Softened butter

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Seems like a dumb question. But it is proving difficult.

If a recipe calls for softened butter, how do you do it?

The microwave melts it, leaving it on the counter doesn't make soft enough.

What is you method.

Thank you
Andy

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I leave a stick of butter in a butter dish out on the counter all the time. So, if I need a couple of tablespoons of butter, I just cut it off what I have in my butter dish.

If I need a lot, like half a stick or more, I take it out of the fridge a couple of hours before I need it.

Lee

Saliha

In one discussion forum I update kitchen tips thread and to there I posted this:

Tip: How to Soften Butter Quickly

butter-rolling-pin.jpg

Many baking recipes call for “softened” butter, or room temperature butter. The reason for using softened butter is that you want to beat the butter (also called “creaming the butter”), either with sugar or without, and it’s very hard to beat a cold stick of butter.

The best thing to do to soften your butter is to put it out on the kitchen counter for an hour before you have to use it. But sometimes we don’t think that far ahead. One popular solution is to put the cold butter in the microwave for 10 to 20 seconds. The problem with microwaving butter is that the microwave can heat the butter unevenly, and tends to over-soften or even melt the butter in places. You want pliable butter for beating, not almost melting butter.

Here’s a simple trick to soften butter quickly using some wax paper and a rolling pin.

Method

Just put the stick of butter between two large pieces of wax paper. Using a rolling pin, press down on the butter. Roll it out they way you would roll out a pie crust. When the butter is about 1/8 to 1/4-inch thick, lift off the wax paper and peel away the butter (before it gets too soft to peel).

Voilà! Softened butter, ready for beating.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/tip_how_to_soften_butter_quickly/

Saliha

Other method I use when baking:

I leave butter (or margarine) to the room temperature for 20 minutes in the bowl, covered with flour.

LADawg

I have a butter keeper and always have soft butter, but I only use that if little butter is needed. If I am baking something and need something like a whole stick then I cut into cubes and let it sit in the mixing bowl for half an hour or so.
I do like the wax paper, rolling pin idea. I think I will give that a try.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I just use the spreadable butter that comes in the little plastic tubs for spreading on toasts, bagels and other breads.

When I bake, especially biscuits or a pound cake, I usually let the butter and eggs sit out for a few hours in order for them to reach room temp and soften naturally.

Otherwise, when cooking & sauteeing, I just put the amount of butter that I'm going to use right in the pot or pan, since the hardness or softness doesn't matter because the whole purpose it to melt it anyway. :cooking::eating2:

Shermie

Site Supporter
It is mixed with olive oil as well. But what in the world is faux butter? :bb:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Faux is fake. While Olive Oil is not a bad substance, at least I think that way, what you are getting is not 100% pure butter, IE Faux.

Sometimes fakes have bad stuff in them.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Thank you all.

I do leave butter in my kitchen cabinet. Since it is an old house and on an outside wall, in the winter it is almost like being in a fridge.

I cannot leave it in the counter as the kitchen (AKA - Food Storage Area) is constantly patrolled by two Labrador retrievers that are on constant watch for unauthorized objects left on the counter, which are immediately deemed to be hazardous to the humans that they are sworn to protect and they are quick to insure a clean counter.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
my kitties used to get on my table. i got a plastic butter bell. i could see 2 labs gnawing 1 of them to shreds, tho. could keep 1 on a high shelf or in a pantry.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I cannot leave it in the counter as the kitchen (AKA - Food Storage Area) is constantly patrolled by two Labrador retrievers that are on constant watch for unauthorized objects left on the counter, which are immediately deemed to be hazardous to the humans that they are sworn to protect and they are quick to insure a clean counter.

My stepmother's three Siamese cats were as vigilante as your dogs, Andy. Gerry always stored one or two things in the microwave to thwart the cats.

Lee

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Luvs - it defies description what they are able to shed. I just love them too much to get upset with them. I have had them so long, out gets to be amusing.

Lee - the microwave could work.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
LOL - thank you Luvs. Liam likes TV, Bear isn't interested.

Good is a major focus for both. Liam are two loaves of bread dough while they were riding once.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
LOL - thank you Luvs. Liam likes TV, Bear isn't interested.

Good is a major focus for both. Liam are two loaves of bread dough while they were riding once.

glad u appreciated that. my meowers take turns watching tv.

Saliha

The meowders means cats? My dictionary hasn´t that word...

In my language cats say miau, not meow.

:yum:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>the microwave

mine has 'power' settings from 1 to 10

a stick of butter for 4 minutes on 2 makes it 'room temp'

normally I just cut up the stick - the more surface area the faster it warms.

Leni

Thank you all.

I do leave butter in my kitchen cabinet. Since it is an old house and on an outside wall, in the winter it is almost like being in a fridge.

Putting the butter into the oven to soften would also work, that is unless they know how to open the oven.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Chowder, that is what I have been doing. Sometimes, I just don't have time.

Leni - I have not tried the oven, then again, Liam has been known to push a lawn chair across the patio, so he can jump on it to get at what he wants or to jump on the chair to the top of the BBQ (Cold) to get to the gutter to "Retrieve" a tennis ball that was put there to keep it away from him. Probably the oven is safe, except for the absent minded husband (me) who might turn the oven on without looking inside. I don't mean to be difficult, I AM that absent minded at times. Also, Liam is that smart.