Looking for "I feel horrible, but I gotta eat suggestions."

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I got some kind of a flu / cold / I really don't care what it is called. It hit me like I have never been hit in an awful long time. I really didn't eat for a couple days. No energy to cook, really no desire to cook.

I am looking for things that are freshly prepared and have pretty good nutrition. I really don't like frozen or grocery store pre made / frozen food.

Any suggestions.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I like soup when I'm feeling bad. Ask your wife to make you some.

Tortilla roll-ups are easy to put together and can be pretty nutritious. A granny smith apple and some peanut butter is filling to me, and that's about as easy as it gets. Scrambled eggs or an omelet...

I hope you feel better very soon.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm so sorry to hear that you're feeling crummy, Andy! Hope you feel better soon!

I like grilled cheese and tomato soup when I'm sick.

Also, a family favorite is pasta (like shells or elbow mac), lots of butter, a can of diced tomatoes, dill (dried is fine), garlic salt. For some reason, this dish has always been a hit even with people who will not or cannot eat anything else.

There's a photo in this post, Andy. Leave out the cabbage, if you're feeling sick. http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=254056&postcount=1

Lee

Last edited:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I used Ensure when i was recouping and really did not feel like eating. Better than nothing.
Hope you feel better real soon Andy.

Saliha

When I don´t feel well, I don´t have any appetite but I know I need to eat something, I usually eat simple rolled oats and cold milk together. It's like raw oat porridge.

For flu season, you can try these:

Herbal Cough Drops

Coughs can sometimes be the most debilitating part of a cold or flu. Persistent coughs can keep someone from sleeping and cause a lot of pain. Generally we don’t want to suppress a cough unless it is a last resort to restore someone’s sanity. Instead we may employ herbs to support a cough, thus helping to relieve it. A conversation about herbal stimulating and relaxing expectorants as well as demulcents and anti-spasmodics could be an article in itself! Instead I leave you with this recipe, a hard candy type cough drop, great for those tickly, persistent coughs that can keep you up at night.

HerbalCoughDrops.jpg

Ingredients

1/2 cup of super strong herbal tea

2 cups of sugar

3/4 cups of black strap molasses

also useful is a candy thermometer and a hard candy mold

(I know what you are thinking, yes, this recipe does call for a lot of sugar. It is not an appropriate recipe from someone with blood sugar issues.)

To begin prepare your hard candy molds for the mixture OR grease a cookie sheet. Also have a small cup of cold water nearby.

The 1/2 cup of super strong herbal tea can use a variety of different herbs. My latest favorite is equal parts bee balm (Monarda spp.), sage (Salvia officinalis) and rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis). Horehound (Marrubium vulgare) is, of course, famous as a cough drop as well.

To make these, blend all ingredients in a medium to large saucepan. Stir constantly on high heat until the temperature reaches 300 degrees F / 149 C, OR the mixture solidifies when dropped into the cool water.

Once it is ready, pour into the hard candy molds (or greased cookie sheet), let cool and then store until needed. Some people coat each piece of candy with powdered sugar to keep it from sticking to one another. Powdered herbs (rose petals, yum!) can be used as well.

Source: http://www.methowvalleyherbs.com/2012/12/creating-herbal-medicine-chest-for-cold.html

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Thank you everyone. I am filling these away. Yes, I feel better.

Cooksie, she doesn't cook. I won't go into detail. Lol

Andy

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Celery, apples, bananas, water and anything salty.
Did I mention water?
Nothing dairy.
Feel better!

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I don't know what is up with the "Whatever" I had, but, I only remember being that sick once in my life.

I am on the mend. Thank you all for the tips and kind words.

Andy

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
late suggestion-- ensure/similar items. they can sustain a person fer quite awhile. very nutritious. or, carnation breakfast, if you can tolerate milk.
get & stay well, andy.--