Blues Man's Pulled Pork

Blues Man

I got the two 9 lb. Boston Butts on the smoker at 7:30 AM this morning.

Here they are rubbed down with mustard.............

100_0419.jpg

And with my homemade pork rub ............

100_0139.jpg

Ready for the smoker. Using Royal Oak lump charcoal and hickory wood. Smoking at 230-240 degrees.

More pics to follow .......

buckytom

Grill Master
what, i'm talkin' blues talk...

gotta get me some whiskey to forget about a devil-woman. mean old heart stealin' swamp witch.

Blues Man

Okay - It's 3:35 and both Boston butts are @ 195. They are foiled, wrapped in towels and in the cooler to rest. I will post some pics when I pull it.

Blues Man

For pulled pork I use a very simple rub of equal parts:

garlic salt
onion salt
paprika
cumin
black pepper

I use a very hot and spicy vinegar finishing sauce on the pulled pork which gives it a good kick so I don't use a lot of heat in the rub.

Care to share your rub recipe?????

Blues Man

I forgot - I did get a pic of the two Boston butts in the smoker .........

100_0468.jpg

They are at 165 and were just about ready to be foiled .......

Blues Man

Not much of a stall on these two and they both finished within 30 minutes of each other. I was running a little hot (245 degrees) today once I foiled them. I have had them finish up to 2-1/2 hours of each other in the past. Sometime they stall for hours at about 160 degrees.

damn .. thats good time for butts ..
did you hit a stall ?

Love2"Q"

yeah .. 160 seems to be the number ..
but last weekend i had a serious stall at 180 ...
looking great so far ..

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
very tasty looking

my only suggestion would be to watch your rub with using the spices with salt in them, they use iodized salt in them and can leave a metalic taste when smoked

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Great, Blues!

How are you going to serve it?

Do you mix sauce with the pulled pork first, or serve it at the table, or no sauce?

If sauce, what kind?

Lee

Blues Man

I mix the pulled pork with a homemade finishing sauce and then served it without sauce or bread. The finishing sauce is a mix of apple cider vinegar, white pepper, red pepper flakes, and some creole seasonings. With the finishing sauce you don't really need to add any BBQ sauce.

Great, Blues!

How are you going to serve it?

Do you mix sauce with the pulled pork first, or serve it at the table, or no sauce?

If sauce, what kind?

Lee