Technically very cool, but, scarry

K

Kimchee

I won't download an app that requires permission to control my camera.
For example, ebay's app... why in $$$$ do they need permission to take
pictures without my say so?
Also, facebook had an update that included this function. Haven't
updated that app since.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Kimchee agree. I never figured out why YouTube needs acceded to my personal info for me to look at a movie.

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
They have had stuff like this for years, and it's one reason I don't have a web cam on my monitor, or with the computer. It's digital, it CAN be hacked.

Google, even they got in a pickle a while back where apparently it could use a "hack" to turn on microphones unbeknownst to the user, and it would listen for key words, all of which to base user based advertising. SO say you are talking about the latest new set of pans, you log on, go online, and get ads for what you were talking about.

Granted, that is far more benign than THIS, that sh*t is just nuts, scary, and makes me realize just how everything with an eye(digital or not) can track ya. Nuts.

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
I am a little paranoid about any new technology that has the capability of coming into my personal space. I don't do facebook, twitter, et al. I don't pay bills online or bank online. The only way I pay for online purchases is with Paypal. My cell phone camera is never used, and after the school issuing computers to the schools that could take photos without the student's permission, the web cam is not used. Haven't taped of off as yet, but I will.
In two months the government is going to force me to get my SS check online. Why do I think that the government will never use that info for their own purposes?

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Yeah! this one concerns me. My cell rides on my belt pretty much wherever I go. The holster has the screen facing in and the camera facing out to protect the screen.

I wonder if companies that have sensitive or classified information have thought of this. It could be very serious there.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I did consulting work - and years back some companies required you leave your camera equipped cell phone "at the desk"

it was a real trick even back then to find a phone without a camera....

I think it was one of the Adobe products that had a security flaw where cretins could remotely activate any web cam attached. I think they fixed that - but I still have a dunce cap on the desktop cam and painter's tape over the notebook cam...