Help! What did I do wrong??

Deelady

I just planted two new rose bushes this week in the yard and one looks likke it is dying! Some bottom leaves have started to turn yellow and some top leaves/stems are brittle and dried out! The soil had several worms in it so I know its good soil and I have watered it daily since I planted it.....what could I have done wrong and any ideas on how I can fix it before its too late????:sad::cry::cry:

Please help me!!

PanchoHambre

Dee wish I could help... I kill everything.

Could just be the bush... especially if it's just one of the two.

one thought is that you gave it too much water and it got "wet feet"

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I put a new hedge in about 2 years ago now. I had 8 evergreen type bushes and one refuses to do anything but die. All are about 2' apart and for the life of me the soil is the same. We have planted a new one now for the 3rd time today, however this time I tried something new. I dug up all the soil around it and put down fresh soil before planting it. Now we will wait an see. I've seen this before but have no idea as to way this happens other than something be it weed killer or some other chemical gets spilled etc killing a small section of soil.

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
when you planted it, did you build a hump for the roots to sit on? Did you add feed to the soil and did you keep from putting too much soil back in the hole so that it didn't go too far up the on the bush?

i will ask the husband as he is the revivor here.

Deelady

Ummm I made it just deep enough to reach slightly below the soil from the pot it was in and before readding the soil I took out of the ground I mixed in miricle grow potting soil. I didnt add back ALL the soil I took out of the ground but just spread any excess near the bush.
Should I have packed the soil after planting it? Because I did more so to the first bush I planted but not as much to this one....?

When I was digging the hole I did notice the earth was much harder to dig and had many rocks.....but it did still have many earth worms....

Mr. Green Jeans

Dee, the first thing to look at is water. If you planted a container grown plant, it will still need watering like it was a container until it sends out roots into the soil. Since your weather is warming up, they may need a good watering 3x/week for about 4 - 6 weeks.
Also, if you bought the plant from a local garden canter ther should be a guarantee.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
We planted roses a couple years ago, and while most took off fine, there was one that looked dead as a doornail. The next year it sprang to life like there was never any problem at all!

Deelady

Dee, the first thing to look at is water. If you planted a container grown plant, it will still need watering like it was a container until it sends out roots into the soil. Since your weather is warming up, they may need a good watering 3x/week for about 4 - 6 weeks.
Also, if you bought the plant from a local garden canter ther should be a guarantee.

It looked as healthy as can be when I bought it and even has several buds on it, that is why I thought I did something wrong when planting it.
I water it early evening and have every night since I planted it (save maybe one night) the water absorbes relatively fast so I dont think it has a drainage problem.

Thanks everyone for your input....I'll take pics tomorrow to see if that might help .

chowhound

I had a small bush that I was having problems with like you describe. Being a relatively lazy person and having hard soil, I tend to dig the holes barely big enough to get the plant into, which makes packing the dirt back in around it difficult to get just right. What had happened with this bush is the soil had fallen away, or moved away from the rootball. I may as well have just stuck the container into the ground. It was in need of much more water than the other plants were getting until I found the problem.

Deelady

ok I took some pics of them this morning...

Attachments

• camping 244.jpg
    camping 244.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 134
  • camping 251.jpg
    camping 251.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 137
  • camping 250.jpg
    camping 250.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 135

Lefty

Yank
I think you should be looking at what to feed them.

Here is some information I found on another site.

Step 2: Selecting Fertilizers --What to Use

Our list of recommended fertilizers includes:

1. An all-purpose, granular, natural-based or organic fertilizer with a balanced nutrient ratio in the single digits. This fertilizer provides the basic NPK necessary for plant growth and bloom. There are many acceptable brands available.
  2. Bone meal or rock phosphate. Provides phosphorus, which helps promote blooms and root growth.
  3. Fish/kelp liquid fertilizer. Fish provides a nitrogen source and kelp adds necessary trace minerals.
  4. Alfalfa (meal, pellets or tea). Alfalfa contains triconatol, which promotes plant growth. Alfalfa also conditions the soil.
  5. Epsom salts (magnesium sulphate). Promotes enzyme activity in the soil, and vigorous growth. Can also green up leaves.
  6. Compost. Feeds the soil by adding organic matter and basic nutrients, which in turn improves the soil and feeds soil life. Healthy soil makes for healthy plants.
What Type of Fertilizer You Should Not Use:
One fertilizer that we absolutely do not recommend is liquid chemical fertilizers like Miracle Gro -- particularly on Rugosa roses. If you do, you stand a very good chance of burning up the plant. Rugosas are the toughest roses we grow, but they just can't handle the high nitrogen and chemicals salts in Miracle Grow type fertilizers. If you don't believe us, just go ahead and apply it to the leaves or around the base of a Rugosa plant. You won't have to wait more than a day before the leaves turn yellow and crispy. Then, you'll believe us and start using compost instead.

Here is the link so you can see the full article.

http://www.springvalleyroses.com/inthegarden/fertilizing.html

Good luck.

Deelady

Heres one of my other bushes that IS doing good!:clap:

Attachments

• camping 246.jpg
    camping 246.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 137
  • camping 248.jpg
    camping 248.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 139
  • camping 247.jpg
    camping 247.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 136

Deelady

I used the potting soil of miracle grow not the liquid....do you think that would make a difference? I have used it on my other flowers and roses and never saw any ill affect...?

Lefty

Yank
I used the potting soil of miracle grow not the liquid....do you think that would make a difference? I have used it on my other flowers and roses and never saw any ill affect...?
I am not sure, I don't grow roses. I do flowers that com from bulbs. I have heard from friend that some varieties of roses are tougher to grow than others.

Deelady

I am not sure, I don't grow roses. I do flowers that com from bulbs. I have heard from friend that some varieties of roses are tougher to grow than others.

I know its not a bulb but happen to know anything on Hydrangeas?? I'm having a hard time finding useful info on that as well!:unsure:

GotGarlic

I would take some of those yellowed leaves, and the ones with the holes, to the garden center where you bought the roses and see if there might be some kind of critter or disease problem.

Deelady

I found a websight for the peoplle who I believe bred the roses "Weeks Roses" and wrote a letter I received a reply just now with some suggestions so I will try what they said and hope for the best.....This is what they said.

"Hi, Deanna:

I think a couple of things are happening. First, the yellow leaves at the bottom of the plant, and some of the green leaves with black spots on them indicate an infection of blackspot, a common rose disease. This is not your fault-- blackspot can be damaging the plant long before it's visible.

Second, either the soil in the pots, before you transplanted, was allowed to dry out at some point-- perhaps between the time you bought the plants and the time you planted them-- or you damaged the fragile feeder roots when you transplanted.

I'm going to ask you to do a couple of things that will be painful for you, but it will save your new plants.

Pull off all the yellow leaves at the base of the plants, and any leaves with black spots. Put the infected leaves in the trash-- don't leave them in the garden.

Use you hose and flood those planting holes-- water deeply and thoroughly. That will get rid of any big air pockets around the roots. If the soil settles any lower than it was before the watering, add some more soil to the hole and water it again.

Now, here's the painful part. If the feeder roots are indeed damaged, they won't be able to support the top growth-- that's why it's wilting. So if the wilted leaves and buds don't perk up within 24 hours of that deep watering, I want you to cut off everything that's wilted, plus a little more. Roses love to be pruned, so you're not hurting anything, just delaying the bloom time a little. So prune off everything that doesn't look healthy and strong. On Hot Cocoa, prune back to 3 or 4 inches below the wilted buds or flowers, and on the About Face, cut the stems 6-8 inches below the bud.

The plants will start to grow new feeder roots, and strong new top growth will start. There'll be healthy new buds and flowers on every new stem that grows. Cutting back now, Deanna, will save the plants and they'll give you terrific flowers for all the rest of the summer and for years to come! Just do it, baby!

Keep the soil constantly moist, but not soggy. Roses like lots of water, but they don't like soggy soil. Don't fertilize for a month, but after that, when the plants are growing strongly, you can fertilize once every week or two with a liquid or water-soluble fertilizer formulated specifically for roses.

One more thing: At your garden center, buy a good rose fungicide. Get Ortho Rose Pride Orthenex in an aerosol can, and spray all parts of the plants-- including the undersides of the leaves-- once every 10 days. This will get rid of the blackspot and keep bugs and mites off the plants, too. You'll be the envy of the neighborhood.

By the way, you made great choices with Hot Cocoa and About Face!

Through the summer, kiddo, cut long stems when you cut flowers or when you deadhead the spent blooms, so the new stems that grow will be fat enough to support a big flower at the top. You'll see! It works great.

Good luck, Deanna! Let me know what happens!"

Deelady

No I found the tags from when I bought the roses and did a search for the company who grows the roses. I found a link to ask an expert.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
in my own replanting experiences, the biggest problem i see with my plants is stress from transplanting... they always bounce back but the first little while they look sickly

Mr. Green Jeans

Dee,

I appears your roses have a tinge of black spot BUT THEY WILL BE FINE! Diseases are something that have to be proactively managed. The triangle; host > environment > pathogen needs to be broken. This can be accomplished by: not over fertilizing use the organics recommended(Espoma is great stuff), water in the am so the foliage can dry (night time is bad). Late fall after all leaf drop has occurred, remove all if possible this is where black spot spores lie in waiting until next spring.

Mike

Deelady

Dee,

I appears your roses have a tinge of black spot BUT THEY WILL BE FINE! Diseases are something that have to be proactively managed. The triangle; host > environment > pathogen needs to be broken. This can be accomplished by: not over fertilizing use the organics recommended(Espoma is great stuff), water in the am so the foliage can dry (night time is bad). Late fall after all leaf drop has occurred, remove all if possible this is where black spot spores lie in waiting until next spring.

Mike

Thank you I'll keep an eye on them....for now I did as the lady suggested and removed ALL the leaves and stems that were discolored at all and discarded them.

How do you apply the epson salt? And do you just buy the one at the drug store?

Thank you :)

Deelady

in my own replanting experiences, the biggest problem i see with my plants is stress from transplanting... they always bounce back but the first little while they look sickly

But I was very gentle and gave them a nice back rub! :)

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
But I was very gentle and gave them a nice back rub! :)

silly girl..lol

as far as epson salts, i dont know about roses but i know i use them for my hot pepper plants...dilute in water is the way i do it.. i go with 1 tablespoon of epson salt to one gallon of water/weekly... i will spritz and water directly

Mr. Green Jeans

How do you apply the epson salt? And do you just buy the one at the drug store?

Thank you :)[/QUOTE]

Dee, that is the same stuff. It contains magnesium and sulphur whic are essential plant micro-nutrients. A word of caution, it is a slat and salts in excess can kill plants. The recommendation is 1 tablespoon per foot height of the plant and water in afterward. You have good old clay soils in Ohiya which are very good at holding on to nutrients. I would make 2 applications a month apart and see what happens. In Ohio you do not want to do any fertilizer treatment on roses after August 1. They need to coast and harden off in preparation for winter.

The porbable cause of your leaf spot problem is the nursery/garden center cutlure they were grown in. Most can crops are irrigated via overhead watering. They are also packed in large groups. Moisture + poor air circulation create the opportune environment for disease to set in. Now that your plants are in the wide open spaces and you are careful not to water the foliage, they will grow out of it.

We grow about 250,000 roses here. In about 7 - 10 days they'll be blooming. I'll post a pic.

Mike