NCT's Iron Chef 12: Battle Sushi

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
For Iron Chef 12, the secret ingredient is……..

Sushi!

As with the other ICs, this is a challenge to ourselves. There is no judging, and no winner. We are ALL winners in this since we will all benefit from the creativity and new recipes that this challenge will bring us.

The rules are simple, make any kind of dish you want, however you want. Drink, Appetizer, Main Course, Dessert, etc. The only stipulation is that you must use Sushi in some way in the dish.

Once your dish is ready, it’s a good idea to make a new post with your recipe. Then, post a link and a picture of your recipe to this thread. Alternatively, if you like, post your recipe and pictures here. In the end, we will compile all the results into one thread for easy searching.

Now, let Battle Sushi begin!

33er39t.jpg

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
I've only ever tried my hand at designing Sushi three times; each time got easier and better-looking. It's been some time, tho' so I quess it's due........

This should be a pretty thread; can't wait to see some of the stuff y'all come up with.............

now, where's that sticky rice recipe....................

FooD

I can't make sushi. But I love them. I think this will be more of a presentation thread than anything else. I'm curious to see what you all come up with. :)

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
I can't make sushi. But I love them. I think this will be more of a presentation thread than anything else. I'm curious to see what you all come up with. :)

FooD u have lots of great sushi places in ur area... time 4 u to go grab some ideas for us..lol

i wish i could get raw tuna here..might have to come up with a veggie one..yah i said veggie..lol

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Never made Sushi before. I’ve been researching it, and it’s extremely varied. The main idea for Sushi (that I’ve gathered from my research) is you use vinegared sticky rice and (typically) another topping or ingredient. The ingredient can be cooked, raw, or cured. Meat, vegetable, etc. And of course, you have to roll it or form it.

Doesn’t sound too hard! A little more research, and I may be coming up with something for this.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
And this one I surely won't be able to participate in...but I am looking forward to seeing the pictures. And if anyone decided to serve the sushi on their naked bodies I implore you to take pictures!!

homecook

And this one I surely won't be able to participate in...but I am looking forward to seeing the pictures. And if anyone decided to serve the sushi on their naked bodies I implore you to take pictures!!

That could probably be arranged!! :whistling:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Never made Sushi before. I’ve been researching it, and it’s extremely varied. The main idea for Sushi (that I’ve gathered from my research) is you use vinegared sticky rice and (typically) another topping or ingredient. The ingredient can be cooked, raw, or cured. Meat, vegetable, etc. And of course, you have to roll it or form it.

Doesn’t sound too hard! A little more research, and I may be coming up with something for this.

exactly...sushi is the rolling of it and actually doesnt mean raw fish like alot of people think it is.

i havent ever made sushi either but have eaten my fair share of it.

i will give a tip to everyone though. if u are going to attempt this and are going to use a soy sauce, i highly recommend using Kikkoman brand soy sauce. i have made lots of sashimi and other soy sauces just do not measure up to it.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
A couple of safety tips from your resident food/servsafe poster: Watch the rice. Cooked rice is potentially hazardous. Don't skip the vinegar, it's what keeps the Ph balanced and the rice safe to eat at room temperature.

If you do the raw fish, keep it chilled. With just the slightest hint of ice, it will slice easire if you aren't too keen with your knife skills. Don't let it freeze through, just give it some time in the freezer. The nori tastes less fishy if you hold a sheet over an open flame and kind of toast it.
If you are doing regular size rolls, don't give into temptation to overstuff it. It will fall apart. Less is best, and that way you can eat more.

It really helps to have one of those wicker rolling pads, but if you don't, use a sheet of waxed paper. Lay the nori down, layer it with rice, pressing gently but evenly. Put a thin line of fish and other stuff about 1/2 inch from edge closest to you. Use the waxed paper to lift the nori and then start rolling and squeezing (not too tightly, you don't want a hard roll, but you also don't want your filling to fall out)

It's all about feel and touch. Really wish I had the time to get in on this one.

Ah well..take lots of pictures!

GotGarlic

FooD u have lots of great sushi places in ur area... time 4 u to go grab some ideas for us..lol

i wish i could get raw tuna here..might have to come up with a veggie one..yah i said veggie..lol

You could always use crab sticks :D

I can't decide if I'm going to do this one or not - I've made sushi before (took a class at a local kitchen shop once), and it's time-consuming. But oh so delicious!

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Wow ! I Get To Go First

Tuna, Salmon, red Snapper and Shrimp on a bed of Seaweed salad....
with a little Chinese Cabbage Drizzled with Sweet Chili Sauce .........

sushi009.jpg

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Oh WOW! Gorgeous Lucky, simply gorgeous! Way to step up and knock one out of the park! Awesome!!! :clap:

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
um......I guess I should mention that the seaweed salad was store-bought ready-to-serve............

High Cheese

Saucier
Hey Lucky Trim...that's how I roll.....

IMG_2649.jpg

IMG_2650.jpg

IMG_2651.jpg

IMG_2653.jpg

Whaddya think, I'd leave you all alone in this one? LOL

From left to right: Spicy tuna, shrimp/avocado/cucumber, cucumber. Since I didn't really have a nice server I made the walnut tray in my shop in like 10 minutes.

Bon Appetite :mrgreen:

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
10 MINTES ??
I shoulda paid more attention in wood shop ................

THX for not leaving me hang out there all alone..........I was beginning to wonder.."Who suggested this freakin' category, anyway"..........

Go get 'em HC; I also rolled some spicy tuna and seaweed , but they were sooooo ugly, I just ate the bastards !!

BTW- I LOVE those little dipping dishes................

High Cheese

Saucier
Thanks alot. That's only the second time I made maki. 1st time really sucked and I rolled too tight like I was making a .....lol, use your imagination. :bonk: This time I was a bit gentler and it came out pretty good. I nailed the spicy tuna using sriracha, soy and chive. The dishes are from a sushi set from Overstock.

High Cheese

Saucier
BTW - how did you get the shrimp to form that shape? I couldn't figure out how to make mine straight so I just kinda cut the "C" shape into straight pieces....which made the rolls kinda big.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
I used a VERY sharp boning knife, and was very careful..........

now let me vent

HEY BAM !
YOU SUGGESTED THIS FREAKIN' CATEGORY ........WHERE THE HELL ARE TOU ????

Deelady

wow beautiful you guys!!

Hey HC you would make a killing selling those trays esp if the labor only took 10 mins!! How much would you charge for one?? :D :)

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
awesome looking food...

my favorite is spicy tuna.

sadly i am not doing an entry this week. cant find most of the ingredients around here.

chowhound

I present to you, Tongue in Cheek Sushi.

Served in a sushi bowl that I found at a yard sale. I know what you're thinking... it sure looks a lot like an ashtray...

And served on a tray it took me ten minutes to find in my shop.... in the scrap pile....

:mrgreen:

Attachments

• sushi.jpg
    sushi.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 149

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter

Served in a sushi bowl that I found at a yard sale. I know what you're thinking... it sure looks a lot like an ashtray...

And served on a tray it took me ten minutes to find in my shop.... in the scrap pile....

:mrgreen::mrgreen::lol::lol:good one!!

High Cheese

Saucier

Great idea, we should mock all the entries in the IC contests. :applause:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Hey Lucky Trim...that's how I roll.....

IMG_2649.jpg

IMG_2650.jpg

IMG_2651.jpg

IMG_2653.jpg

Whaddya think, I'd leave you all alone in this one? LOL

From left to right: Spicy tuna, shrimp/avocado/cucumber, cucumber. Since I didn't really have a nice server I made the walnut tray in my shop in like 10 minutes.

Bon Appetite :mrgreen:

HOLY S**T! That is absolutely incredible. Good Lord man, you've taken food and presentation to a whole new level!! :applause::applause::applause: