Smaller Bowl for KitchenAid Stand Mixers

FryBoy

I love my KitchenAid Pro 600 Stand Mixer. However, it has two shortcomings compared to my trusty old Sunbeam MixMaster: 1) it's impossible to scrape the bowl when the mixer is running, and 2) the bowl is too large to mix small batches efficiently.

The scraping problem has been addressed by improved beaters made by other companies, such as the BeaterBlade+ and the SideSwipe. These work really well, continually scraping the bowl as the food is mixed. (See this thread.)

The problem of the bowl being too large for some tasks has been addressed by KitchenAid itself. A couple of years ago they introduced the Combi Bowl & Whip, a 3-quart bowl and smaller beater blade that work with either the 6-quart or 5-quart KitchenAid stand mixers that have the bowl-lift stand (i.e., not the tilt-head models).

Yesterday I made a Chocolate-Coconut-Pecan Upside-Down Cake, which has only one very thin layer of cake (1 cup of flour, ½ cup sugar, 1 egg, etc.), so I got to use my Combi Bowl & Whip for the first time. It worked very well, although it does still require frequent scraping of the bowl. Nonetheless, I was very happy with it, which is why I decided to write this post.

The Combi Bowl & Whip is available from Williams-Sonoma for $60, which is $10 less than KitchenAid charges for it. There's a video of the gadget being used on the William's Sonoma site: CLICK ME

Here's what it looks like:

img47l.jpg

Last edited:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Thanks for this FryBoy. I have a KA 600Pro too and I would love to have a smaller bowl - it would make it that much more useful.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
When checking out the new mixers, I saw that at Williams Sonoma and noticed the video. I hope it solves your problem, FryBoy. I am holding out for my Hobart.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I wanted that for my 5-qt KA bowl-lift mixer, but I don't think it'll fit. My machine is the older style K-5SS.