Iron Chef 24 - Battle Garlic!

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Keltin still away, so I ran the random number generator for again. It came up #31.

For Iron Chef 31, the secret ingredient is……..

Garlic!

As with the other ICs, this is a challenge to ourselves. There is no judging, and no winner. We are ALL winners in this since we will all benefit from the creativity and new recipes that this challenge will bring us.

The rules are simple, make any kind of dish you want, however you want. Drink, Appetizer, Main Course, Dessert, etc. The only stipulation is that you must use Garlic in some way.

Once your dish is ready, it’s a good idea to make a new post with your recipe. Then, post a link and a picture of your recipe to this thread. Alternatively, if you like, post your recipe and pictures here. In the end, we will compile all the results into one thread for easy searching.

Now, let Battle Garlic begin!

Peeps, can you do the results thread again???

FryBoy

Not to poop in the punch bowl, but IMHO garlic is a lousy selection for "battle" in that nearly everything I and many others make (except desserts, of course) has garlic in it, including most of my prior "battle" contributions. Sort of like Battle Salt!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Not to poop in the punch bowl, but IMHO garlic is a lousy selection for "battle" in that nearly everything I and many others make (except desserts, of course) has garlic in it, including most of my prior "battle" contributions. Sort of like Battle Salt!
I agree. I put garlic powder on my over-easy eggs along with fresh ground pepper. It is ubiquitous in most of my cooking.

chowhound

Garlic?!

Attachments

• grandpa.jpg
    grandpa.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 386

vyapti

It's like the onion challenge, but more so. On the other hand, making a garlic-centric dish could be a challenge. I'm happy no matter what.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Keltin still away, so I ran the random number generator for again. It came up #31.

For Iron Chef 31, the secret ingredient is……..

Garlic!

As with the other ICs, this is a challenge to ourselves. There is no judging, and no winner. We are ALL winners in this since we will all benefit from the creativity and new recipes that this challenge will bring us.

The rules are simple, make any kind of dish you want, however you want. Drink, Appetizer, Main Course, Dessert, etc. The only stipulation is that you must use Garlic in some way.

Once your dish is ready, it’s a good idea to make a new post with your recipe. Then, post a link and a picture of your recipe to this thread. Alternatively, if you like, post your recipe and pictures here. In the end, we will compile all the results into one thread for easy searching.

Now, let Battle Garlic begin!

Peeps, can you do the results thread again???
yup SS no problem sweetie. i did the results.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
hmmmmmmm i am italian so garlic and onion go in just about everything.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter

attachment.php

:lol:
Ok, so I've only took part in one IC thingie so far so I've no room to complain.. garlic seems a little weird, although we did have an onion battle did we not?

Hmmmmmmmm....
Lots of things could be made as far as I'm concerned...

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Garlic Fried Chicken

Turkey With Roasted Garlic Gravy

Garlic Cheese Fondue

Garlic Sauce

Garlic Soup

... just to name a few...

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Why didn't you all speak up when the list was being drawn up?

It was on the list, and I ran the RNG. It came up 31. Garlic. The time to criticize was 4 months ago. Participate or not. The criticism is uncalled for at this late date.

I want to see what Barb does with that black garlic!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Why didn't you all speak up when the list was being drawn up?

It was on the list, and I ran the RNG. It came up 31. Garlic. The time to criticize was 4 months ago. Participate or not. The criticism is uncalled for at this late date.

I want to see what Barb does with that black garlic!
^^^^me tooooooooooooooooooo!^^^^^^^^^^^^^

you did a good job SSS!!

this is gonna be an easy one because people use a lot of garlic.

i'd love to see some of those that sass mentioned. i never had garlic soup.

buckytom

Grill Master
fry and the rabble that followed :wink:: you're displeasure with the topic is completely misguided imo.

is this "exotic ingredient" chef? or "things that i want to learn but don't know what to ask", chef? no! it's IRON CHEF!

what can you do with a single-ish ingredient? if you feel that a dish you make would show off your talents with that ingredient in some way, then so be it. i guess the idea is to impress me with something i don't know, and all that. but a real iron chef would gladly feature an ingredient with a wide recipe base in order to challenge the chef in how best to use it.

i admit that my entry in cheese (chicken parm) was weak under this scrutiny. but it was all i had. :chef:

or should we backwards engineer the list now that we see a bug?ingredients should be exotic or ubiquitous, or both/neither?

btw, i used to be a garlic addict as well. i added it to just about anything that i could imagine ,and often (not always) get away with.
while mediterranean and french provincial cooking seems to dominate american tastes, i've learned to try many of my dishes without garlic, just to see. you'd be surprised at how often i found it is just as easily left out in order to taste the other key, finely flavoured ingredients.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter

Funny you should say that...Lou said the exact same thing, almost word for word, right down to the battle salt part.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Before anyone gets their linens in a twist, I'm not complaining, just musing aloud. There really is only one battle that I'm not interested in and that's tofu. As for garlic, the rumors that it hurts vampyres are completely unfounded, by the way...trust me, I know from experience.:tongue:

I gotcha garlic, right here......:kiss:

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
As mentioned there are a lot of dishes where garlic is a key ingredient not just a seasoning/flavouring - anyone doing the 40 clove dish?

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I found a 70 clove dish and I'm sure as hell NOT doing that one. :yum:

That recipe actually looked pretty good if you cut down on the garlic and used it as a spread on some toasted bread or a sauce for something. I can't imagine just "eating it" though.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
That recipe actually looked pretty good if you cut down on the garlic and used it as a spread on some toasted bread or a sauce for something. I can't imagine just "eating it" though.
That's what I was thinking too Cooksie.
It's an Au Gratin which made me wonder what or how it could be served and what with!
The only reason I posted it is because it's got such massive amounts of garlic.
So, is Battle Garlic on, or are we going to move to something else?

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Before anyone gets their linens in a twist, I'm not complaining, just musing aloud. There really is only one battle that I'm not interested in and that's tofu. As for garlic, the rumors that it hurts vampyres are completely unfounded, by the way...trust me, I know from experience.:tongue:

I gotcha garlic, right here......:kiss:

I have to agree. I don't think that there would be much participation with tofu, but I do eat it mostly in hot and sour soup.

That's what I was thinking too Cooksie.
It's an Au Gratin which made me wonder what or how it could be served and what with!
The only reason I posted it is because it's got such massive amounts of garlic.
So, is Battle Garlic on, or are we going to move to something else?

I'm hoping that battle garlic is on :D.