Got garlic

Mr. Green Jeans

Elephant <I'm a man not a vegetable!> garlic that is!

Attachments

• elephant.jpg
    elephant.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 148

FryBoy

Elephant garlic, while huge, is very mild compared to "regular" garlic and generally isn't a good substitute.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I planted 15 cloves a few weeks ago, and they are now about 6-7" tall. I got 100% germination, and look forward to garlic in June.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've never tried to grow garlic and it does grow here. Is their anything special to it? I assume you plant a clove and a plant grows from it? If so is what you buy in the store to eat suitable or do you need to buy something special? Thanks for the answers guys.

Mr. Green Jeans

Garlic is best planted in the fall and harvested the following summer. The kicker is it is hard to find in garden stores in September. The bulbs in the grocery are often treated with an anti-sprouting agent HOWEVER, the organic bulbs are not and those work well for planting.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I've never tried to grow garlic and it does grow here. Is their anything special to it? I assume you plant a clove and a plant grows from it? If so is what you buy in the store to eat suitable or do you need to buy something special? Thanks for the answers guys.

I had a head of garlic lost in the cupboard that was starting to give off shoots, so I just broke up the head, loosened the soil to about 3" deep and shoved each clove in the soil with the sprout side up, then loosley covered them with soil and watered them in. Bing, bango, bongo...15 minutes and I was done. I've done this before and got decent heads of garlic which are delicious because they are so fresh. Give it a shot in a flower bed or even a planter box somewhere. Allow about 6" between each clove when planting so the bulb has room to grow.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I had a head of garlic lost in the cupboard that was starting to give off shoots, so I just broke up the head, loosened the soil to about 3" deep and shoved each clove in the soil with the sprout side up, then loosley covered them with soil and watered them in. Bing, bango, bongo...15 minutes and I was done. I've done this before and got decent heads of garlic which are delicious because they are so fresh. Give it a shot in a flower bed or even a planter box somewhere. Allow about 6" between each clove when planting so the bulb has room to grow.

Thanks Joe I will give it a try. All my garlic I buy from a local grower and I'm sure it is organic. I leave a head or two next time I get some from them and see if it starts to give off shoots, if so I will plant it. I would love to grow it myself as we use it often in my home.