Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
FLORIDA LEMON SQUARES
Based on a recipe from Maida Heatter's Book of Great Cookies

Ingredients:
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. double-action baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 or 15 oz)
Finely grated rind of 1 large lemon
1/2 cup lemon juice
5 1/3 oz. (10 2/3 Tablespoons) sweet butter
1 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup old fashioned or quick-cooking oats (not instant)
Optional: Sifted powdered confectioners' sugar

Directions:
Adjust your oven rack 1/3 up from the bottom of your oven oven and set your oven
to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9" x 13" x 2" baking pan.

Sift together the dry ingredients (all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt.)
Then set aside. Pour the sweetened condensed milk into a small bowl and add the
lemon rind. Slowly stirring with a whisk, add the lemon juice and make sure the
mixture remains smooth. The lemon juice will cause the sweetened condensed milk
to further thicken. Set aside.

Cream buter with the sugar and beat together well. Slowly add the dry
ingredients that you had set aside. Beat only until combined well. Then, add and
mix in the oats. This mixture will be crumbly.

Pat about 2 generous cups of the crumbly mixture evenly into the bottom of the
prepared pan. Evenly place the lemon mixture over the crumb layer and spread
smoothly. Sprinkle the remaining oat mixture evenly on top and pat to smooth.

Bake the Florida Lemon Squares for about a half hour or 35 minutes until the top
is lightly colored. Remove from oven and let cool completely in the pan. Then,
refrigerate for at least one hour. To cut, use a small sharp knife and cut
around the sides. Then, cut into small squares. Keep refrigerated.

Optional: Just before serving, top each square with sifted confectioners' sugar.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
mmmmm I love lemon squares!

I'm intrigued by using the sweetened condensed milk - going to try these next!

Thanks, Susan!

Lee

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Yum! These sound great. I have some fresh lemons (rare to find here) and I'm going to make these tomorrow. Thanks for the recipe!

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Yum! These sound great. I have some fresh lemons (rare to find here) and I'm going to make these tomorrow. Thanks for the recipe!
Really? I didn't know lemons were hard to find there. I got some of the biggest lemons I've ever seen in my life in Zapata, Texas and I thought I remembered them saying they were grown in Mexico so I got it in my head that y'all grow monster lemons there!

BTW, I'm with you, Karen, on the street vendor chorizo. The best chorizo I've ever had I bought on the street in Mexico.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Fisher's Mom said:
I didn't know lemons were hard to find there.

Go figure...Mexican food is all about limes, limes, limes. Don't get me wrong - I love limes, but every now and then, I want a LEMON. They are very hard to find. Maybe they are just grown for export. I find them every now and then, especially the sweeter Meyer type lemons. I bought the ones I currently have at Costco. I usually juice them immediately, freeze the juice in ice cube trays and then zest them and freeze the zest. But it's nice to have fresh lemons to go with fish, and also to put in some cola...

BTW, thanks for the support on the chorizo. It was so good. We have never gotten sick from street food. There are so many people here who just cook wonderful stuff in their own kitchens and then walk around and sell it. I am happy to buy it and enjoy it....

smoke king

Banned
Thanks for the recipe PS. I have a similar one that uses a couple of tablespoons of Limoncello as well. Deeee-lish!!

lilylove

Go figure...Mexican food is all about limes, limes, limes. Don't get me wrong - I love limes, but every now and then, I want a LEMON. They are very hard to find. Maybe they are just grown for export. I find them every now and then, especially the sweeter Meyer type lemons. I bought the ones I currently have at Costco. I usually juice them immediately, freeze the juice in ice cube trays and then zest them and freeze the zest. But it's nice to have fresh lemons to go with fish, and also to put in some cola...

BTW, thanks for the support on the chorizo. It was so good. We have never gotten sick from street food. There are so many people here who just cook wonderful stuff in their own kitchens and then walk around and sell it. I am happy to buy it and enjoy it....

I wonder... since limes are sooooooooo easy to find there and are so cheap... Could we do this recipe with limes instead? I know we look for lemons every time we are there and NOPE...can't find them!!!

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
lilylove, I do not see why not but I am not sure that I would use the lime zest. It can be bitter.