How much actual good prep space do you have?

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I have an average kitchen. My actual food prep space seems to be the space between the sink and the stove, maybe 18" to two feet. There is more space to the left of the sink and on the wall behind is a whole counter. It all seems to be taken by with "other things".

Am I the only one in this situation? It could be my technique. Just curious.

My ideal kitchen would be with a fridge on one side, then a food prep counter, circular in shape. Kind of like a bar. I could cook in the middle and friends could sit around the outside the outside (not underfoot) and eat, we could all talk and enjoy each other.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
The kitchen in my current house is the best layout of any kitchen that I've ever had. If I were to build a house, I'd copy this kitchen layout. When I'm standing looking into the sink, there is a counter to the right which ends with a refrigerator. To my left is another longer counter which ends with a wall oven/microwave and a pantry. In back of me is an island with a cooktop that has a little counter space on each side. So, it's a triangular work area.

Further back from the island is a bar/eating area. I really do like that I can have space to move around in the cooking area, and the lookie-loos can sit on the other side of the bar in their area.

I don't mind people in that triangular work area as long as they're helping. I just don't like someone leaned up against the counter chatting and blocking something that I need to get to.

I don't like a bunch of stuff out on the counter either. I hate having to look at the toaster oven, but I use it quite often, so I'll go for function over looks for that.

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
If not for all the BS sitting on it we would have a ton of counter space to work on. Once in a while I get pissed and move stuff to the basement or pantry to have some space. That usually starts a war.:yum::yum::yum:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
a reasonable amount 4 a city apartment- yet oddly enough, my preferred prep area is my front living room.
i've got a table & 2 counters to use in my kitchen, tho, & use 'em here & there.

Leni

I'm in the same situation as you Adillo. My home was built in 1952 and has the galley style of kitchen. My total counter space is 9 linear feet most of which is occupied by things that I use every day. My prep space is the same as yours. There is no way to remodel it.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
we have an island. there's nothing like being stranded on an island . . . (g)
I'm spoilt, big time.

it occupies itself with nothing but a large cutting board - pretty much anything else is only a temporary resident pending being put away in the pantry, etc.

oh. I keep a lidded bowl with veggie scraps enroute to the compost heap . . .