Warm scallop and bacon salad

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Sea scallops (large) over an arugula salad accompanied by bacon, asparagus, and a poached egg

4 fresh sea scallops (large scallops)
4 strips bacon
4 tbsp olive oil (for vinaigrette dressing)
1.5 tbsp white wine vinegar (for vinaigrette dressing)
1.5 tsp mustard (for vinaigrette dressing)
2 spears asparagus
3 handfuls arugula
2 eggs
Kosher salt
Cracked black pepper

Make a simple vinaigrette dressing by pouring the olive oil, white wine vinegar, and mustard into a bowl. Whisk until mixed. Set aside.

Put enough water to poach two eggs into a saucepan and bring water to boil.

On a high heat skillet render the fat off four strips of bacon, cooking the bacon until crispy and golden (or a little charred if you prefer). Set bacon aside on kitchen paper.

Bring rendered bacon fat in skillet back to heat and flash-fry the asparagus spears until their skins are slightly blistered (but do not char or burn the asparagus).

Bring rendered bacon fat in skillet back to heat again. While this is happening pat-dry the scallops and season with salt and pepper. Also lightly dress the arugula with the vinaigrette and plate.

Put scallops into hot skillet, cook on each side for about 1 minute (until golden brown).

Immediately after scallops are put in the pan (first side cooking) poach the eggs in the boiling water. Ensure that eggs are not overcooked. You want runny yolks.

Place the bacon and asparagus, then put two cooked scallops on top per plate, finishing with one poached egg on top per plate. Add a pinch of salt and some cracked black pepper over top and serve.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Oh gosh, that sounds good. I have some big sea scallops in my freezer. I think this is what I'll do with them. I used to make a wonderful Italian dish that had asparagus, parmesan cheese and a poached egg on top....thanks for the recipe, Bam.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Gotta love scallops! Will have to find the big ones though...

You got a recipe on that Karen? I am not huge on asparagus, but DW loves it!