Garden : What have you picked?

heb1976

I have been so excited at how well my garden is growing - I thought I would start a thread so we can share.

These pics are over a 5 day span. Everyday there is something else and I am loving it. I have 2 yellow squash, 5 cucumbers, 22 jalapenos, 5 sweet peppers, 17 banana peppers, 1/2 bag of green beans, 1/2 a bag of peas, 3 cherry tomatoes, 3 cauliflower heads, 2 zucchini, 1 broccoli head and 8 chutes in the fridge / freezer so far.

I have a ton of cherry tomatoes getting ready to turn, celebrities getting pretty big, and about 30 green peppers that have just a couple more days til I can pick them.

What about you??

Attachments

• Dscn0049.jpg
    Dscn0049.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 278
  • Dscn0050.jpg
    Dscn0050.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 271
  • Dscn0051.jpg
    Dscn0051.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 268

smoke king

Banned
Great idea for a thread! Sadly, my garden has not been so fortunate. I lost all of my hot peppers and bell peppers early on (well, they're not all dead yet, but the ones that are hanging on are at seedling size) and the eggplant I tried for the first time is now gone too. I suspect rabbits had a hand (paw?) in this..........

The upside is that my Tomatoes are thriving, having picked any yet, but very soon for sure, and I've got more cucumbers than I know what to do with! Also, I've got lots and lots of Dill, Chives, Sweet Basil and Arugala from my very first time herb garden, so its not a total loss!

Oh, and regarding your pictures-I'm jealous-it all looks great Heather!

heb1976

thanks SK ... i can barely walk in my garden right now. the squash, zucchini and cucumbers have taken over. i had a cucumber with my salad at dinner last night and man was it tasty. i love the ones i grow.

buckytom

Grill Master
good haul you two.

i got my garden in late this year and it's been very cool and wet, so it seems like everything is takin' it's sweet time,

i have taken in a few pints of nice, peppery radishes, and tons of romaine, black seeded simpson, and some kale. most of my arrugula was a little too bitter; not sure why, so i pulled it.

we've gotten about a dozen yellow cherry tomatoes, and the same in small cubanelle peppers, and just a couple of snap and snow peas. and a few of the tiniest baby carrots.

i'll take pics this week.

homecook

Good haul Heather!!!

I've been picking things here and there the past couple weeks, just forgot to take pictures. This is what I got yesterday.....zucchini, cucumbers, banana peppers, jalapenos, peas, beans, broccoli, rosemary and basil. We've eaten a couple green peppers, lots of green beans, lettuce, cauliflower already.....

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 262
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 257
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 266
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 252
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 250

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Every year I wish for a bigger garden, but space is so limited in my yard. I've picked about a dozen tomatoes so far. Peppers are still just flowers. Most of the basil and parsley are gone already. I have noticed a few tomato plants that I did not plant...must have sprouted up from tomatoes that rotted on the ground last year. Can't wait to see which varieties they are.

The tomatoes have been magnificent, so far.

By the way, love your gardenia!

homecook

Every year I wish for a bigger garden, but space is so limited in my yard. I've picked about a dozen tomatoes so far. Peppers are still just flowers. Most of the basil and parsley are gone already. I have noticed a few tomato plants that I did not plant...must have sprouted up from tomatoes that rotted on the ground last year. Can't wait to see which varieties they are.

The tomatoes have been magnificent, so far.

By the way, love your gardenia!

I've expanded mine a couple times. Now I'm getting too old for it. LOL
I've got 3 cherry tomato plants coming up that I never planted, plus another basil plant. I've still got a ton of basil, rosemary, oregano, thyme, and parsley. The tomatoes are turning slowly but that's nothing new for here.....

Heather's gardenia was my mom's favorite flower!

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
when I got married my bouquet was full of gardenias and orange blossoms. It was so magnificently fragrant.

homecook

They are fragrant. My mom tried to grow the plants here but the weather just isn't conducive for them. They all died on her after they bloomed! LOL

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I've had black currants, strawberries, raspberries, logan berries, french beans, broad beans, courgettes (zucchini) and thats the lot for the moment. The green gages are just coming ripe.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
We have had a good crop of cucumbers, egg plant and zucchini as well as jalapeños, habaneros and sweet peppers. We have also been going strong on the in house basil, oregano, dill, thyme, tarragon and flat leaf parsley. I've also got a couple of mint, cat nip, rosemary but didn't plant tomatoes this year at all. A fried has more tomatoes than he can eat so it brings them to me about 2 dozen at a time which I give some to my kids. We eat about 2 to 3 a week so I sure don't have a need for that many myself. Oh and forgot the chives which for me grow year around even out doors even in the snow. I've had the same plant now for 6 years my son gave me and it just won't die.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
So far we have harvested just the collared greens and some lettuce from the front pots. Coming up soon are the tomatoes, peppers, and some Kale that is almost ready to pick.

heb1976

today i picked 2 more squash, a green pepper (had to throw it out because it has holes in it), 7 jalapenos, 3 cherry tomatoes, 2 cucumbers, and some peas.

suziquzie

I've picked 3 $15 cherry tomatoes.
:(
I spent $45 on plants and thats what I got so far.

Its been so dry here I couldnt keep up with the watering early on. There's still a few things trying to make it, so we'll see.
A complete bummer this year Im considering giving up.

heb1976

went out yesterday and today! getting alot of stuff - don't know what to do with all. LOL loving it tho!!

Attachments

• 07272009 (17) - a.jpg
    07272009 (17) - a.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 191
  • 07272009 (19) - a.jpg
    07272009 (19) - a.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 187

GotGarlic

This has been a prolific year for most of our veggies. In the spring, we had snow and sugar snap peas, green beans, arugula, romaine, red and green leaf lettuce, and Swiss chard. We've been picking cucumbers like crazy - one day last week, I picked 10! We've probably gotten 3 dozen so far.

I've also picked quite a few tomatoes - mostly small Stupice and pretty good sized Romas. We also have some Italian paste tomatoes, but I don't think there are enough to make a pot of sauce. We've also picked several cubanelle and serrano peppers, but the sweet bells aren't doing so well.

I have a large herb garden, as well as several basil plants among the veggies - I put them there because they need more water than the other herbs. I have a bay tree that's probably 12-13 feet tall, so I pick those whenever I want some. We also have thyme, sage, parsley, rosemary, lemon balm, lemongrass, purple ruffle basil, mint and oregano. We had dill and cilantro in the spring, but they don't like hot weather, so they're gone.

I'd take a pic of the herb garden, but it needs weeding bad :blush:

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
This todays pickings - the fruit off the greengage tree and some veg.

Attachments

• DSC00035.jpg
    DSC00035.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC00036.jpg
    DSC00036.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 181

suziquzie

Well my margins went down a little yesterday....
1 yellow tomato 5 more cherries, 2 romas....
I think my produce is down to about $3 a piece now!!!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This todays pickings - the fruit off the greengage tree and some veg.

Mini, I had never heard of green gages, so I Googled them and found an article that makes me want one of those plum trees! You lucky duck!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2005/08/13/HOGB6E5PN91.DTL

In the last paragraph of the article, the author says, "Flavor: The taste of my 'Green Gage' plum (when it has fully ripened) reminds me of the taste of a fine well-balanced sweet German Trockenbeerenauslese."

Now I have to Google "German Trockenbeerenauslese". Isn't the internet a wondrous thing????

Lee

homecook

What is it with the cucumbers this year?? It seems like everyone is getting a boatload of them!!! Have you all gotten alot previous years?
It seems like every other year is a good year for me. I still can't figure out why. This year has been great!! I can eat cucumbers any which way...
I'll be making alot of these in a day or so....

http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2456

Last edited:

PanchoHambre

I'm killing just about everything this year.... the contstruction work took my back yard and its just been a mess... I have a few beans that's about it... pathetic... well there's farmers markets and next year.

The grape vine I planted is doing great wont yield for a few years though

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
went out yesterday and today! getting alot of stuff - don't know what to do with all. LOL loving it tho!!

Heather, my brother has 4 planting beds measuring 20' x 20' each, and every one produces magnificently each and every year. That was not always the case. When he first started gardening he kept his entire harvest for him and his family, and each year the yield seemed to be less and less. He discussed this with a neighbor whose garden was extremely prolific, and only a short distance away. Both received the same rain and weeding and crop rotation, yet the neighbor's was 3-4x the yield. Matt came to find out that the neighbor gave away a lot of the produce to neighbors without gardens, often without keeping a days yield for herself. Each year her garden increased its yield as she increased her benevolence, and found that she always had more than she needed. When Matt started sharing his bounty with others, it seemed like he always had as much as he needed, and often had more each year that he could give away.

Don't hesitate to find someone to share your bounty with, and trust that you will continue to have all that you need.

"Give, and it will be given to you: good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over, will be given to you. For with the same measure you measure, it will be measured back to you." Luke 6:38

heb1976

it thought about giving some to the neighbors and hubby is taking some of the squash to work (altho i dislike those people so they shouldnt get any). i give some to mom too, but she can' t eat these fast enough. i'll figure something out i suppose. the cherry tomatoes are really starting to turn now so i am gonna have a ton of those as well as green pepper which i will chop up and freeze.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
What is it with the cucumbers this year?? It seems like everyone is getting a boatload of them!!! Have you all gotten alot previous years?
It seems like every other year is a good year for me. I still can't figure out why. This year has been great!! I can eat cucumbers any which way...
I'll be making alot of these in a day or so....

http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2456

We haven't had any problem growing cucumbers as every year seems to be abundant. Last year no tomatoes due to strange weather patterns and didn't plant any this year though my daughter in law has this year. Jalapeños, cayenne and banana peppers have been great but not so good with habaneros. The outside dill didn't last long about 1 week but the inside is doing fine as is everything else this year. Jeff sent me some seeds this year that though have grown haven't produced a single pepper as of yet but a couple beginning to come out. I will just have to wait and see how it goes. I still have some seeds I might try in the garden window later. I've also had another great crop of egg plant and zucchini this year as I have since I've been here.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Picked 2 pounds of blackberries from the bushes growing wild in the garden. DW turned these into jam. She made greengage jam yesterday as well as bottling some of the greengages.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
God man you have no idea how I love wild blackberries. They grow here also and my favorite way is in a biscuit dough cobbler. I really need to see if I can find some greengage as I've never heard of it either. To let you know how much I like blackberries I picked up a case of blackberry jam as well as honey a year ago. Drove 7 hours to North Carolina to get it just to have on hand.

suziquzie

I found quite a few raspberry bushes in the yard yesterday, I ate a couple and lived to tell about it so I'm pretty sure they're not poisonous. :)
There are a few here and there, I need to figure out how to move them so I can grow them on purpose!

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
God man you have no idea how I love wild blackberries. They grow here also and my favorite way is in a biscuit dough cobbler. I really need to see if I can find some greengage as I've never heard of it either. To let you know how much I like blackberries I picked up a case of blackberry jam as well as honey a year ago. Drove 7 hours to North Carolina to get it just to have on hand.

If you come over, I let you have a few pints and a couple of jars of jam.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Appreciate the offer Ray but that won't happen anytime soon for sure. My days of crossing the pond are pretty much over.