Baby Onions

pharmerphil

I thought I'd show ours...They sure need to go out to the garden, I am on my 3rd. "haircut"
As you can see, they can get a lil shaggy!

First Pic: A tray of Sweet Spanish Before they got their trim.

vEKuzmH.jpg

2nd. Pic: After their Trim (easier than trimmin' yer kids hair...at least they sit still):bounce:

K3V3Pk9.jpg

3rd. Pic: Two small trays of Copra

64SWrXD.jpg

4th. Pic: Dakota Tears

8Tt9ZAL.jpg

5th. pic: Cortland

TR3QNt0.jpg

6th. pic: Rosa de Milano (rare red)Pholks, if you've gardened very long you find that "Rare" varieties usually are rare for a reason! (poor germination)
And next to them Red Wing (planted a little later than the others)

kPvjgAz.jpg

Now, I guess You COULD Throw the "trimmins" out...
BUT I DON"T THINK SO! :chef:

GCEmq2o.jpg

Last edited:

chilefarmer

Phil I love it. Reds don't do well for me. But the Rosa de Milano might. I am guessing an Italian variety? CF:wink:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Impressive, Phil!

I would love those trimmings, using them like chives ... in cottage cheese, especially. Best dip for potato chips!

Lee

Shermie

Site Supporter
That looks almost like grass, but in a nice way, of course.

Like chives or scallions.

pharmerphil

:tiphat: Thanks Folks...Chilifarmer those are an Italian heirloom...they are a long day variety however...Some have problems with reds here, but for northern gardeners, they are a great long day onion with fantastic storing qualities.

Lefty they are nice, thanks..and they be much nicer sliced up on a burger..especially those reds !

QSis & Leni...Oh yes, we had scrambled eggs, then we made an oven full of potatoes and made twice baked tators..
need to use up the stored potatoes anyway...so, killed 2 birds with one stone

Sherman..they are much bigger here than the first trimming, they are so frail then..
Thus the reason I trim them..less wind damage, we live and garden pretty much in the open with nothing but open farm fields to the south..sometimes they have to endure some darn tuff turbulence

By the time we get them set in..soon, I hope..they will be about as thick as a number 2 pencil....

HOWEVER...

The weather isn't cooperating..at ALL :soapbox:

8633559059_cde710a921_z.jpg