2 1/2 teaspoons double acting baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

Grease and flour 2 8-inch round cake pans.

Put everything in a large bowl. Beat on low speed just until blended, constantly scrapping the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Beat 3 minutes on high speed scrapping the bowl occasionally. Divide the batter evenly between the two pans. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on a wire rack.

Will also make 2 dozen cupcakes. Bake for 20 minutes.

Frost with Browned Butter Cream Frosting

1 16-ounce package confectioners sugar
6 tablespoons butter
3 to 4 tablespoons milk or half and half
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt

In a small skillet over medium heat, heat the butter until lightly browned. Cool to room temperature.

In a large bowl,beat all ingredients at medium speed until very smooth, adding more milk if necessary to make it the desired consistency.

I'll post pics as soon as I make it.

Last edited:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
This is it! Sounds amazing! Wish me luck, I'm gonna try to do this!! It may be a week or so, but I'm building up my courage as I type! Thank you!!!!

I can bake.....I can bake.....I can bake........:yum:

Any chance of me sending you a plane ticket to come here???? :lol:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
This shouldn't be any trouble to make. No complicated steps. If you need to build up your courage try my Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake recipe...you can't screw it up.

Thanks for the encouragement! Ok, I'm on it! Me and flour typically don't mix, but I got this! Thank you! My goal is to have this done by the end of the weekend!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Which one? or are you making both?

Both might kill me! :yum:

The Spice Cake. It's been so long since I had that, and that UK dessert has me thinking of it again, so that's what I'm doing. I love to grill, and cook with heat, but have never been much of a baker. It's time to broaden my horizons, and this is my challenge! Spice Cake......here we come! I'm so glad you came up with this recipe! Thank you!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Ok, DW knows I want to make this cake from scratch, and she knows we’re both not bakers (but I could cook a whole meal on your engine’s manifold!).

So when she went to get the steaks for tonight’s grilling, she grabbed a Duncan Hines Spice Cake box mix (didn’t know they made that!). She played with it and made it. It was really pretty easy!

So tomorrow we’re going to get all the ingredients for the homemade version and try it with “rounds” instead of the single square baking dish. More pics of the real deal to come later!

Here’s how the boxed version looked.

step1-23.jpg

Step2-18.jpg

step3-14.jpg

Mommy

From my Mama's recipe collection:

2 cups cake flour
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs
2 1/2 teaspoons double acting baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

Grease and flour 2 8-inch round cake pans.

Put everything in a large bowl. Beat on low speed just until blended, constantly scrapping the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Beat 3 minutes on high speed scrapping the bowl occasionally. Divide the batter evenly between the two pans. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on a wire rack.

Will also make 2 dozen cupcakes. Bake for 20 minutes.

Frost with Browned Butter Cream Frosting

1 16-ounce package confectioners sugar
6 tablespoons butter
3 to 4 tablespoons milk or half and half
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt

In a small skillet over medium heat, heat the butter until lightly browned. Cool to room temperature.

In a large bowl,beat all ingredients at medium speed until very smooth, adding more milk if necessary to make it the desired consistency.

I'll post pics as soon as I make it.
can i make thies is a buntd pan