Tanta Syvia's Hungarian Nut Horns

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
This is another family heirloom recipe from the Hungarian side. It can also qualify as a pastime and if you aren't careful they will be eaten as fast as you can make them. They are very special and great with tea or coffee. You cannot halve the recipe but you can make part of the dough, refrigerate the rest and finish up the next day after the initial overnight rise. We have updated things a bit by using more modern techniques to make the dough. Makes tons of little cookies.

Dough Ingredients:
8 oz sour cream
1 package dry yeast
3 egg yolks
4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 pound sweet margarine (not the light variety)
6 Tablespoons sugar
1 extra cup all purpose flour

Filling ingredients:
1 cup sugar
cinnamon to taste
1-1/4 cup ground walnuts or pecans
1 cup yellow raisins

Directions:

Step One:
Proof yeast: In a mesuring cup, place yeast in 1/4 cup warm water with a pinch of sugar. Set aside.

Step Two: (dough blade)
Take half pound of sweet margarine and 4 cups flour and 6 Tablespoons sugar and place in Quisinart bowl and pulse with the dough blade. You will be cutting the margarine into the flour and sugar.

Make a well. Separate your eggs and put the yolks in. Save the whites for another purpose. Put sour cream in. Add yeast. Process to form a ball. Don't leave the machine running long or you can kill the yeast.

If dough is sticky and extra flour to firm it up. Refrigerate the dough at least overnight. I usually shape it into a ball and put it in a plastic bag.

Divide dough in quarters. Roll each quarter very thin--as thin as you can on a lightly floured white sheet or tablecloth. Cut dough into small triangles. Place a little filling in the middle of each triangle and roll up from the wide end to the pointy end. I try to have a white raisin in each one.

I cut rectangles and then triangles up and down the dough after I roll it out.

Place the nut horns onto a cookie sheet and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 15-18 minutes until lightly browned. Watch them so they do not burn and remove them as they brown.

This recipe can also be rolled into 4 strudels and baked and sliced as well but I prefer them as nut horns.

You may need to make a little more filling depending upon how small you make the cookies. I make them bite size. Lots of work but really, really worth it.

Enjoy!