½ t thyme
½ t fresh rosemary, chopped
1 bay leaf
3 ½ c good beef stock
~ 1/3 c sherry, to taste
Salt and pepper
French bread
Swiss cheese

In a heavy-bottomed pan, heat the butter over low heat. Add the onions. Caramelize the onions slowly, stirring occasionally, 30 - 45 minutes. In the last few minutes of cooking the onions, add the thyme, rosemary, and bay leaf. Deglaze the pan with the sherry, then add the stock, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer until the flavors blend, about 20 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Preheat the broiler to its highest setting. Slice French bread 3/8” thick, and toast. Place bread on top of a bowl of soup, cover with a slice or two of Swiss cheese. Place the bowl under the broiler until the cheese melts, then remove and serve.
NOTES: this is one of those soups that goes best with a sandwich for lunch, or on a really cold day, as an appetizer before supper.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ohhhh what a great idea, Allen!

I love French Onion Soup and forget to make it! I'll definitely do this in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for the reminder!

Lee

AllenOK

Check you grocery stores carefully! I've already seen some Vidalia's here. That would make a great soup. I've been known to use 3 - 4 different kinds of onions (including lots of shallots) to make this.

homecook

Oooh I just got some new crocks to be able to put under the broiler to make this soup. I like to use gruyere (sp?) or provolone on top of mine. On my menu this week! Thanks Allen.

Barb

High Cheese

Saucier
I would watch using all vidalias, it may turn out too sweet. Sometimes just yellow onions can be too sweet. I also cut the beef broth with chicken and use gruyere. Swiss is just as good and melts great too.

AllenOK

All good suggestions. Gruyere is traditional. Swiss is more readily available. I'm not crazy about either, and would jump on the provolone.

I know a lot of people like to mix the beef stock with chicken stock. This is a good "sub" for pork or veal stock.

I find the having a lot of sweet onions contrasts nicely with a strong, savory beef broth.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I like provolone on mine as well. I think DW uses red onions for her soup, I will show this to her, give her some ideas!
Thanks for posting!