in a sink. Place the side of the blade against the side of the sink edge side down, wash then the other side same way. When drying from the back side of the knife. It won't stop it always but will minimize the risk.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I first let it bleed well to flush out forign matter. Then rises under tap water and let bleed a bit more.

I use finger pressure as paper towel can tend to wick out more blood. Anyway direct pressure is the ticket. I have also been known to pour rubbing alcohol or peroxide over it. When the bleeding has stopped for a while a bandage to keep it closed.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Update, Breezy?

You okay? Did you need stitches?

Lee

Leni

Agreed. It is always best to avoid the problem in the first place. Then there are those times when you are in a hurry or your mind is elsewhere. Pressure is the best way.

Update, Breezy?

You okay? Did you need stitches?

Lee

No stitches. Of course, who knows what the ER would've done if I'd gone, which I didn't - lol! It hurts a bit, but has closed up. Will just have to keep an eye on it for a few days to make sure it doesn't get infected.

I haven't cut myself with a knife since 1994 when I used an oyster knife to pry out some of those little Xmas light bulbs from their sockets & nearly took my thumb off. Usually I'm extremely careful with sharp objects. My mind must have been elsewhere. Oh well - 2 cases of knife stupidity in over a decade isn't too bad - lol!

Again - thanks guys for all the advice. I just couldn't get the darn thing to stop bleeding. With all the gauze & paper towels littering the bathroom, it looked like a scene from a bad horror flick.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Glad you are doing well. Wow! Do I ever understand about the emergency room. I got a pretty bad cut in the shop, I did the things that you did and the things discussed here. After I stopped the bleeding, I could have put a band aid over it and been fine. I decided to go to the ER as I had not had a Tetanus shot in a while. I walked out four hours later with six stitches and an tetanus shot. The ER nurse even complimented me on my dressing. The stitches were probably unnecessary. I certainly could have used the time I lost.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Glad you are doing well. Wow! Do I ever understand about the emergency room. I got a pretty bad cut in the shop, I did the things that you did and the things discussed here. After I stopped the bleeding, I could have put a band aid over it and been fine. I decided to go to the ER as I had not had a Tetanus shot in a while. I walked out four hours later with six stitches and an tetanus shot. The ER nurse even complimented me on my dressing. The stitches were probably unnecessary. I certainly could have used the time I lost.

Wait till you get the bill, be sure you are sitting when you open it. :sad:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
It happened a while ago. You are right, it was a doozie. Like I said, except for the tetanus I would have stayed home.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
It happened a while ago. You are right, it was a doozie. Like I said, except for the tetanus I would have stayed home.

I got cut moving a few years ago. My son who is a doctor was helping me on his day off. Well he took me over to the hospital he worked at and he stitched it up and gave me the tenuous shot. No others involved but I got a bill for $800 from the hospital and every thing came out of his personal bag too nothing of their used other than a place for him to wash and stitch up my arm. He took care of it since it was his fault I got cut and I paid to help put him through collage too. :wink:

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I was reading this thread, not paying attention to what I was doing, and....

FingerFood.jpg

LETHAL GTS

Now that I have accumulated a few really good knives and I cook at home and at my girlfriends.
I decided to buy a knife bag so that I can safely transport my knives with me.
Well last week Monday I reached into that bag to get my yanagi knife.
In the process the tip of my pinky came in contact with Gyuto and sliced the tip right off.
I had spent a few hours the night before sharpening my most used knives and I must have done a pretty good job because I hardly felt it, but the blood was unreal.
I couldn't even get a band aid on my finger because it was bleeding so much.
Finally once I got my pinky wrapped in paper towel and applied pressure by making a fist I was able to go back and clean up my knife bag and knives.
But when I pulled my gyuto out to clean it, I flipped it over and there was the end of my pinky stuck to the side of my knife.
It was kinda creepy, but it proved how a well sharpened knife makes a very nice clean cut.
I'm fortunate, because I heal pretty fast and the tip of my finger is pretty much healed.
Next time I will take extra care and caution when I pull a knife out.
I think what hurt the most was my girlfriend laughing at me :applause:

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Well last week Monday I reached into that bag to get my yanagi knife.
In the process the tip of my pinky came in contact with Gyuto and sliced the tip right off.

Isn't it cool how with a truly sharp knife you know that cut has been made but you just barely felt it. :yum:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
well that's good!
i toss many knives into drawers, 'cept keep the better ones in knife bags & to keep 'em sharp & undamaged, sheaths on.