Do you make cornbread?

PanchoHambre

I use the recipe on the Arrowhead bag and it comes great.... once I found this out the mystery of why cornbread in the North is usually so nasty just increased

CI is key

leolady

I don't know about that!

Mom and I made great cornbread with or without cast iron. And without the southern staple white lily cornmeal. And yes 2 eggs per batch is needed to make the bread rise.

I'm a soul food cook, so what do I know about cornbread......

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Well good for you leolady! But I don't think anyone said you can't make good cornbread without cast iron or using a different brand of cornmeal. Personally, I think the BEST cornbread is made with White Lily in a cast iron pan with 2 eggs. I'm a southern cook and that's my personal opinion.

leolady

I bow to the "champ". Of course you are "the authority" dispite generations of my family baking cornbread.

How could I know what the "best cornbread" tastes like?

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
99% of the time I don't use CI for making cornbread because I have always had young children in the kitchen with me and that CI gets so hot in the oven and take quite a while to cool down. I'm scared to death one of them will get burned. (Also, in my younger days, I was cooking au naturale and burned my hip on the handle of a skillet full of cornbread.) So, I use a regular baking pan most of the time and it tastes very good. The biggest difference I see is that the crust is different (and, IMO, better) when made in a CI skillet.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Mama - Leolady

Now how about some nice cornbread (LOL) It's fresh from the oven.

Andy

Attachments

• Cornbread.jpg
    Cornbread.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 123

leolady

That does look good!

My family always uses bacon grease to make cornbread. Yah gotta love that flavor

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Why Thank You Andy! And Thank You Leolady!

And Leolady apparently you are misunderstanding me...what I'm trying to say is that it is a matter of personal preference. I like the crispy crust that cast iron gives it so I use cast iron. I too like the taste that the bacon grease gives it so I use bacon grease. I have tried other brands of cornmeal and I prefer White Lily. I'm sure your preferences are different than mine and that's quite okay. Shoot you may even like sugar in yours and that's quite okay with me too! I was only stating my personal preference.

Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
You know it is funny really but I never liked corn bread for some reason. My grand mother used to make it and so does my wife but for some reason I will eat it but would much rather an artisan bread to it.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Leolady - I must tell you that pne fo my culinary disapointments is the soul food meal that i was once promised that I did not get.

It was promised by a special person and we did not get a chance tomake it happen.

Andy

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I love cornbread DW thinks that it is blah. I would give most anything to live down south, I think that is where I was born to live. Anyway I will make it soon FOR ME. I don't think that White Lilly flout is available in Yankee Doodle land. I will make do with Goya.

Andy

joec

Gold Site Supporter
In my case I agree with your DW and I was born as far south as you can just about get in the US. I just never cared for it that much though I've sure eaten a lot of it using several recipes I'm sure. It is kind of bland to me too.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
JoeC - Cornbread is an institution. transcends the taste of the actual food. It is the spirit of shareing and frinedship.

I love the south for the people and the lifestyle. Unfortuantely, my living is in NYC.

Andy

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
JoeC - Cornbread is an institution. transcends the taste of the actual food. It is the spirit of shareing and frinedship.

I love the south for the people and the lifestyle. Unfortuantely, my living is in NYC.

Andy
Sugar, anytime you feel like wandering down south, you just come to my house and I'd be delighted to offer you a double-helping of southern hospitality. I just love a man who appreciates the south!!!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Sugar, anytime you feel like wandering down south, you just come to my house and I'd be delighted to offer you a double-helping of southern hospitality. I just love a man who appreciates the south!!!

If he can get down here, me, you, and Mama will all meet at your beach house. I’ll smoke the ribs and brisket, Mama does the cornbread and some sides, you make that scallop dish you did a while back, and we’ll all play bartender. Let’s do this!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, now that Joe and Adillo have broken the "blah" barrier, I feel more comfortable saying this without ducking: I don't like cornbread.

Never did. I always saw it as a waste of calories and stomach space, before the main event (usually, ribs). Too crumbly, too. I mean, why bother?

However, I DO love my friend Ray Lampe (DrBBQ)'s Cornbread Casserole. It's in his first book [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Dr-BBQs-Big-Time-Barbecue-Cookbook/dp/0312339798[/ame] but it's also posted on the internet, so I guess it's okay to post here.

Now THIS is delicious! (IMO)

Lee

DrBBQ’s Corn Bread Casserole

This is a side dish that is a cross between corn bread and a corn souffle.
You can also eat this as a leftover for breakfast....just heat it up and serve with some maple syrup!

3 large eggs, beaten
1 1/4 cups milk
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, melted
1 1/4 cups yellow corn meal
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons salt
2 cans creamed corn

Mix together eggs, milk and butter.

Blend in corn meal, baking soda, baking powder and salt.

Mix in creamed corn.

Spray 9 x 13-inch baking dish and pour in.

Bake at 375 degrees F for 45 minutes.

Tickle Me Elmo

I'll apologize in the beginning for admitting to not reading through this whole thread. However, we do make cornbread in our house and often.

Having said that, we have probably a dozen or more recipes. Everything from cornbread made with creamed corn, to jalapenos, to chopped green onions, to crumbled bacon, sugar/no sugar, sour cream, Cheddar/Monterey Jack cheese, to.... The list goes on. Just depends on the mood we're in and the dish it accompanies.

There is no allowance and that is, it is always cooked in cast iron.

Edit to add: There's nothing like cornbread stuffing.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I can understand people not liking cornbread, especially if you didn’t get your salt right. It’s not for everyone! That’s what makes the world go round!!

Believe it or not, I’m from the South and HATE creamed corn. It’s nasty! Looks like snot and tastes like corn that was eaten once! Can’t do it.

I’ll admit that if you use it in a savory dish like stew where it is allowed to dissolve and totally become something other than the snot it was, then it’s ok as a flavor additive.

For real corn, lets grill it in the husk!!!

I don’t like cauliflower either. Nasty, bland, pig brain looking stuff.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Believe it or not, I’m from the South and HATE creamed corn. It’s nasty! Looks like snot and tastes like corn that was eaten once! Can’t do it.

LOL, God, Keltin!

I have another friend who loves to eat everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, EXCEPT creamed corn. Same reason as you.

Sigh.

Lee

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
LOL, God, Keltin!

I have another friend who loves to eat everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, EXCEPT creamed corn. Same reason as you.

Sigh.

Lee

I really don't know what it is. I CAN cook with it in a stew......but in other things, and especially plain! NOOOOOOO!!!!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I don't mind creamed corn...but boiled okra...now that's nasty!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Now I like okra myself, however collard greens I abhor just plan nasty tasting too me and I love most vegetables even as a kid. I don't like egg plant either but my wife does as well as collard greens and chicken none of which I will touch.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I love fried okra and okra in soups and stews but can't stand the boiled slimy stuff.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I love fried okra and okra in soups and stews but can't stand the boiled slimy stuff.

Yes Ma'am! Fried is awesome. A meal by itself! :yum:

Cooked in Gumbo or stew! Yes!!! But plain boiled Okra is Ghost Buster material! Too slimy and gross.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Fried is my favorite too!

Attachments

• friedokrarecipe.jpg
    friedokrarecipe.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 146

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Now I could do a few pounds of fried ocra for sure. Just love the stuff regardless.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
If he can get down here, me, you, and Mama will all meet at your beach house. I’ll smoke the ribs and brisket, Mama does the cornbread and some sides, you make that scallop dish you did a while back, and we’ll all play bartender. Let’s do this!
Oh, Hell Yeah!!! That would be some kinda party!

I guess my non-southern side comes out when we're talkin' creamed corn and okra. Blech! I just can't eat either one of them. Corn on the cob is probably my favorite veg but never, ever creamed. And okra??? That slimy stuff is something I just can't get past. I know it's not supposed to be slimy when it's fried but I also know it was slimy before it got fried and that's enough to keep me from eating it.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Really.....try it fried. Southern Popcorn as Mama says! But WAY better than any popcorn I ever had. It rocks!!