AeroGarden tips

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I found an AeroGarden at a yard sale yesterday for $10. I went online and printed the manual, so now I'm going to buy the seed pods. I was thinking about cherry tomatoes and/or basil.

Does anyone have one of these? (I think JoeC mentioned having one.) Are some things easier to grow than others? I am a complete novice with a brown thumb so any tips or hints would be greatly appreciated.

buckytom

Grill Master
i have one, but it's still in it's box now for 2 years. i haven't had time to mess around with it.

i do know that, depending on it's use, you'll need to replace the lamps.

oh, when you find out, lemme know how the cannabis seeds do in it...

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes I have two of them. I grow herbs such as basil (several kinds), flat lief parsley, thyme, tarragon, dill, marjoram, oregano, and chives year around in mine. Easy to setup and use being about fool proof as you can get. No major tips just follow the instructions is all.

I've never tried the pepper or tomatos but might one of these years but those things I grow in pots in my garden window as well as keep both of my Aero Gardens there. I also grow cat nip for protection to keep my cats from munching on the herbs, they go straight to the cat nip leaving the other stuff alone.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Thanks, Joe. I hadn't seen the catnip pods but that's a great tip because my cats will definitely be interested in the aerogarden.

BT, I'll get back with you on the other thing.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Oh I grow the cat nip in a pot beside it as I've never seen pods for it at all. At any rate the cats go for it and ignore the rest. As a side note they are a lot of fun once they drug up on the stuff too. My cats all love to sleep during the day in the garden window also.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Oh I grow the cat nip in a pot beside it as I've never seen pods for it at all. At any rate the cats go for it and ignore the rest. As a side note they are a lot of fun once they drug up on the stuff too. My cats all love to sleep during the day in the garden window also.
LOL!!! My cats love the dried catnip I buy for them, and I've heard the fresh stuff is even stronger. The dry stuff makes my cats roll around and make noises like a cat in heat (even tho they are males).

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Well I have two females and two males all are fixed. They actually pair up and go through they motions which can be a bit entertaining too. I might add they aren't particular about which one they are with either. Male to male, female to female or male to female.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
............. and the other "experiment" was a bust, buckaroo !
(well; not a "Bust", but a failure)

dansdiamond

Food Sound Eng.
Gold Site Supporter
Really? A total failure??? Damn, $10 down the drain.
Don't throw it away. They work! I bought Lucky and Sharon one for a Christmas present a few yearws ago. Price new is $150. You got a deal.
The pods are a little pricey too. If you have a nice spot, convienient to the kitchen, they are great. You just need to take care of it. Mine turned into a jungle as well! They are fantastic if you don't have a yard. Or- If you want fresh herbs in the winter.
:chef:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have gotten seeds at Bed, Bath and Beyond also. The same price as the mail order minus the shipping but you pay the tax.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I have gotten seeds at Bed, Bath and Beyond also. The same price as the mail order minus the shipping but you pay the tax.
Thanks, joe. I'm excited about trying this plus it will be a cool thing for Fisher to do with me.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I actually got my last seeds from the Lexington Kentucky store. They have them all in stock at the moment here. Now I got mine from them after the first batch from the AeroGarden Site when I purchased them through the catalog they sent me. I have enough seed now for a couple of years I think.

dansdiamond

Food Sound Eng.
Gold Site Supporter
I actually got my last seeds from the Lexington Kentucky store. They have them all in stock at the moment here. Now I got mine from them after the first batch from the AeroGarden Site when I purchased them through the catalog they sent me. I have enough seed now for a couple of years I think.
Have you tried the tomato ones yet Joec?
They really look dynamite.!:lucky:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
No I haven't tried them at all in the AeroGarden. They grow pretty good in the yard this time a year for us.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
......new Herbs coming in...............

368708250.jpg

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
I have your jungle pic somewhere;
I'll see if I can turn it up....................

Nope ! Buried too deep !

Last edited:
I got one last december. Being and avid gardener i had my doubts, thinking that the commercials made it look better than it actually would be. But, to my surprise, it work/ works great. I think its perfect for herbs. The good thing about the herbs ( basil, parsley, dill, mint, chives...) is that u can cut a little each time u cook and it will continue to grow and provide u with more over a long period of time. Also, it was read to be picked in a matter of weeks. The lettuce worked well also, but not as many pickings. The tomatoes, grew well also, but in my opinion, it takes too long before you get a tomato, and I just didnt have the patience, so i wound up just replanting the plants outside in pots. I prefer the Herbs.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I got one last december. Being and avid gardener i had my doubts, thinking that the commercials made it look better than it actually would be. But, to my surprise, it work/ works great. I think its perfect for herbs. The good thing about the herbs ( basil, parsley, dill, mint, chives...) is that u can cut a little each time u cook and it will continue to grow and provide u with more over a long period of time. Also, it was read to be picked in a matter of weeks. The lettuce worked well also, but not as many pickings. The tomatoes, grew well also, but in my opinion, it takes too long before you get a tomato, and I just didnt have the patience, so i wound up just replanting the plants outside in pots. I prefer the Herbs.
Thanks, Larry! Your recommendations were pretty much echoed by the reviews I read on Amazon, too. And we go though so may tomatoes that I don't think I could get enough out of that few plants. So I ordered the basil and the herbs seed kits. I'm so excited. They should be here tomorrow. BTW, have you had to replace the grow light bulbs yet? How can you tell when they need replacing?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks, Larry! Your recommendations were pretty much echoed by the reviews I read on Amazon, too. And we go though so may tomatoes that I don't think I could get enough out of that few plants. So I ordered the basil and the herbs seed kits. I'm so excited. They should be here tomorrow. BTW, have you had to replace the grow light bulbs yet? How can you tell when they need replacing?

They stop working like any other light. :mrgreen:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Oh crap - is that true? Cuz I could have figured that out! I just noticed people saying you should replace them after 6 mos. of continuous use because they stop working as well. Nobody said "the lights go out"!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'm really just guessing here as mine are still working with one about 8 months old now though the second one is about 3 months old. I just assumed they burned out like other heat lamps and such.